CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Mar 3, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #2,191 of 2,535
Would majority of the votes here say that for potential customers having choice of ONLY server or ONLY player, which would you nudge them towards?

From my own experience, I would nudge them towards player first, despite antipodes customer support always mentioning get the CX over EX when back then they were the flagship combo.

They still are amazing products to this very day, do not misunderstand!
I agree on player first. The player is designed for sound but can still handle a smaller library to use as server/player.

Mar 3, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #2,192 of 2,535
From my own experience, I would nudge them towards player first, despite antipodes customer support always mentioning get the CX over EX when back then they were the flagship combo.
Going for the Player first seems to be what Antipodes is recommending on the S series page here. Scroll down and it mentions that the “second step (after the S60) is to add an S40 to perform the Server app duties.”

Mar 4, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #2,193 of 2,535
Just get oladra and be done with it. :))

Mar 4, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #2,194 of 2,535
I've been following you with interest for a long time and thanks to your enthusiasm I'm seriously considering a used K50, or if I'm lucky enough, an Oladra....
I had an Innuos Zenith MK3, what should I expect from these two "beasts"?

Mar 4, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #2,195 of 2,535
I had an Innuos Zenith MK3, what should I expect from these two "beasts"
I moved from a Zenith Mk3 to a K30. I then later got the chance to try a K50. I posted my impressions of K30 vs K50 here.

The K30 was big step up from the Zenith in terms of tonal density, weight, fullness and also dynamics. I thought it brought all the best qualities of listening to really good vinyl to my system. The K50 takes it quite a bit further in all those areas. In addition it is able to convey more lifelike energy from the performance. That is one of those things you have to hear to believe as it moves things much closer to making you think you are hearing a live performance more so than just listening to a recording.

Mar 4, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #2,196 of 2,535
Thanks Kenny, can't wait to try one of these at home. By now I think it's only a matter of time, I also think that there isn't much on the market at Antipodes levels....Finally, there is also an importer in Italy that I will visit soon. I also think that my simple system can support a valuable source.
In the meantime, I read everything possible.

P.S: I read that Oladra arrived at TriodeUser, since then she hasn't written anymore. Is he glued to the listening room chair? :joy:

Mar 4, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #2,197 of 2,535
I also think that my simple system can support a valuable source.
In the meantime, I read everything possible.
Your DAVE will thank you repeatedly for providing it with a fantastic source.

I do think that the reviews of the K50 have been largely spot on. The benefits tend to be consistent across good systems.

I read that Oladra arrived at TriodeUser, since then she hasn't written anymore. Is he glued to the listening room chair?
You may be onto something. :relaxed:

Mar 4, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #2,198 of 2,535
Going for the Player first seems to be what Antipodes is recommending on the S series page here. Scroll down and it mentions that the “second step (after the S60) is to add an S40 to perform the Server app duties.”
Thanks for mentioning this, back when CX and EX were the go to items, I was being told get the CX prior to EX and I was always suspicious of the intentions as the CX happened to be more expensive.

I like how Antipodes makes this clear on their website now so that its straight forward.

Any owner had their Antipodes repaired or warrantied recently? Was it smooth?

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #2,199 of 2,535
Any owner had their Antipodes repaired or warrantied recently? Was it smooth?
My K30 had a nonfunctional SSD slot. I requested a repair and was promptly issued a shipping label. A few weeks later it was back and good as new.

Mar 4, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #2,200 of 2,535
My K30 had a nonfunctional SSD slot. I requested a repair and was promptly issued a shipping label. A few weeks later it was back and good as new.
Awesome, good to hear. Did it get shipped to New Zealand?

Recently my K50 was shipped there and back pretty fast, about to test the HDMI port (noise issue) in a few days, crossing fingers and hoping its fixed.

Mar 4, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #2,201 of 2,535
Mar 5, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #2,202 of 2,535
No, Denver. They have a repair center there.
Gotcha mine got sent to New Zealand to check out the HDMI port noise, for some reason since day 1 my HDMI port had noise/static type sounds when listening to music in the background. Went thru tech support multiple times and could not figure out why, they sent it to New Zealand and back pretty quick and now will test tomorrow. Mark Cole mentioned to me they replaced the player board.

Crossing fingers, hoping that noise is gone! Will report Monday.

Mar 5, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #2,203 of 2,535
I have a doubt, are there different revisions of the K50? I don't remember where but I was reading differences between the first products and the most recent ones.
Does anyone know more?

Mar 5, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #2,204 of 2,535
I have a doubt, are there different revisions of the K50?
During the pandemic, they weren’t able to get parts to match the original design. In the case of the K30, they opted to discontinue it, but with the K50 they opted to do a redesign. They aimed to match the performance. @Triode User had one of each and I think he said that he didn’t notice much of a difference. The revised model gained a few additional outputs (optical and IIS over RJ45).

Original:
1678042969508.jpeg

Revised:

1678043032863.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back