CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Nov 23, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #241 of 2,400
Jussi updated my license to the new fingerprint. All is well. The 2,8 update certainly installs software faster and reboots in about 30-40 seconds.

Hi Prog, I am curious to know if the handshake issue with HQP and the Chord TT2 has been resolved with the new 2.8 OS. Can you please try shutting down and restarting the TT2 from standby while the EX is running? At the moment I am mitigating this by restarting my EX at every listening session, and making sure I start TT2 first before EX.

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #242 of 2,400
Hi Prog, I am curious to know if the handshake issue with HQP and the Chord TT2 has been resolved with the new 2.8 OS. Can you please try shutting down and restarting the TT2 from standby while the EX is running? At the moment I am mitigating this by restarting my EX at every listening session, and making sure I start TT2 first before EX.
Argh! The issue is still there. I am following the same startup procedure as you. Interesting though.. if I use the SRC-DX to dual bnc input this problem never happens. It would appear to be Chord usb issue with hqplayer. I can’t remember having the issue with roon ready on the EX. I doubt Chord and Jussi will ever talk to fix it. I don’t feel there is any love there.

Ver 2.8 has upgraded to hqplayer 4.20 already. I just contacted Antipodes expressing my desire to upgrade hqplayer and they sent me the instructions.

Nov 23, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #243 of 2,400
Once in a while I’ll have to shut down roon after getting a hiss. This is rare and random. Once in a blue moon I’ll turn on and off TT. But I leave my DX tt and gsx mk2 on 24/7

Nov 23, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #244 of 2,400
Hello All,
Still testing the K50 the last 3 weeks (running 24/7) and the K30 is still burning in only 5 days so far, so early days for the K30.
The K50 is on HQP 4.18 it self updates as I am aware.
So much to tell and will program the pick up of the SGM soon for the final shoot out.
Teaser the SGM has stiff competition...!

Nov 26, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #245 of 2,400
Random, but do you think the Roon Nucleus is a decent choice given its price point?

Nov 26, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #246 of 2,400
Random, but do you think the Roon Nucleus is a decent choice given its price point?
I use a NUC7i3 for my core running roon rock (when not using the EX) for 1/3 the price. It is a bit faster than the EX. The nu cleus is just a nuc in a fanless case with roon support.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #248 of 2,400
Hi fellow antipodes owners...so I have a ex/cx combo for the headphone rig and do not plan to upgrade. I am just wanting to understand if I want to use the Nucleus by Roon for my speakers, can the Nucleus be used as a streamer and transport or is it only used as a core?

Basically I already use my Roon core from my Ex/Cx for my headphone rig, would it be redundant to get the nucleus for my speakers if my core is already being used on the Ex/Cx?

I’m hoping the Nucleus is not just able to be used as a core but a transport as well to replace my bluesound node which has been sold. I do not care for my speakers as much as my headphone rig hence the choice for the speaker transport being cheaper than my headphone transport.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #249 of 2,400
Hi fellow antipodes owners...so I have a ex/cx combo for the headphone rig and do not plan to upgrade. I am just wanting to understand if I want to use the Nucleus by Roon for my speakers, can the Nucleus be used as a streamer and transport or is it only used as a core?

Basically I already use my Roon core from my Ex/Cx for my headphone rig, would it be redundant to get the nucleus for my speakers if my core is already being used on the Ex/Cx?

I’m hoping the Nucleus is not just able to be used as a core but a transport as well to replace my bluesound node which has been sold. I do not care for my speakers as much as my headphone rig hence the choice for the speaker transport being cheaper than my headphone transport.

Thanks in advance.
The nucleus will still show as a core on your network but you can leave it unauthorized so that the CX will be the core. You can use the usb port and the hdmi as endpoints. On my nuc running roon rock I use the hdmi for 5.1 to my Anthem AVR but my core is on the EX.

Nov 30, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #250 of 2,400

Thanks in advance.
Your CX performs exactly the same function as the Roon Nucleus. If you want to connect to your main system, you just need a Roon endpoint, not another Core.

