CVJ IEMs thread
Jul 11, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #77 of 108
On the way: CVJ CSK 1DD + 1BA hybrid. Impressions as soon as possible.

Jul 15, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #78 of 108
Just received the CVJ CSK today and these are my first impressions. My source is neutron on iPad via Bluetooth to the Q5K. Very light weight construction, probably the lightest I’ve encountered. I don’t think that’s a bad thing, as the metal faceplates such as on the CCA CA2 adds a lot of weight and can affect fit. The CSK is extremely light and comfortable. I’m easy on my phones so the added weight on some is overkill in my opinion. As far as sound, these have to have the most polite treble a 30095 ba equipped IEM has, of which I have a half dozen or more, and that’s a good thing, no shoutyness, no treble ice pick to the forehead, but with some upper treble air. These are much bassier than the CVJ CS8, the only other CVJ I have, but based on reports, I’m guessing these are one of the bassiest in the CVJ inventory, but I like it. CVJ is known to be generally more neutral to bright, but the CSK is likely the more harmonish v-shaped of the bunch. Not too V though, as the vocals are coming through nice and clean. Nice note weight compared to the CS8. Nice texture to the bass, it reportedly has an 8mm dynamic, which may seem small but maybe it’ll be quicker. First impressions are good. The Kbear KS2 is hotter in the treble which can get fatiguing. The CSK might be good for more lengthy listening sessions. Some might be disappointed that CVJ may have strayed from their neutral/bright recipe, but I have a feeling I’ll be listening to these much more than the CS8. Nice broad airy soundstage and instrument separation. Cassandra Wilson is sounding good right now. Amazing what sound quality is available for so little coin these days. Good stuff 😎👍
801D4BCD-7660-4C38-A699-7D6CA8706147.jpeg

Jul 19, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #79 of 108
Just received the CVJ CSK today and these are my first impressions. My source is neutron on iPad via Bluetooth to the Q5K. Very light weight construction, probably the lightest I’ve encountered. I don’t think that’s a bad thing, as the metal faceplates such as on the CCA CA2 adds a lot of weight and can affect fit. The CSK is extremely light and comfortable. I’m easy on my phones so the added weight on some is overkill in my opinion. As far as sound, these have to have the most polite treble a 30095 ba equipped IEM has, of which I have a half dozen or more, and that’s a good thing, no shoutyness, no treble ice pick to the forehead, but with some upper treble air. These are much bassier than the CVJ CS8, the only other CVJ I have, but based on reports, I’m guessing these are one of the bassiest in the CVJ inventory, but I like it. CVJ is known to be generally more neutral to bright, but the CSK is likely the more harmonish v-shaped of the bunch. Not too V though, as the vocals are coming through nice and clean. Nice note weight compared to the CS8. Nice texture to the bass, it reportedly has an 8mm dynamic, which may seem small but maybe it’ll be quicker. First impressions are good. The Kbear KS2 is hotter in the treble which can get fatiguing. The CSK might be good for more lengthy listening sessions. Some might be disappointed that CVJ may have strayed from their neutral/bright recipe, but I have a feeling I’ll be listening to these much more than the CS8. Nice broad airy soundstage and instrument separation. Cassandra Wilson is sounding good right now. Amazing what sound quality is available for so little coin these days. Good stuff 😎👍801D4BCD-7660-4C38-A699-7D6CA8706147.jpeg
Mine are on the way, sounds like they are similar to the CSE which was a bit more V shaped than their previous offerings.

Jul 19, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #80 of 108
Mine are on the way, sounds like they are similar to the CSE which was a bit more V shaped than their previous offerings.
Put some ePro horn-shape tips on them and they are bass bombs. Cannot believe how polite the treble is for a 30095 in the nozzle. It is working because there’s the crisp air of a ba still. What’s most unique is the soundstage, it’s almost earbud type compared to the Kbear KS2 which is more 2 dimensional, giving a lot of space around instruments with the CSK, unique for a budget iem. I notice the 8mm dynamic is angled towards the sound tube compared to the 10mm dynamic of the KS2 which is positioned more parallel to the shell, perhaps creating more standing waves in the KS2. I think the treble might be too polite for some but I like to crank the volume (too frequently I’m afraid) and this allows me too turn it up the CSK without pain, providing a club-like atmosphere, this 8mm dynamic really pounds out the percussion. I have a lot of more expensive options but keep popping these in my ears, honeymoon not over yet.

Jul 19, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #81 of 108
Put some ePro horn-shape tips on them and they are bass bombs. Cannot believe how polite the treble is for a 30095 in the nozzle. It is working because there’s the crisp air of a ba still. What’s most unique is the soundstage, it’s almost earbud type compared to the Kbear KS2 which is more 2 dimensional, giving a lot of space around instruments with the CSK, unique for a budget iem. I notice the 8mm dynamic is angled towards the sound tube compared to the 10mm dynamic of the KS2 which is positioned more parallel to the shell, perhaps creating more standing waves in the KS2. I think the treble might be too polite for some but I like to crank the volume (too frequently I’m afraid) and this allows me too turn it up the CSK without pain, providing a club-like atmosphere, this 8mm dynamic really pounds out the percussion. I have a lot of more expensive options but keep popping these in my ears, honeymoon not over yet.
I think it maybe the same bass driver as in the TRN M10 which is also 8mm and very powerful. I think there is a connection between TRN and CVJ, the cables and tips are identical.

