CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Oct 31, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #211 of 2,437
Whichever, but if you have a tt to throw in... But dave with and without m scaler would be interesting

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #212 of 2,437
The K50 and the K30 have arrived....!
Any suggestions how anyone wants a comparison server player combo, USB vs digital clocked version?
After 24 hrs playing burning better SQ..... more to follow.

Edit Chord Dave with or without Mscaler

Exciting times! I am interested in how the USB output sounds compares to your CX/EX. The reclocker is interesting but it kills the opportunity to upscale with HQP and export to a Chord DAC at 705 kHz. Its a pity they couldn’t put a dual BNC output on the reclocker.

Oct 31, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #213 of 2,437
Usb for me

Oct 31, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #214 of 2,437
K50-K30 v SGM Extreme :thumbsup:

Nov 1, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #215 of 2,437
Just emailed the SGM Extreme supplier for a demo, so need to get sorted before the UK lockdown.
Fingers crossed.
@Kapiti I notice the K50 self updated am I correct ? Is there anyway I could load Minimserver or version 2, any reason why it was not included? Thank you.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #216 of 2,437
Hope you manage to get a listen be interested to know how these compare.

Nov 1, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #217 of 2,437
Anyone having issues loading minimserver? minimserver.jpg

Nov 1, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #220 of 2,437
Nov 2, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #221 of 2,437
Is there any reason why you wish to use Minimserver rather than miniDLNA?

Thank you for enquiring. I did try dlna server with MPD as the player and was very underwhelmed.

On the CX EX combo, MinimServer suited my SQ taste, more rounded treble (not too harsh) and lower noise floor as I found Roon with Squeeze too bright.

Where as on the K50 I am fining I like the Roon with Squeeze (guess owing to even more lower noise floor) but as I experienced good results with MinimServer, I wanted to see if there are still further improvements to be made for my taste in SQ.

Comparing the CPU load using Roon on the K50 with the CX, the K50 has much lower CPU usage which may account for some of this improvement. It was around 0% (with the odd core tipping into 1% for a split second) vs 7%.

PS Thank you for suppling the standard black ethernet cable in the K50 box my first choice of ethernet cable !

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #222 of 2,437
If you remove the outer PVC jacket from the black Ethernet cable, it becomes very good. I will take some time to look at Minimserver again. Some DLNA implementations result in overly softened transient speed, robbing the music of its timing and urgency, but I hear your concerns about treble energy. I have found the K50 takes 2 months before it settles down. Up to that point it can have good days and bad days. Then the noise floor just gradually fades away over the next two months. That feeling you get with most digital, that there is something awful going on in the high treble, does disappear. But in my experience, it does not reach its peak performance till around the 6 month point. If burn in did not exist this whole gig would be so much easier.

Nov 3, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #223 of 2,437
If you remove the outer PVC jacket from the black Ethernet cable, it becomes very good. I will take some time to look at Minimserver again. Some DLNA implementations result in overly softened transient speed, robbing the music of its timing and urgency, but I hear your concerns about treble energy. I have found the K50 takes 2 months before it settles down. Up to that point it can have good days and bad days. Then the noise floor just gradually fades away over the next two months. That feeling you get with most digital, that there is something awful going on in the high treble, does disappear. But in my experience, it does not reach its peak performance till around the 6 month point. If burn in did not exist this whole gig would be so much easier.

Thank you for the information. I do agree there is a vast improvement in the first 48 hrs.
I will leave running and try from day to day , glad it runs very cool at 22 C.
I will ask the dealer for more time and revert back.

Nov 3, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #224 of 2,437
I just replaced a run of 35ft cat 6 between the router/switch and the EX roon server/hqplayer renderer with multimode fiber. All in $150.00 cad. It may be expectation bias but it has added micro detail and darkened the background. Well worth it imho and a nice isolation (covid and electrical) project.

Nov 9, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #225 of 2,437
Hey all.
Question 1: I am looking at replacing my (normal Win10 PC connected via normal home networking) Roon Server with either a CX, or a Nucleus+ (which I will locate on the stereo rack). Given that I am running through an EtherRegen into the EX, I am hoping the that sound quality differences between the two would be smallish or nominal. If you have experience with that kind of difference I'm happy to hear it.

Question 2: Given that a used Nucleus+ is roughly half of a used CX, what are the functional differences between the two? i.e. I know you can run HQPlayer and such on a CX. You can't do that on a Nucleus+ right? And of course you can run lots of rendering apps on the CX but I wouldn't as the EX is here already.

Question 3: I have the perception that administering / updating the Nucleus+ is simpler / better integrated. Any downsides or upsides I should know about using the CX as a server?

..Just trying to figure out if I save the money and reduce complexity with the N+ vs CX without giving up anything I care about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back