From your signature, it looks like you have a Lumin U1. You should be able to leave the CX as is, running as core, and run your Lumin U1 as another Zone connected to the same Roon core. I don't understand why you would need another Roon Core, unless you want to run two separate libraries.

If I've misunderstood and you don't have a Lumin U1, and you just need another Roon endpoint, you should get that. The BlueSound Node is fine; but there are various other options from Auralic, and others. I'm not familiar with your Anthem receiver but it's possible (if it's relatively recent) that it works as a Roon Endpoint on its own.

Dec 2, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #252 of 2,400
wow looked up SGM, a little out of my price range but happy for your hi end server fest

Dec 4, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #254 of 2,400
Hello, I am back again and sorry for the small delay. The K50 blow a fuse and thanks to the speedy help of Mark (Antipodes) I was able to replace the fuse with one from the K30 also on demo. I will review the difference between the CX EX, K30 and K50 later.

So, for the long-awaited shootout between the Taiko SGM and the Antipodes K50 but before I do just need to point out a few things.

I do not have trained ears, only been listening to HiFi for around 5 years but been to a few HiFi shows and listened to quite a few high-end systems mainly digital with a few analogue. I am overly sensitive to harsh treble and sibilance, digital glare, fatigue.

I always thought there would be one true sound we all aim for. I quickly found the one true sound to aim for was the one you enjoy the most, forget everyone else’s view. So, with the above caveats I will post up my impressions of these two mighty servers.

Size and weight

The Taiko will fit not fit any HiFi rack it is deep; a two person install. Carry this beast at your peril and at the maximum I could lift owing to size and weight. While the K50 will fit a normal rack and easily carried by one person. A win to the K50 but not a deal breaker.

Price specification options.

I will not bore you all the specification and cost are all available on the web.

Set Up

Chord Dave Mscaler, Bryston 7b3 mono amps, PMC MB2 se speakers.

System cables, Wave cables Duel BNC – Chord Sarum T XLR – Chord Sarum T Speaker cables.

Server cables USB Chord Music and Wave BNC.

K50 first impressions (new out the box) were not good, I almost return the unit. The dealership advised more burning in, so I did this and over a few weeks the sound improved. I warn you now it had off days and good days during this period. According to Mark at around six months is the best you can get.

Taiko first impressions (burnt in) where is the credit card (remember the K50 was dead owing to the blown fuse and had not listened for two weeks as the K30 was burning in).

Sound Quality

If you ever manage to listen to either one of these servers, you are privileged owing one at their cost is not for the faint hearted. If your happy where you are, I would strongly advise not to try one of these servers. You cannot unhear this level of sound quality. This is where Digital gets closer to Analogue.

K50 vs Taiko.

I would be happy with ether one of these but have my preferred and that was within a few hours.

The K50 vs Taiko on USB

I took me a few A – B and a few tracks to find the difference between them initially I thought they were equal; they are different BUT VERY CLOSE.

I will spare everyone the tracks and notes. I get to the point quick and simple.

The Taiko is crisp and precise whereas the K50 is more mellow more organic more analogue and a little more forgiving. Difficult to explain (for me). In poorly record tracks (HOT) I found the S in vocal to be a little exaggerated on the Taiko and more forgiving in the K50.

Bass Midrange ballpark similar ball park.

Remember I am splitting hairs between them.

K50 BNC S/PDIF vs Taiko USB

For me (I am overly sensitive to harsh treble and sibilance, digital glare, fatigue) I prefer this option on the K50. This personal preference and could listen to K50 for hours with the BNC output knowing with a few clicks can change the K50 to USB if the mood dictates. I was using a Wave BNC cable on the S/PDIF perhaps it was this. I did try a few cheap alternative BNC cables but quickly removed as no detail and woolly.

The Taiko I had on demo only had a USB output so same as the above, exceptionally good, but my personal preference was the K50.

Conclusion

Both servers get closer than any other digital source I have used. The timbre, soundstage, organic nature and most importantly toe tapping experience.

Everything just falls into place.

For me by a hair the K50 (personal preference).

The End.

Dec 4, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #255 of 2,400
Thx for this, I will avoid, and quite easily so, listening to k50. The burn in time is problematic yet like wine, gets better and better. look forward to further updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back