CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Apr 29, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #451 of 2,412
Question, any canada perspective due to geographic licensing , but for anyone. If you download music onto your hard drives , what service for high res do you use? Looks like apple music lossless is no longer compatible with roon. I don't buy cd,s but i do love antipodes ripper so there is that, but who wants a physical disk? you can go to settings, library, skipped files and see that the stream is no longer compatible
I get cd or better downloads from pro studio masters, 7digital.ca, bandcamp. With vpn and paypal I use all the other stores. I use dbpoweramp to convert aiff files to lossless flac.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #452 of 2,412
Question, any canada perspective due to geographic licensing , but for anyone. If you download music onto your hard drives , what service for high res do you use? Looks like apple music lossless is no longer compatible with roon. I don't buy cd,s but i do love antipodes ripper so there is that, but who wants a physical disk? you can go to settings, library, skipped files and see that the stream is no longer compatible
ProStudioMasters is in Canada so they are a great option for Canadian purchasers. I’ve purchased a few items from them by HDTracks has been my main source. Lately I’ve started purchasing from the Qobuz download store as well as the version they sell matches what they stream (though not everything they stream is available for download).

I’m surprised to hear that Apple Lossless is no longer compatible with Roon. Are you sure about that?

Apr 30, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #453 of 2,412
ProStudioMasters is in Canada so they are a great option for Canadian purchasers. I’ve purchased a few items from them by HDTracks has been my main source. Lately I’ve started purchasing from the Qobuz download store as well as the version they sell matches what they stream (though not everything they stream is available for download).

I’m surprised to hear that Apple Lossless is no longer compatible with Roon. Are you sure about that?
Hey Kenny... Have you dropped the mscaler from your chain? I don’t see in your sig.

Apr 30, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #454 of 2,412
Hey Kenny... Have you dropped the mscaler from your chain? I don’t see in your sig.
Yup...it's listed for sale on Audiophile Style's classified section. I use HQPlayer for scaling anything that's not been processed with PGGB. PGGB is described here and it's really something special.

May 1, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #455 of 2,412
Yup...it's listed for sale on Audiophile Style's classified section. I use HQPlayer for scaling anything that's not been processed with PGGB. PGGB is described here and it's really something special.
I am also playing with PGGB but unlike Kenny I do not rate HQP for scaling and so my main listening is still with the Mscaler.

May 1, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #456 of 2,412

I’m not sure about what happens after big sur iOS update but my apple Music according to roon settings skipped files is no longer compatible, roon support helped to identify, antipodes also drilled down to compatibility and trying to adjust permissions, the only avenue I haven’t tried, is appple support. But looking for alternate sources. If anyone here uses Apple I tunes downloads and could help…… sure but I may move on?

May 1, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #457 of 2,412
I am definitely going to give this a try. Right now I am enjoying HQPlayer Desktop to DSD256, ext2, 7ec. For no upsampling I use the EX with HQPlayer Embedded pcm, none,none,none to bypass the roon engine. This is where I will play the PGGB files.

May 1, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #458 of 2,412
pro studio works great thx, about 4 bucks per album more than iTunes but the sound is better. on the negative can't play on my apple TV now these new downloads, but roon is on my network so my portable hugo is fine and of course my desktop. Oh ya my wife apple iPhone won't get these tunes but she won't mind. she has 120 gigs

May 1, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #459 of 2,412
My first PGGB conversion went well and the sound is definitely a step up from my HQPlayer scaling. I will need to try a few more conversions before I would get a license.

May 2, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #460 of 2,412
PGGB looks interesting. Looks like you need quite a high end computer to run it.
It is probably not for me since I mostly listen to Tidal now. I suppose in a few short years the computing power will be sufficient to do the same standard of processing on the fly.

May 2, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #461 of 2,412
PGGB looks interesting. Looks like you need quite a high end computer to run it.
It is probably not for me since I mostly listen to Tidal now. I suppose in a few short years the computing power will be sufficient to do the same standard of processing on the fly.
It’s seems memory is the important thing. I have only 16gb on a 2018 MacbookPro. I tried to convert a 22 min prog masterpiece (Close To The Edge) and it quit at 12:40. That 12:40 was pretty impressive. As I mostly stream these days I will be sticking to HQPlayer. With my setup I am able to do quick A/B compares and sinc-L, lns15 was very very close, lacking in a bit of body and air around the vocals.

May 2, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #462 of 2,412
It’s seems memory is the important thing. I have only 16gb on a 2018 MacbookPro. I tried to convert a 22 min prog masterpiece (Close To The Edge) and it quit at 12:40. That 12:40 was pretty impressive. As I mostly stream these days I will be sticking to HQPlayer. With my setup I am able to do quick A/B compares and sinc-L, lns15 was very very close, lacking in a bit of body and air around the vocals.

Yeah memory is needed for sure. You can try to reduce the max taps setting to if it'll get through that entire song. Not sure what the default is when you have only 16 GB.

I just checked the number of taps it chose for the two versions of Close to Edge that I processed. It was 821 million taps for the Steve Wilson remix. The DSD version on the AudioFidelity SACD came in at 2048 million taps (wow!). DSD processing takes a very long time and requires a lot of memory, but the processed files are much improved.

May 2, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #463 of 2,412
It might have been heat. I had that issue at first with an iMac and used a third party free utility to manually set the cooling fans to max and then it was happy to do long tracks. The automatic heat sensing for the fans did not react fast enough and that was why PGGB was falling over.

May 2, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #464 of 2,412

It might have been heat. I had that issue at first with an iMac and used a third party free utility to manually set the cooling fans to max and then it was happy to do long tracks. The automatic heat sensing for the fans did not react fast enough and that was why PGGB was falling over.
The first try was the whole album of 3 tracks. It also quit at 12:40 and went on to the next track finishing the album. Interesting...

May 3, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #465 of 2,412
The first try was the whole album of 3 tracks. It also quit at 12:40 and went on to the next track finishing the album. Interesting...
For long tracks that would exceed the 3GB limit for WAV files iPGGB splits the track into segments, each less than the 3GB limit. I wonder if it is anything to do with that. I will also have a go processing and see where the split is made.

if interested you could contact the developer and perhaps send him the log file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back