CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Nov 9, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #226 of 2,400
Hey all.
Question 1: I am looking at replacing my (normal Win10 PC connected via normal home networking) Roon Server with either a CX, or a Nucleus+ (which I will locate on the stereo rack). Given that I am running through an EtherRegen into the EX, I am hoping the that sound quality differences between the two would be smallish or nominal. If you have experience with that kind of difference I'm happy to hear it.

Question 2: Given that a used Nucleus+ is roughly half of a used CX, what are the functional differences between the two? i.e. I know you can run HQPlayer and such on a CX. You can't do that on a Nucleus+ right? And of course you can run lots of rendering apps on the CX but I wouldn't as the EX is here already.

Question 3: I have the perception that administering / updating the Nucleus+ is simpler / better integrated. Any downsides or upsides I should know about using the CX as a server?

..Just trying to figure out if I save the money and reduce complexity with the N+ vs CX without giving up anything I care about.

Sorry for the blunt answer as this is a no brainer.

I would go with the CX EX combo, no need for network gear sell it use the standard ethernet cable with the EX or CX if you can get hold of one.

You may get a second hand CX for a good price which will make the upgrade a bargain in terms of SQ as the newer Antipodes come online.

You cannot compare the SQ upgrade when you add CX to your EX or vice versa with a Nucleus.

I would strongly recommend the Combo as an upgrade for the above reasons.

Nov 9, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #227 of 2,400
The K50 has been running now for 10 days and not yet burnt in, the SQ does come and go but on the good days managing to listen to various combinations.
I am now trying the Chord Mscaler vs HQ Player and wondered what settings you all wanted me to try ?

@Kapiti I have enabled HQplayer in Roon, I have set up as a network player (not ASLA) in HQP but have two options Antipodes: Dave USB Audio or Antipodes USB Audio 2 : USB Audio. Which is the better option ?
Just wondered what the differences are and was I correct to set up the K50 as a network player in HQP? HQP is set up on the server and NNA selected on the player.
Also at what time frame would you consider comparing with the Taiko SGM as I wish to make sure the K50 is fully burnt in to give a fair comparison?
So far I have found Chord Dave Mscaler via BNC to have the better sound (for me) (as there is no AES input to the Chord Mscaler) via Roon Squeeze do you wish me to try any other alternatives ?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #228 of 2,400
Hey all.
Question 1: I am looking at replacing my (normal Win10 PC connected via normal home networking) Roon Server with either a CX, or a Nucleus+ (which I will locate on the stereo rack). Given that I am running through an EtherRegen into the EX, I am hoping the that sound quality differences between the two would be smallish or nominal. If you have experience with that kind of difference I'm happy to hear it.

Question 2: Given that a used Nucleus+ is roughly half of a used CX, what are the functional differences between the two? i.e. I know you can run HQPlayer and such on a CX. You can't do that on a Nucleus+ right? And of course you can run lots of rendering apps on the CX but I wouldn't as the EX is here already.

Question 3: I have the perception that administering / updating the Nucleus+ is simpler / better integrated. Any downsides or upsides I should know about using the CX as a server?

..Just trying to figure out if I save the money and reduce complexity with the N+ vs CX without giving up anything I care about.

I can’t answer your main question, but am curious to know how much of a difference the Ether Regen makes on your EX? I am holding off buying something like this because it is a hefty fraction of what a CX costs, and the CX would make it redundant.

Have you tried running your Roon core on your EX (in addition to rendering apps). This is what I do and it works great.

As far as I understand it you need to connect the CX directly to the EX to get the maximum benefit of the CX. I am planning to get a CX some time next year. The introduction of the new range means that these are appearing on the used market at a reasonable price now.

Nov 9, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #229 of 2,400
The K50 has been running now for 10 days and not yet burnt in, the SQ does come and go but on the good days managing to listen to various combinations.
I am now trying the Chord Mscaler vs HQ Player and wondered what settings you all wanted me to try ?

@Kapiti I have enabled HQplayer in Roon, I have set up as a network player (not ASLA) in HQP but have two options Antipodes: Dave USB Audio or Antipodes USB Audio 2 : USB Audio. Which is the better option ?
Just wondered what the differences are and was I correct to set up the K50 as a network player in HQP? HQP is set up on the server and NNA selected on the player.
Also at what time frame would you consider comparing with the Taiko SGM as I wish to make sure the K50 is fully burnt in to give a fair comparison?
So far I have found Chord Dave Mscaler via BNC to have the better sound (for me) (as there is no AES input to the Chord Mscaler) via Roon Squeeze do you wish me to try any other alternatives ?
Thank you.

