CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
May 6, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #481 of 2,412
Roon offers a nuc now, pretty cheap fanless ssd but I think not 10-12 cores and 128 gig of ram u need for this monster

May 6, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #482 of 2,412
Apologies in advance for the long post, it's a complicated problem with my Antipodes CX; I haven't gotten great answers from Antipodes on this issue so I'm asking here.

ISSUE:
I am having terrible problems getting my CX back onto the network, EVERY time I have to power it down. As such I encounter the issue infrequently, but every time it happens the CX is so resistant to joining the network that I am close to throwing it out a window. :)

Is anyone else having this problem?

DETAILS:
cable co modem > home office wifi router > in-wall CAT7 > EtherRegen (with LPS1.5) > WireWorld ethernet cable > CX network 1; CX network 2 > Audioquest ethernet cable > EX network 1 > Audioquest USB > Antipodes P2 > PS Audio HDMI > MM Tambaqui.

CX is connected to a PS Audio P5 power regenerator via an old Van den Hul MainsStream power cable; EX is connected to the P5 via a PS Audio AC12.

Generally the problem is: when I reconnect power and ethernet to the CX, and flip the back switch to on, wait for the front light to go orange, and press the front switch, it flashes green, then turns solid green: at that point the CX is not connected to the network. I've tried it with CX network 1 connected to the EtherRegen 'A' side (gigabit) and 'B' side (10/100), and straight into my wall jack (direct to router), and with the EX ethernet cable connected to the CX or not. In every case I confirm orange and green link lights on both ends, in every case I confirm connectivity of other devices on the EtherRegen. I try booting, rebooting, disconnecting everything and rebooting, rebooting the EtherRegen, rebooting my stupid router; it just doesn't work, until it does, and I haven't been able to isolate the extraordinary special conditions that make it finally join the network. Once it joins the network everything is normal.

But perhaps all of the above is just a symptom: I feel like my CX simply does not power on quite correctly. On many occasions when i click the green light to power it down, it blinks green forever and won't shut down. Sometimes it remains blinking green when operating normally -- i.e. Roon is working but the light is flashing green. Earlier today I got a flash of network connectivity when I clicked the green button, it started flashing green for about 20 seconds *during whcih time it showed up on the network*, then went to orange and disconnected again. After today's 2-hr troubleshooting session, I finally have the expletive thing working, but it is Orange. Seriously. My CX is solid orange, I'm listening to high-res Qobuz via Roon, and my EX, which always works exactly as expected, is sounding great and solid green. It is a weird sight. SEE ATTACHED.

I'm listening again, and it goes without saying that given the trauma I endure every time I will not be unplugging this thing again any time soon, but it shouldn't [not] work this way. Any help much appreciated.
You could try this...
  1. Power the server down from the front button.
  2. Turn off the power switch at the rear.
  3. Switch the power on again at the rear and the front panel switch will light up.
  4. As soon as the front panel switch lights up, click the button once, and the front panel light will pulse
  5. Listen for a beep, which indicates that the unit has ‘posted’. Make sure step 3 (pressing the button) happens before the beep.
  6. The server will now boot up and the front panel light should be solid green.

May 6, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #483 of 2,412
Just curious, what is the cheapest way to build a computer capable of running PGGB?
I was poking around on the Dell web site and it looks like anything with enough memory will cost ££££
I use a 2010 Mac Pro. There are lots of these on eBay. A 4- or 6-core model with 32 GB of RAM would be sufficient for processing PCM. Easy to add more should you also want to process DSD.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #484 of 2,412
I actually have a 2008 Mac Pro with 32 Gb ram. However Apple have blocked software updates, so I can’t get anything better than El Crapitan. I understand PGGB needs Mojave.

May 7, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #485 of 2,412
I actually have a 2008 Mac Pro with 32 Gb ram. However Apple have blocked software updates, so I can’t get anything better than El Crapitan. I understand PGGB needs Mojave.
Quite a hassle but you could run Windows in a virtual machine using Vmware Fusion (my choice) or Paralells. I have not tried this.

May 8, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #486 of 2,412
Apologies in advance for the long post, it's a complicated problem with my Antipodes CX; I haven't gotten great answers from Antipodes on this issue so I'm asking here.

ISSUE:
I am having terrible problems getting my CX back onto the network, EVERY time I have to power it down. As such I encounter the issue infrequently, but every time it happens the CX is so resistant to joining the network that I am close to throwing it out a window. :)

Is anyone else having this problem?