Jul 21, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #82 of 108
CSK just arrived. A quick test on my smartphone, which is admittedly very bassy, revealed an extremely deep bass, bassheads should like this one. Mids are somewhat recessed but detail in treble is very good. Burning in to come and more testing on my Xduoo X20.

Attachments

• IMG_20210721_160357.jpg
    IMG_20210721_160357.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Jul 22, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #83 of 108
Just received the CVJ CSK today and these are my first impressions. My source is neutron on iPad via Bluetooth to the Q5K. Very light weight construction, probably the lightest I’ve encountered. I don’t think that’s a bad thing, as the metal faceplates such as on the CCA CA2 adds a lot of weight and can affect fit. The CSK is extremely light and comfortable. I’m easy on my phones so the added weight on some is overkill in my opinion. As far as sound, these have to have the most polite treble a 30095 ba equipped IEM has, of which I have a half dozen or more, and that’s a good thing, no shoutyness, no treble ice pick to the forehead, but with some upper treble air. These are much bassier than the CVJ CS8, the only other CVJ I have, but based on reports, I’m guessing these are one of the bassiest in the CVJ inventory, but I like it. CVJ is known to be generally more neutral to bright, but the CSK is likely the more harmonish v-shaped of the bunch. Not too V though, as the vocals are coming through nice and clean. Nice note weight compared to the CS8. Nice texture to the bass, it reportedly has an 8mm dynamic, which may seem small but maybe it’ll be quicker. First impressions are good. The Kbear KS2 is hotter in the treble which can get fatiguing. The CSK might be good for more lengthy listening sessions. Some might be disappointed that CVJ may have strayed from their neutral/bright recipe, but I have a feeling I’ll be listening to these much more than the CS8. Nice broad airy soundstage and instrument separation. Cassandra Wilson is sounding good right now. Amazing what sound quality is available for so little coin these days. Good stuff 😎👍801D4BCD-7660-4C38-A699-7D6CA8706147.jpeg
I am finding the CSK very enjoyable. The soundstage is exceptionally good and after about 18 hours burn in the mids are beginning to show a bit more. Bass is superb, very deep and well textured and wonderful reproduction of recorded ambience. Treble is fairly polite and as you say unlike the traditional tuning of a 30095 and it is quite delicate in tonality. More to come.

Jul 22, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #84 of 108
I don't know if you have seen the two reviews here on Head Fi for the CSK. Mine sounds nothing like that, and from what you say, neither does yours. Could this be unit variation?

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #85 of 108
No I did not see them, certainly different impressions than ours. Could be variations in production. But the organic transducer between our ears is so susceptible to suggestion and expectation bias, who can say for sure. I do know that the CSK really struck me as different from the norm, a it took me awhile to assimilate my own impressions. I also just received the TRN ST2 and it has the more typical chi-fi hybrid signature with emphasized treble. The CSK reminds me of when after listening to bookshelf monitors without sub, then add a sub, the soundstage deepens with the added octaves. Again, I can’t get over how polite the 30095 is in the CKS. Anyway, I try to take time to digest what I’m hearing as my own opinion changes like the wind, but over time things average out and the real character shows its stripes. If there’s a nagging flaw, there’s no hiding it. But if the phones help me forget about them and just enjoy the music, bingo, they’re good to go. And so far that’s what the CSKs are doing for me. What surprised me the most was the negative comments on soundstage, as that’s what I think they excel in. Oh well, good thing there’s lots of options to try at minimal expense compared to 20 years, even 10 years ago.

Jul 24, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #86 of 108
These CSK's are insane!! Bargain of the year? I swapped the cable for a Senlee hybrid 8 core through my Xduoo X20. After 50 hours burn in these two tracks blew me away:

Jul 24, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #87 of 108
These CSK's are insane!! Bargain of the year? I swapped the cable for a Senlee hybrid 8 core through my Xduoo X20. After 50 hours burn in these two tracks blew me away:

How would they compete with similar budget hybrids like ZSN, CSN and others? Because at that price point, there are hardly any outliers. Or are they good as an entry point to decent audio?

Jul 24, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #88 of 108
Well i
How would they compete with similar budget hybrids like ZSN, CSN and others? Because at that price point, there are hardly any outliers. Or are they good as an entry point to decent audio?
Well, it is early days, I have 60 hours burn in on them but I think they compete with the CCA CSN, and improve on the TRN M10 and CVJ's own CSA and CSE. They are way better than the ZSN Pro IMO. They have a big expansive sound with a nicely controlled treble. I have not detected any of the failings mentioned in the two existing reviews on Head Fi, and now after burning in the bass has moderated. I have just tried Spiral Dots on them and the top end is more airy and smooth. There doesn't seem to be any metallic BA timbre either. YMMV of course but these are amazing with large scale classical works, film scores and electronic music.

Jul 27, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #89 of 108
Sep 26, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #90 of 108
Not a lot more about CVJ IEMs on the forums than that posted above already. Anyone know if there are reviews being planned for the CVJ Angel Wings?

They do look pretty and that official graph is interesting.

Attachments

• H4b6588a86a824390bcc0e08acda97b39I.jpg
    H4b6588a86a824390bcc0e08acda97b39I.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Ha1ffce7c40c94022b11a24fb301d6e5fd.jpg
    Ha1ffce7c40c94022b11a24fb301d6e5fd.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back