CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
May 8, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #496 of 2,412
I prioritize music discovery higher. I spent all that money to give me the best sounding music discovery platform that I could afford.
Agree 100%. I pretty much just start with one track I like and let Roon radio do its stuff. I would typically add five or six new albums to my library in every listening session.

I am interested in trying stuff like PGGB for one or two tracks just to hear the current state of the art, but there is no way it is workable for me as a regular listening solution.

May 8, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #497 of 2,412
Roon/HQPlayer is massively good. PGGB will not be the usual listening mode for me after the honeymoon. I’m already back to sinc-L lns15 and discovering some great prog. Maybe listening to a favorite owned Yes album will bring out the PGGB on occasion. I do feel a license is in the future for those desert island albums. The beauty of Antipodes is how easy it is to switch between players.
PGGB the MoFi reissue of The Yes Album and you will be amazed.

And yeah Antipodes sure does make it easy to switch between servers/players.

May 8, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #498 of 2,412
Agree 100%. I pretty much just start with one track I like and let Roon radio do its stuff. I would typically add five or six new albums to my library in every listening session.

I am interested in trying stuff like PGGB for one or two tracks just to hear the current state of the art, but there is no way it is workable for me as a regular listening solution.

I use Roon Radio in the same way. Daytime listening tends to be more about music discovery. Later in the evening I shutdown Roon and just listen to PGGB processed albums in their entirety using HQPlayer. There is an uptick in sound quality but not enough to ruin Roon for me.

May 9, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #499 of 2,412
I use Roon Radio in the same way. Daytime listening tends to be more about music discovery. Later in the evening I shutdown Roon and just listen to PGGB processed albums in their entirety using HQPlayer. There is an uptick in sound quality but not enough to ruin Roon for me.
That can surely only be because you have not tried MPD in comparison for sound quality using it to play PGGB processed albums. In my system, my ears YMMV etc etc it throws a stark light on the shortcomings of using HQP for PGGB playback and highlights even more the SQ shortcomings of Roon. 🤪

May 9, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #500 of 2,412
I see that the K50, S20, and P2 have a Femto Master Word Clock BNC output. I have not found more info on the specs of this option. I am curious whether this would be suitable and beneficial for connection to an EtherRegen. Do any of you have experience using this clock and/or can share specs on it.

May 10, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #501 of 2,412
PGGB the MoFi reissue of The Yes Album and you will be amazed.

And yeah Antipodes sure does make it easy to switch between servers/players.
I pggb’d the Steven Wilson remixes of all my Yes stuff. I’ve listened to Yes for 50 years and PGGB has renewed the love. Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson library are next. This third wave lockdown for us has given time for this wonderful discovery.

May 10, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #502 of 2,412
I pggb’d the Steven Wilson remixes of all my Yes stuff. I’ve listened to Yes for 50 years and PGGB has renewed the love. Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson library are next. This third wave lockdown for us has given time for this wonderful discovery.
Which settings are you using on PGGB? These? (I'm just processing my Yes collection in the background at the moment.)

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 13.58.20.png

May 10, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #503 of 2,412
Which settings are you using on PGGB? These? (I'm just processing my Yes collection in the background at the moment.)

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 13.58.20.png
All my settings are the same except HF Noise Filter which is moderate.

May 18, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #506 of 2,412
Would there be a kind gent, other genders are available, who would be able to do a few conversations to allow me the opportunity to test PGGB. My lowly PC would burst into flames at the attempt to do the conversion.
I have done this for a few people. I will message you.

May 19, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #507 of 2,412
I only use MPD as to me it was the better sounding player app after testing them all.

May 19, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #508 of 2,412
Many thanks to @Triode User who kindly converted one of my files with PGGB, upscaled with 265M taps.
Comparing the PGGB file to the redbook track upscaled in real time with HQP (sincL LNS15), the PGGB file is clearly better.
It gives more of what 2M tap upscaling does in HQ Player. The easiest way to describe the difference is that the PGGB file sounds closer to live music.

I think it is something I will consider investing in if I can wrap my head around the IT logistics. I think there is a market for someone to design a bespoke computer that has what is needed for PGGB processing and nothing more. Preferably in a compact case.

May 19, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #509 of 2,412
Just posted on AS as to the plus minus of wavpack. Thoughts?

May 19, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #510 of 2,412
Many thanks to @Triode User who kindly converted one of my files with PGGB, upscaled with 265M taps.
Comparing the PGGB file to the redbook track upscaled in real time with HQP (sincL LNS15), the PGGB file is clearly better.
It gives more of what 2M tap upscaling does in HQ Player. The easiest way to describe the difference is that the PGGB file sounds closer to live music.

I think it is something I will consider investing in if I can wrap my head around the IT logistics. I think there is a market for someone to design a bespoke computer that has what is needed for PGGB processing and nothing more. Preferably in a compact case.
I’m glad you liked the pggb file I processed for you.

I use my iMac for the processing and it just does it in the background whilst I am doing my work on it.

I like pggb a lot but much of my listening is streamed so I will continue to use the Mscaler for that and also for the vast bulk of my locally stored files on the K50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back