CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Dec 13, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #271 of 2,400
@Triode User that would explain your difference, I also ditched Roon (life time member) for MinimServer on the CX EX combo.
I hope the K50 meets your expectations vs the Innuos Statement. I never tried the Statement owing to the dealer letting me down but I have listened at many shows and looking forward to your view on the difference between them.
May I send you some fuses to try if that is not too forward I would appreciate your view if they make any difference but I appreciate you may not wish to comment ?

Dec 13, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #272 of 2,400
Hey all,

I dip into viewing this thread every now and again to see what's going on in the Antipodes world 😁.

I will be sticking with my CX/EX Solution but will look to add the new tech hardware updates when available.

One thing that interests me and can't get my head around is using something other than Roon. I don't know what it is but something in my digital chain needs a tweak to open up the treble a touch more, to get close to my analogue set up. My digital side is s touch warmer.

So, could Roon be the culprit?

How do I add another management software/hub to the CX to try? Do I need to install anything on my EX too? I'm reading a few different ones here. What else do I need to know/do.....I might need an idiots guide 🤣🤣.

Oh, I also use HqPlayer so not sure if that makes a difference

Cheers All

Bill

Dec 13, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #274 of 2,400
As far as I understand it minimserver is really only a viable option for a local music collection?
99.9% of my listening is on Tidal now. I would not give up Roon for its excellent Tidal integration. In particular the ability to find new music that I genuinely like is priceless.

Dec 13, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #275 of 2,400
I have used Qobuz with MinimServer but the interface is not as good as Roon.
The following link gives help on the issue MinimServer Forum - MQA through TIDAL in MinimServer

I had the "Blue" fuses for a while but found them too bright and the "Orange" seemed to suck the midrange others thought this at first then loved the orange fuses but I am referring to UK plugs.

I now found the best cheapest upgrade which is to bypass the fuse see enclosed. I have power conditioner suppling my HiFi this acts a system fuse I see no point in having several fuses all of which IMHO degrade the sound. My system took a leap forward in SQ, I assume this is why so many people use Schuko Plugs in the UK.

Caveat I do not recommend removing fuses for safety reasons.

Attachments

• 20200622_084121.jpg
    20200622_084121.jpg
    785.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201123_112511.jpg
    20201123_112511.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #276 of 2,400
I use a PS Audio P5 power regenerator that I bought when we lived in USA. I sent it to PS audio to get the voltage changed to 230 V when we left USA, but left the US style sockets in place. This therefore removes the extra fuse in line for every power cord. Almost all equipment has a fuse at the input terminal so I don’t see the point in having an extra one at the plug. No other countries do this.

Dec 14, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #277 of 2,400
@Clive101 The demo K50 is due to arrive on Wednesday.

Re the fuses, yes please I'm up for trying some if you send. Message me if you don't have my address.

Dec 20, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #278 of 2,400
The K50 arrived on Wednesday last week. I admit it has taken a few days to get comfortable with the options available for the Server and Player set up but the last couple of days have been very fruitful.

So far I have only used :-
1. Roon on Server and Roon on Player,
2. Roon on Server and Squeeze on Player,
3. Squeeze on Server and Squeeze on Player.

Each has been tried with USB and spdif (bnc) and playing back local files stored on the Server hard drive (Samsung 4TB SSD).

It is very very interesting and I like what I hear.

I'm currently listening to Roon Server, Squeeze Player and spdif bnc output (to Mscaler and Dave) but will get round to trying all the options and will report back later next week.

Screenshot 2020-12-20 at 17.22.42.png
Screenshot 2020-12-20 at 17.22.14.png

Dec 20, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #279 of 2,400
Hi @Triode User thanks for posting your thoughts. Please give some consideration to trying HQPlayer as the renderer (using Sinc-M or sinc-L, LNS15 noise shaper and bypassing M scaler). It is pre-installed on the Antipodes and plays for 30 minutes without a license. It is integrated with Roon so you simply select HQ Player as the source in Roon. Even if you have tried it in the past, I think it is worth giving it another chance with Antipodes hardware. Since you are an M scaler owner it would be very interesting to hear your thoughts on this comparison. There are very few reviews from people who have compared the two with good quality hardware.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #280 of 2,400
Hi @andrewd01 I fully intend to try HQP but didn't want to charge around like a bull in a china shop. I wanted to get to grips with the basics first.

One thing I have just learned is that it is best to bypass the File Management feature in the MyAntipodes web based access and to instead just to access the K50 direct as if it was any other server connected to the network. That discovery made copying over ripped files to the K50 so much simpler.

Dec 20, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #281 of 2,400
Hi @andrewd01 I fully intend to try HQP but didn't want to charge around like a bull in a china shop. I wanted to get to grips with the basics first.

One thing I have just learned is that it is best to bypass the File Management feature in the MyAntipodes web based access and to instead just to access the K50 direct as if it was any other server connected to the network. That discovery made copying over ripped files to the K50 so much simpler.

Thanks, no rush. Your comments about the file management sound familiar, I think I went down the same path with my EX. I just copied the files in Mac Finder.

Dec 20, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #283 of 2,400
As I’ve settled on keeping my roon core on the EX, I am keeping with roon’s recommendation and streaming to my endpoint. To that end I picked up an Allo Usbridge Signature. I am feeding from the EX using HQPlayer. I have network 1 connected to the internet and network 2 as a direct feed through fiber to the usbridge. The bridge runs ropieeeXL with naa enabled. From the low noise usb it’s a Supra usb to the TT2. Imho there is a bit more detail in the upper range than usb direct. Probably expectation bias but it is not less for sure. It is also a smaller box on the listening station table. I have an iFi iPower X coming as a supply for the bridge. I’ll have lots of time over Christmas as we are locked away from the grandkids unfortunately.

Dec 21, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #284 of 2,400
Just found k50 online in Canada for sale. Yikes( I’ll be sticking with DX) but salivate anyways

Dec 21, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #285 of 2,400
The EX will be my Antipodes end game unless there is a reasonable hardware upgrade offered. The whole server game has gotten out of hand price wise. The new mac mini M1 silicon is looking like a good core as long as your player is remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back