CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Mar 5, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #2,206 of 2,467
During the pandemic, they weren’t able to get parts to match the original design. In the case of the K30, they opted to discontinue it, but with the K50 they opted to do a redesign. They aimed to match the performance. @Triode User had one of each and I think he said that he didn’t notice much of a difference. The revised model gained a few additional outputs (optical and IIS over RJ45).

Original:
1678042969508.jpeg

Revised:

1678043032863.jpeg
Oh wow I did not know the difference, looks like I got a revised one, I also got mine the SAME month they price increased.

Such wonderful timing on my part.

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #2,207 of 2,467
Hello, I am interested in buying a second hand Antipodes server/player and I need advice.

Which would you choose between a CX/EX or an S30/S60?
I own CX/EX and love them. I don’t feel a desperate need to update anytime soon. Aesthetically the CX/EX are the pinnacle of the Antipodes servers IMO, especially in silver. They have the awesome green leds instead of the tacky blue ones that are so 2009. I have not heard the S series, but they are likely a step up sonically from CX/EX. However this is at the expense of having loads of boxes on your rack, by the time you get the server, player and associated power supplies for each. A like for like setup in the S series will cost about twice as much as a Cx/EX on the used market. The CX/EX can run the latest software, although updating the software is always somewhat stressfull.

Mar 10, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #2,210 of 2,467
thank you for your answer.

What do you mean by "stressful"?
Its not as smooth as updating the OS on an iPad for example. Depending on which apps you use there may be some teething problems which can usually be resolved with some questions on the support forum. In the worst case Antipodes support may need to remotely log in to your system to do some trouble shooting. I don’t think any of the competing servers are immune from these sort of issues.

Mar 10, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #2,211 of 2,467
I have the CE/EX combination also, excellent pairing. You have the option of powerful server and separate player units, or alternatively two separate server/player units, useful if you have more than one audio system. If you go for CX/EX or CX by itself make sure they/it have have been OLADRA-upgraded. I have never had a problem with software updates. I know from the Support forum that upgrades have occasionally caused glitches in some users' setups but they are always able to be resolved, usually fairly quickly, by the excellent Antipodes support team. I don't use Roon so that may be why I have had no issues.

Mar 10, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #2,212 of 2,467
Anyone in here have direct experience with the Grimm Audio MU1 vs the Antipodes K50?

Please do share if having direct experience.

A few folks have mentioned to me that the MU1 is more neutral than the K50, while the K50 is a touch warmer with a little more character, but I would prefer to hear from people in this thread specifically if they have experienced both!

Mar 10, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #2,213 of 2,467
Anyone in here have direct experience with the Grimm Audio MU1 vs the Antipodes K50?

Please do share if having direct experience.

A few folks have mentioned to me that the MU1 is more neutral than the K50, while the K50 is a touch warmer with a little more character, but I would prefer to hear from people in this thread specifically if they have experienced both!
You might start here at post #42:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...ew-a-new-force-in-digital-source.30426/page-3

Mar 11, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #2,214 of 2,467
I have the CE/EX combination also, excellent pairing. You have the option of powerful server and separate player units, or alternatively two separate server/player units, useful if you have more than one audio system. If you go for CX/EX or CX by itself make sure they/it have have been OLADRA-upgraded. I have never had a problem with software updates. I know from the Support forum that upgrades have occasionally caused glitches in some users' setups but they are always able to be resolved, usually fairly quickly, by the excellent Antipodes support team. I don't use Roon so that may be why I have had no issues.
I suspect that the number of CX/EX units that have been Oladra updated is a very small fraction of units available on the used market. The cost of the upgrade was such that it made more sense to just trade in on a used K series.

Mar 11, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #2,215 of 2,467
I suspect that the number of CX/EX units that have been Oladra updated is a very small fraction of units available on the used market. The cost of the upgrade was such that it made more sense to just trade in on a used K series.
Good guess, I would agree. I almost paid for the upgrade myself and decided not to, then proceeded to sell my units at a pretty big loss. Ouch.

I was introduced to Antipodes by getting the EX first then CX after, despite one of the antipodes reps reccomending CX first and EX second.

Apr 29, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #2,216 of 2,467
Does the K50 take gigabit connections via ethernet or its only up to 100mbps?

Apr 29, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #2,217 of 2,467
Apr 29, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #2,218 of 2,467
Awesome appreciate the response. Thank you.

Do you personally see any difference between using gigabit connection to k50 vs regular 100 mbps?

Apr 29, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #2,219 of 2,467
Awesome appreciate the response. Thank you.

Do you personally see any difference between using gigabit connection to k50 vs regular 100 mbps?
I have no way to make that comparison. At present, the EtherRegen reduces it to 100mbps. Bypassing the moat in the ER gets me gigabit but at a loss of fidelity because the moat really helps. I am itching to move to another product that gives me gigabit with no loss of fidelity and hope that the EtherRegen Gen2 does that at a minimum. I will never purchase another product that maxes out at 100mbps.

Apr 29, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #2,220 of 2,467
I have no way to make that comparison. At present, the EtherRegen reduces it to 100mbps. Bypassing the moat in the ER gets me gigabit but at a loss of fidelity because the moat really helps. I am itching to move to another product that gives me gigabit with no loss of fidelity and hope that the EtherRegen Gen2 does that at a minimum. I will never purchase another product that maxes out at 100mbps.
I stopped using the EtherRegen because of that. I haven’t noticed a big drop in sq, or maybe I’ve just adjusted to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back