DETAILS:
cable co modem > home office wifi router > in-wall CAT7 > EtherRegen (with LPS1.5) > WireWorld ethernet cable > CX network 1; CX network 2 > Audioquest ethernet cable > EX network 1 > Audioquest USB > Antipodes P2 > PS Audio HDMI > MM Tambaqui.

CX is connected to a PS Audio P5 power regenerator via an old Van den Hul MainsStream power cable; EX is connected to the P5 via a PS Audio AC12.

Generally the problem is: when I reconnect power and ethernet to the CX, and flip the back switch to on, wait for the front light to go orange, and press the front switch, it flashes green, then turns solid green: at that point the CX is not connected to the network. I've tried it with CX network 1 connected to the EtherRegen 'A' side (gigabit) and 'B' side (10/100), and straight into my wall jack (direct to router), and with the EX ethernet cable connected to the CX or not. In every case I confirm orange and green link lights on both ends, in every case I confirm connectivity of other devices on the EtherRegen. I try booting, rebooting, disconnecting everything and rebooting, rebooting the EtherRegen, rebooting my stupid router; it just doesn't work, until it does, and I haven't been able to isolate the extraordinary special conditions that make it finally join the network. Once it joins the network everything is normal.

But perhaps all of the above is just a symptom: I feel like my CX simply does not power on quite correctly. On many occasions when i click the green light to power it down, it blinks green forever and won't shut down. Sometimes it remains blinking green when operating normally -- i.e. Roon is working but the light is flashing green. Earlier today I got a flash of network connectivity when I clicked the green button, it started flashing green for about 20 seconds *during whcih time it showed up on the network*, then went to orange and disconnected again. After today's 2-hr troubleshooting session, I finally have the expletive thing working, but it is Orange. Seriously. My CX is solid orange, I'm listening to high-res Qobuz via Roon, and my EX, which always works exactly as expected, is sounding great and solid green. It is a weird sight. SEE ATTACHED.

I'm listening again, and it goes without saying that given the trauma I endure every time I will not be unplugging this thing again any time soon, but it shouldn't [not] work this way. Any help much appreciated.
I just had a very similar problem and it was ultimately ascribed to corruption in the OS. What version are you using? Version 2,8 was a disaster for me and took my occasional start up issues in 2.7 and turned them into a permanent headache. You should talk to support about reinstalling the 2.7 OS, as that worked for me. From the symptoms describe, I doubt that a simple on/off reboot technique will resolve the issue if the OS is indeed corrupted.

May 8, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #487 of 2,412
I understand PGGB needs Mojave.

That was the oldest version confirmed to work amongst the beta users. It's unknown whether it will work on older versions. Give it a shot and see what happens.

May 8, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #488 of 2,412
Quite a hassle but you could run Windows in a virtual machine using Vmware Fusion (my choice) or Paralells. I have not tried this.
I was doing this before the Mac version came out. It worked really well.

May 8, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #489 of 2,412
I was doing this before the Mac version came out. It worked really well.
I’ve found MPD playing from internal ssd removes another veil for PGGB playback. On my EX (2.8) my MPD is 0.22.6. I‘ve heard from another K user that they are a couple versions back and limited to control software. Have you tried this?

May 8, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #491 of 2,412
I’ve found MPD playing from internal ssd removes another veil for PGGB playback. On my EX (2.8) my MPD is 0.22.6. I‘ve heard from another K user that they are a couple versions back and limited to control software. Have you tried this?
I’m not sure I can handle the truth. By that I mean that I really don’t want it made obvious to me yet the degree to which Roon/HQP is veiled. I’m still enjoying my relatively new K30 way too much. I spent all this money so I could get back to enjoying Roon again and don’t want to spoil it.

May 8, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #492 of 2,412
May 8, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #493 of 2,412
I’m not sure I can handle the truth. By that I mean that I really don’t want it made obvious to me yet the degree to which Roon/HQP is veiled. I’m still enjoying my relatively new K30 way too much. I spent all this money so I could get back to enjoying Roon again and don’t want to spoil it.

It is easy to kid oneself that the sound is ok.

Until you hear how good your system can really be . . . .

You spent all that money so why restrict the sound quality? 🤪 🤪 🤣

May 8, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #494 of 2,412
You spent all that money so why restrict the sound quality?
I prioritize music discovery higher. I spent all that money to give me the best sounding music discovery platform that I could afford.

May 8, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #495 of 2,412
Roon/HQPlayer is massively good. PGGB will not be the usual listening mode for me after the honeymoon. I’m already back to sinc-L lns15 and discovering some great prog. Maybe listening to a favorite owned Yes album will bring out the PGGB on occasion. I do feel a license is in the future for those desert island albums. The beauty of Antipodes is how easy it is to switch between players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back