Customs on customs!
May 29, 2012 at 10:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tomllm

Head-Fier
I have made the decision to take the plunge on a pair of customs now that my sister has just about stolen my pair of Westone 3s, although it's going to take a while to gather the funds for the whole process.  From what I have read, I believe the Heir Audio 8.A fits what I'm looking for the best (so I'm rather upset that the amazing sale for the Wizard's birthday is now, and why could he not have been born a few months later! :/) If anyone has experience of the Westone 3 and can compare it to a CIEM of any kind please feel free to comment. 

However, there are plenty of horror stories about refitting in the forums.  What really concerns me isn't the time taken to get a properly fitting pair - it's whether you end up paying customs every time they're re delivered.  I live in the UK, so customs is 20% or more I would imagine.  If this is the case, then ACS would definitely be the way to go as they're a UK company.

So my question for those poor souls stuck in refit limbo - have you had to pay customs more than once on your CIEMs?

Many thanks

May 29, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
I have made the decision to take the plunge on a pair of customs now that my sister has just about stolen my pair of Westone 3s, although it's going to take a while to gather the funds for the whole process.  From what I have read, I believe the Heir Audio 8.A fits what I'm looking for the best (so I'm rather upset that the amazing sale for the Wizard's birthday is now, and why could he not have been born a few months later! :/) If anyone has experience of the Westone 3 and can compare it to a CIEM of any kind please feel free to comment. 

However, there are plenty of horror stories about refitting in the forums.  What really concerns me isn't the time taken to get a properly fitting pair - it's whether you end up paying customs every time they're re delivered.  I live in the UK, so customs is 20% or more I would imagine.  If this is the case, then ACS would definitely be the way to go as they're a UK company.

So my question for those poor souls stuck in refit limbo - have you had to pay customs more than once on your CIEMs?

Many thanks

Can't say for the UK, but there are no custom charges in China or the U.S. for an item shipped "warranty repair". Get the best set of ear impressions you can, using a bite block and a very relaxed jaw from a skilled audiologist who has experience making earmolds for musicians.

Going local is a good idea, but Heir Audio is a good company so I wouldn't be scared off if one of their customs fits what you want to hear.

May 29, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the reply.  It seems not all audiologists use bite blocks, and there's some improvisation used by headfiers instead.  I can understand needing a big block if I were a singer and opening and closing my mouth a lot, however this is purely for personal listening.  I don't clench my jaw normally, nor does my mouth hang open.

Is the difference between having your jaw open and closed what creates a good seal for the IEM within the ear canal?  A 2 inch block seems enormous to me (my mouth barely opens that wide...)  

May 29, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 6
Use a bite block if you want a good seal. 1" is standard.

If you want to be able to smile while you listen to music, use a bite block.

Go with an audiologist who works with musicians and you'll be good.

May 29, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.  It seems not all audiologists use bite blocks, and there's some improvisation used by headfiers instead.  I can understand needing a big block if I were a singer and opening and closing my mouth a lot, however this is purely for personal listening.  I don't clench my jaw normally, nor does my mouth hang open.

Is the difference between having your jaw open and closed what creates a good seal for the IEM within the ear canal?  A 2 inch block seems enormous to me (my mouth barely opens that wide...)  

I believe one of the reasons a bite blocks is important is because as you clamp onto it, the bottom and top are both even allowing for an even.  However, if you improvise with an object such as your fingers, it won't necessarily have that even-ness to it. I am no audiologist but that seems to be something that would cause an issue.  I have heard stories though of people using closed impressions.  The founder of Spiral Ear actually recommends it, and according to Joe it led to a better fit.

May 30, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 6
A fairly recent reviewer of the 8.A on another site said his fit wasn't as comfortable as his JH13, having bitten on a smaller block for the JH13. He didn't say it was uncomfortable, and it still fitted, but it didn't disappear like the JH13 - that was the sort of fit I was expecting of a custom.  

The spiral ear one is interesting though, but by the looks of things the silicon shell tubes are themselves larger (and the flagship Spiral Ear is *enormous*!  I'm pretty certain my narrowish canals wouldn't be able to manage them in the first place.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back