For HQP I use Sinc-L 16x PCM upscaling (44.1 to 705.6kHz) with the LNS15 noise shaper. This gives 2M tap upscaling, but a delay of 6 seconds when you first start to play a track. Sinc-M also sounds very good. It has 1M upscaling and a shorter start-up time (about 3 seconds).

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #230 of 2,400
Hey guys... I enquired about when the upgrade to hqplayer 4.19.1 would be available. Tony offered me a path which required a massive update to software ver 2.8. The instructions were clear and the upgrade went without a hitch BUT! The fingerprint for hqplayer changed making my license obsolete. Tony is working with me and has sent the issue to software programmers. I requested a license upgrade from Jussi but he has not replied as of yet. I am using a desktop license on a remote nuc for the time being but I sure do miss my one box solution in the EX.

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #232 of 2,400
I can’t answer your main question, but am curious to know how much of a difference the Ether Regen makes on your EX? I am holding off buying something like this because it is a hefty fraction of what a CX costs, and the CX would make it redundant.

Have you tried running your Roon core on your EX (in addition to rendering apps). This is what I do and it works great.

As far as I understand it you need to connect the CX directly to the EX to get the maximum benefit of the CX. I am planning to get a CX some time next year. The introduction of the new range means that these are appearing on the used market at a reasonable price now.
I wish I could give you a solid answer right now. I have gear and cables (including a TT2!) coming in and out of the system, as well as changing acoustic treatments, plus am having trouble with a new outboard power supply I got which doesn't with the EtherRegen.

I will reply if I get a chance to do close enough listening.

Meanwhile, the CX vs Nucleus upgrade for me is actually as much about getting it off of a mixed-use server than about SQ. Of course SQ is important too, so I'm leaning toward the CX anyway as I'm seeing a couple on the market.

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #233 of 2,400
I wish I could give you a solid answer right now. I have gear and cables (including a TT2!) coming in and out of the system, as well as changing acoustic treatments, plus am having trouble with a new outboard power supply I got which doesn't with the EtherRegen.

I will reply if I get a chance to do close enough listening.

Meanwhile, the CX vs Nucleus upgrade for me is actually as much about getting it off of a mixed-use server than about SQ. Of course SQ is important too, so I'm leaning toward the CX anyway as I'm seeing a couple on the market.
Further* to this, the EtherRegen, if nothing else, is a network switch that I'm less afraid (compared to normal consumer equipment that I'd assume to be very electrically noisy) to put on the stereo rack.

Nov 10, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #234 of 2,400
Thanks for the heads-up. I will avoid any upgrade to 2.8 until this is resolved.
Jussi updated my license to the new fingerprint. All is well. The 2,8 update certainly installs software faster and reboots in about 30-40 seconds.

Nov 12, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #235 of 2,400
@Kapiti
Hi, I just found this thread, and have read through it all from the beginning. I am hoping you can give me some advice about which of your products would work best for me. I currently use a Naim Core as a ripper/server into an Mscaler/TT2, but want to add a streamer, so I can use Tidal (again),and possibly Roon. I have read up on the CX, EX, and DX models, but understand you now have the K and S models as upgrades. Would I be ok using my Naim Core still to rip/store and serve my music with one of your new models, or would I be better off selling it, and using Antipodes for everything? Also, I guess there is HQplayer to consider, but I think I want to keep my Mscaler, since I have just ordered a pair of Wave BNC’s for it. I do like the thought of one box doing everything, but maybe I don’t need all the functions of it, considering what I already have? Any other people‘s advice welcomed too,but i realize the new models are just being released, so maybe Clive is the only one who has heard them. Thanks.

Nov 12, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #236 of 2,400
The rippers in DX as I’m sure other modules k50... are quite special. Antipodes ripper top notch.

Nov 12, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #238 of 2,400
Well it’s not important if you don’t have a 1000 CD,s. The ripping process is interesting with a three layer analysis including fingerprint analysis For acoustic integrity, the proof is in the listening which goes to blue light preferred signal path. not an expert but

Nov 12, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #239 of 2,400
My CD’s are already ripped, and are on the SSD inside my Naim Core, I also have a western digital hard drive with the rest of my downloads on it, I have around 2200 albums total. The WD hardrive plugs into the Naim, and what is on it blends in with the SSD content when you browse with the Naim App. Basically what I need is the streamer function, but I understand there is more going on with Antipodes than just sending 1’s and 0’s.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back