CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Nov 20, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #2,131 of 2,395
Great that you two are able to meet up for listening. Any chance you might one day be able to compare your PhoenixNET to his AfterDark switch?

Well we sort of did compare in the sense that we had both in the system and we did switch in and out but they were not the main focus of the day which was to compare the K50 and Oladra, therefore I would say there is no firm conclusion on the switches. On the other hand Clive might equally say that he heard nothing to dissuade him from thinking that his AfterDark switch is better! What was interesting was that with the Oladra and AfterDark switch Clive felt that Qobuz streamed music was better than the same files locally stored on SSD in the Oladra. I could hear the difference but I was less sure which was better and would want more extended listening.

Things got a bit messy as we were swopping in and out but this is a quick snap shot I took on the day annotated to show what was what.

Oladra annotated.jpg

Nov 20, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #2,132 of 2,395
@kennyb123
I found the AfterDark S100 to have tighter bass, better texture, better attack and a cleaner sound than the PhoenixNET
I found the bass more boomy with the PhoenixNet.
Streaming (for me) was better than SSD with the AfterDark switch, whereas SSD was better than streaming with the PhoenixNet.
For me streaming and SSD was improved more with the AfterDark both on both our systems and I much preferred the AfterDark than PhoenixNet.
In my own system (Finisar fiber modules) and with different amps, speakers and room size I much prefer fiber connection as I found ethernet muddy by "comparison" on my own system, but some may prefer ethernet.

I will ask Nick @Triode User he wishes to have a few weeks with the AfterDark in the new year for a more detailed listen.....

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #2,133 of 2,395
AMSV4.1 is out as an FYI

Nov 20, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #2,134 of 2,395
@kennyb123
I found the AfterDark S100 to have tighter bass, better texture, better attack and a cleaner sound than the PhoenixNET
I found the bass more boomy with the PhoenixNet.
Streaming (for me) was better than SSD with the AfterDark switch, whereas SSD was better than streaming with the PhoenixNet.
For me streaming and SSD was improved more with the AfterDark both on both our systems and I much preferred the AfterDark than PhoenixNet.
In my own system (Finisar fiber modules) and with different amps, speakers and room size I much prefer fiber connection as I found ethernet muddy by "comparison" on my own system, but some may prefer ethernet.

I will ask Nick @Triode User he wishes to have a few weeks with the AfterDark in the new year for a more detailed listen.....
Your systems appear to both be finely tuned for your own preferences. I can see preferring one switch in one and another switch in another. It would be an interesting comparison nonetheless. Thanks for sharing your observations.

I have fiber now so the AfterDark switch might be a better fit. Would you post a link to this switch again? I can't seem to find it on their site. Nick's post refers to a Dela S100. So is this it? https://www.adark.co/products/dela-s100-audiophile-network-hubs?_pos=1&_sid=8841754d5&_ss=r. If so, it seems they recommend connecting audio gear to the 100mbs. Is that what you do?

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #2,135 of 2,395
Things got a bit messy as we were swopping in and out but this is a quick snap shot I took on the day annotated to show what was what.
Thanks for sharing the photo. That Oladra sure does look nice. I hope you will find a proper stand to set yours on. Just not right to place such a beautiful component on the floor.

In all seriousness, experiment with placing some bamboo cutting boards under your components. Affordable and effective.

If you like what you hear then maybe consider a Quadraspire rack with bamboo shelves. I think you'd be surprised with the additional clarity this will bring.

Nov 20, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #2,136 of 2,395
Those ARC6’s are monsters!

Thanks for reporting from the cutting edge. Good news for the guys one or two generations of technology back. Looks like two barely run in K50’s on the used market :)

Nov 21, 2022 at 5:10 AM Post #2,137 of 2,395
Oladra mmmmmm. From my cold dead hands tho. )
B51A9CE0-8A4D-476B-B728-3511A9F7FE87.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #2,138 of 2,395
Those ARC6’s are monsters!

Thanks for reporting from the cutting edge. Good news for the guys one or two generations of technology back. Looks like two barely run in K50’s on the used market :)
How much are the barely used run in K50s and where? I see two on Audiogon, are those the ones you are referring to?

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #2,139 of 2,395
How much are the barely used run in K50s and where? I see two on Audiogon, are those the ones you are referring to?
I am in UK (need to update my profile). The dealer I use is Elite Audio. I bought my CX and EX there when they were less than two years old for about half retail price with warranty. There is currently one K50 rev2 (Clive’s?) there for £11500, full retail price £17500. Recently saw K50 rev1 for £7500 and K30 around £5k, but those have sold.

I am not in the position to upgrade now, but good to know there is a regular turnover in the used market. Antipodes is helping us out by releasing new statement products every two years:)

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #2,140 of 2,395
Has anyone had any issues with HQ Player/Roon on 4.1? I am getting ‘playback failed because Roon couldn’t connect to HQ Player’ error.

I can’t find any obvious reason for this in the settings. License valid, output device correct etc.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #2,141 of 2,395
Has anyone had any issues with HQ Player/Roon on 4.1? I am getting ‘playback failed because Roon couldn’t connect to HQ Player’ error.

I can’t find any obvious reason for this in the settings. License valid, output device correct etc.
Go into the server dashboard and restart hqplayer. Then go to player dashboard and restart the hqplayer naa. That worked for me.

Nov 24, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #2,142 of 2,395
Go into the server dashboard and restart hqplayer. Then go to player dashboard and restart the hqplayer naa. That worked for me.
Sometimes you have to just save the configuration again so it can properly recognize the NAA.

Dec 3, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #2,143 of 2,395
So tantalizingly close but so far. The Oladra now has to go up to the dealer in Scotland before coming back down to me in the East Midlands.

8EF261CE-FB58-4AD0-853A-5A199C24B1CA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back