CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Jul 4, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #2,236 of 2,535
looks like DX3 might have reached its upgrade plateau. Im cool with it but this company stops for no one it seems.
It should not be missed that this round of upgrades will trickle down the power supply found in the Oladra to the K series. I figured this would eventually happen but never imagined that it would happen so quickly. The downside though is that Antipodes seems to be abandoning the previous power supply technology altogether. The new supply requires a larger chassis so models that don’t have that aren’t able to benefit.

Ths big question will be how Antipodes addresses the lower price points with the S series now discontinued. I hope they do fill this gap.

Jul 5, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #2,237 of 2,535
I ended up ridding Grimm mu1 and kept the k50, mu1 bit flatter sounding and less organic than k50. I also do not like the idea of upsampling prior to my DAC which also then upsamples to DSD.

Looks like the k50 will be with me longer, I do not plan to upgrade for 4k USD though. I do have revised model.

Jul 9, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #2,238 of 2,535
Pulled the trigger on the K30 upgrade. My purchase this year was going to be the upcoming EE Raven iem but bang for the buck this should bring greater results. I just hope things don’t get stuck in customs as did the K30 purchase.

Jul 9, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #2,239 of 2,535
Pulled the trigger on the K30 upgrade.
I suspect the upgraded K30 is going to be a giant-killer. Nothing for the total price (including upgrade) will come close, providing that one only needs USB.

Jul 14, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #2,240 of 2,535
I recently picked up the MPS-X, should be interesting to swap/take out/combine the MUON System/K50/MPS-X.

I myself am curious if the MPS-X can stand alone be better than the K50 specifically for PBD DACS since they are optimized to work together via PLINK. I of course would never expect the MPS-X to be better as a stand alone to non PBD DACS since it does now allow PLINK connection.

MPS-X does not come until Sept/Oct but am looking forward to trialing/experimenting.

1. Muon + K50
2. Muon + MPS-X
3. Muon + K50 + MPS-X

Taking MUON in and out of all options listed above... should be fun.

The MUON for me made extremely significant improvements when going into the K50, so I am looking forward to this experiment.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 2:14 AM Post #2,241 of 2,535
I myself am curious if the MPS-X can stand alone be better than the K50 specifically for PBD DACS since they are optimized to work together via PLINK.
The PLINK interface has the potential to be a big deal. The MPS-X’s use of DLNA is a bit of a disappointment though. Roon Ready is supported so maybe you should try the K50 as the Roon Core.

Jul 15, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #2,242 of 2,535
Yes that is likely what's going to end up happening, but the experiments of taking in and out the MUON with the 3 combos listed above should be fun.

Aug 31, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #2,243 of 2,535
It should not be missed that this round of upgrades will trickle down the power supply found in the Oladra to the K series. I figured this would eventually happen but never imagined that it would happen so quickly. The downside though is that Antipodes seems to be abandoning the previous power supply technology altogether. The new supply requires a larger chassis so models that don’t have that aren’t able to benefit.

Ths big question will be how Antipodes addresses the lower price points with the S series now discontinued. I hope they do fill this gap.
Having discovered the merits of the 4-wire sensing feature in the $1K Ferrum Hypsos power supply, I have been re evaluating it for the EtherRegen, the digital section in my DAC bypassing its integral AC regenerator, and this evening, bypassing the $4K PS upgrade in both my CX and EX.
In a word - I'm deflated that the Hypsos is a good 10% better than the CX/EX factory upgrade in terms of detail, relaxed treble definition, naturalness and holographic image specificity.
And that's using temporary Rube Goldberg wiring.
I'd like to leave the Hypsos in place with best executed wiring of course. Swallowing the pill that my short-lived CX/EX $4K PS upgrade is now obsolete is hard.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #2,244 of 2,535
Having discovered the merits of the 4-wire sensing feature in the $1K Ferrum Hypsos power supply, I have been re evaluating it for the EtherRegen, the digital section in my DAC bypassing its integral AC regenerator, and this evening, bypassing the $4K PS upgrade in both my CX and EX.
In a word - I'm deflated that the Hypsos is a good 10% better than the CX/EX factory upgrade in terms of detail, relaxed treble definition, naturalness and holographic image specificity.
And that's using temporary Rube Goldberg wiring.
I'd like to leave the Hypsos in place with best executed wiring of course. Swallowing the pill that my short-lived CX/EX $4K PS upgrade is now obsolete is hard.
Hi Presence,

Oops .. I also had the usd4k oladra upgrade to my cx and ex stack and hence the interest to know more.

Please advise how you can bypass this "usd4k PS upgrade" in both cx and ex to compare with the Ferrum Hypsos ?

Tks !

Richard

Sep 1, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #2,245 of 2,535
Hi Richard,

To do at your own risk, I PM'd you with the specifics.
Any questions feel free to ask.

Rich M

Sep 1, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #2,246 of 2,535
I would be interested to know who else has upgraded the power supply in any Antipodes server.
When I looked into the K50 I was some-what deflated to see hardware that was cheap compared to the Takio even taking into account the price difference.
The new upgrade for the Oladra is 4 k for a motherboard swap seems expensive ...even more if your purchasing the new Oladra mk2 as that player board is 4k more expensive than the original motherboard version.
This implies the new motherboard 4k plus the cost of the old motherboard....
A very expensive indeed.

Sep 1, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #2,248 of 2,535
- - deleted - -

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #2,249 of 2,535
Hi @Presence , I was interested to read of your power supply experiment with your CX and EX. I have been working up my levels of courage to the point where I will do a similar thing connecting an outboard LPS to my Antipodes Oladra. . . . . . .

I mean, what could possibly go wrong? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sep 1, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #2,250 of 2,535
Did you find out the make model of the old power supply ?
Not sure if your inquiry was directed to me....
I did remove the legacy LPSs before I sent them to the factory for PS upgrade.
Even more minimalist appearing than the upgrade.
Revision: 9/9 - added image of CX/EX G3 upgraded board

Attachments

• IMG_0748.jpg
    IMG_0748.jpg
    495.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0767.jpg
    IMG_0767.jpg
    579 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back