CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Apr 29, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #2,401 of 2,437
my amsv5 seems to work fine, but there seems to be a s--t show at antipodes for rolling out 5.1? is this correct, they were looking for end of april but now its held off until further notice? or did mark cole stop the 5.0 rollout?

Apr 29, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #2,402 of 2,437
It's on the forum, unforeseen issues so delayed.

Apr 30, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #2,403 of 2,437
Would you rather invest in a new K22, a Muon Pro ethernet cable and a Puritan 156? Or for a little more money in a K50 or Oladra second hand? M Roon server is on a Intel NUC, and my cables would be 20€ stock cables. In both cases I’d be broke :). See the rest of my chain in my sig.

Apr 30, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #2,404 of 2,437
Would you rather invest in a new K22, a Muon Pro ethernet cable and a Puritan 156? Or for a little more money in a K50 or Oladra second hand? M Roon server is on a Intel NUC, and my cables would be 20€ stock cables. In both cases I’d be broke :). See the rest of my chain in my sig.
Also keep your eyes peeled for an older K50. You can get HQ to upgrade it until August. Price for upgrade is on the website, if you get a good deal on a used K50 it might work out well including upgrade cost, that's the route I went rather than a new K22.

Apr 30, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #2,405 of 2,437
There is a discussion going on over on the 'roon optimization guide for increased sound quality thread'. Some are using FMCs to insert fibre into their chain to remove noise. Some report that doing so makes the sound more clean and sterile. My question below may be better posted here so I include below. Cheers.

So no matter where the FMCs are in the chain the sound is more clean and sterile? In my system I can put them between router and audio grade switch or switch and Antipodes CX (server) or between the CX and the Antipodes EX (player). I'm hoping different positions will render different results because for me clean and sterile would be disappointing.

Apr 30, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #2,406 of 2,437
just concerning usb, those that use it. big thumbs up for dx3 oladra into innous phoenix usb re locker regenerator

Apr 30, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #2,407 of 2,437
just concerning usb, those that use it. big thumbs up for dx3 oladra into innous phoenix usb re locker regenerator
$5600.00 cad! The G4 upgrade to my K30 did that and more for much less.

Apr 30, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #2,408 of 2,437
$5600.00 cad! The G4 upgrade to my K30 did that and more for much less.
Everyday is a winding road and I get a little closer to feeling fine. Got a 20% disc on the qt

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #2,409 of 2,437
Everyday is a winding road and I get a little closer to feeling fine. Got a 20% disc on the qt
Discount… music to the Canadian ear. Enjoy!

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #2,410 of 2,437
Some are using FMCs to insert fibre into their chain to remove noise. Some report that doing so makes the sound more clean and sterile.

When the topic of fiber comes up, there tend to be some who are inclined to make generalizations. The problem with that is that fiber can be implemented in ways that don’t serve audio well. It can also be implemented in ways that serve audio very well, but it takes additional cost and care to select the right FMCs and SFPs. I implemented a solution that involves use of an EtherRegen on one end and a Sonore opticalModule on the other with Finisar SFPs that sounded best to me out of a half dozen or so that I tried. The result was that it caused my network to be less detrimental to the sound. Clean in a good way but definitely not sterile.

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #2,411 of 2,437
When the topic of fiber comes up, there tend to be some who are inclined to make generalizations. The problem with that is that fiber can be implemented in ways that don’t serve audio well. It can also be implemented in ways that serve audio very well, but it takes additional cost and care to select the right FMCs and SFPs. I implemented a solution that involves use of an EtherRegen on one end and a Sonore opticalModule on the other with Finisar SFPs that sounded best to me out of a half dozen or so that I tried. The result was that it caused my network to be less detrimental to the sound. Clean in a good way but definitely not sterile.
Understood. I went for the much more budget friendly solution here: https://www.amazon.com/10Gtek-Gigabit-SingleMode-Ethernet-Converter/dp/B0995KVS2Y Based on your description above, there is every chance this will not serve audio well.

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:54 PM Post #2,412 of 2,437
Based on your description above, there is every chance this will not serve audio well.
Always best though to let your ears decide. There’s a chance you might hear an improvement. It really depends on the rest of your system.

The Finisar FMCs that I use cost me like $25 each on eBay. I don’t remember which model, but it could have been the FTLF1318P3BTL. Plenty of those on eBay at affordable prices. Maybe give them a try with those FMCs you got.

May 6, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #2,413 of 2,437
There is a discussion going on over on the 'roon optimization guide for increased sound quality thread'. Some are using FMCs to insert fibre into their chain to remove noise. Some report that doing so makes the sound more clean and sterile. My question below may be better posted here so I include below. Cheers.

So no matter where the FMCs are in the chain the sound is more clean and sterile? In my system I can put them between router and audio grade switch or switch and Antipodes CX (server) or between the CX and the Antipodes EX (player). I'm hoping different positions will render different results because for me clean and sterile would be disappointing.
I am one of those who have tried many different FMC and many different SFP (including Finisar) and all so far have made the sound of my system worse. Worse as in slight exaggeration of percussion notes, plucked notes etc. All the well known culprits that eventually lead to a fatiguing sound. I did not find any combination of fiber that did not adversely affect the sound of my system. I admit though that I have not tried the @kennyb123 combination. In the end I have ditched any thoughts of fibre and have returned to just using a PhoenixNET switch just before my Antipodes.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #2,414 of 2,437
FMC sounds like the ferrets of mscaler, i refuse that rabbit hole

May 6, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #2,415 of 2,437
FMC sounds like the ferrets of mscaler, i refuse that rabbit hole
The last hop before my Antipodes is fibre. Not following the herd….I did it because I didn’t like the ethernet cable running along the baseboard. There was no change in the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back