Customer at my Best Buy spent 30 grand on HDTV's..
Jul 12, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #16 of 33
When I was working as a CAD jockey (CAD draftsman) for a ~400 employee company the MIS guy had some pretty hefty annual budgets to fill with PC systems. He did all his shopping at brick/mortar retailers. That was in 1995 and internet bulk sales weren't the thing it is today. 2-3 grand in sales taxes was not uncommon for him.

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #17 of 33
During the 1st week I worked at my 2nd Best Buy location, Frank Thomas while he was still a white sox came by and dropped about $27,000 on 4 plasma TV's for a new home he was getting. In addition he left about $2500 in cash in an envelope in our department. A co-worker and I gave it to our manager, and we notified Frank asap, to which he replied, "eh, I'm on my way to the park, I'll send someone for it later this week."

Jul 12, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could buy lots of cheese with that.

Melt it all and imagine how many pretzels you could dip in it. We're talking a bathtub (maybe even a swimming pool) filled with cheese and pretzels galore!

Jul 12, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Melt it all and imagine how many pretzels you could dip in it. We're talking a bathtub (maybe even a swimming pool) filled with cheese and pretzels galore!

Does Camp Churro care to comment?

Jul 12, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Commission would be AWESOME for whoever made that sale.

I have been told twice by sales reps that they don't work on commission... even though I never asked if they did.

Jul 12, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Half a downpayment on the B&W "seacreature" Nautilus.

uh...actually it needs 4 mono blocks of at least 300W each to safely drive the beast, so your 'actual' $ requirement is not $60 k but more like $120K. Do they even sound that good? I was sorely disappointed with some 801Ds when I auditioned them (maybe my expectation was too high). I will give them another try someday.

Jul 12, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #25 of 33
I have 10 lcd/plasma's in my bar all over 40 inchs in screen size some are in the 50's..
First day we got 6 in one shopping trip to Costco, not sure how much it costs but it was not my money..

the business paid..
i mean I could of made it my money but then I could be in Wisconsin in a federal Jail also..
Tv's are nothing though, when a clubs/bars buy the lighting is something big.
I have designed a few high end places before, nothing like delivering $80.000 in cash to the seller of the gear. have any idea what $80,000 in cash smells like?
again I could of made it my money but instead of being in a jail cell in Wisconsin I would be at the bottom of Bachelors grove pond..

the mistake I made over the years is turning down the "load out" of the clubs when they close. here how many places work..two people get a bunch of silent partners involved to front the business money. the partners spend some on the gear or remodel on the building and pocket the rest. business does good for a year or so then the silent partners want their interest back on the money loaned. partners call me back up to "load out" or take down all the lighting and hold on to it cause they are abandoning the place and want to pocket the money off the sale of the gear later on. I turned down 3 places like this cause I am not getting involved in this..I seen what silent partners do when they get screwed...and its not like the movies where someone breaks the dudes legs..

no silent partners involved in my place..just the local bank with a hell of a loan...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the type of guy, I want to invite over for drinks.

he can probably invite you over first..

Jul 12, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If a person was spending $30K, why would he go to a Brick and Mortar instead of a wholesaler? Doesn't make sense. That's $2400 in sales tax alone.

Maybe it was somebodyy else's credit card? (maybe he'll get 60% on Ebay.... not bad for one wallet snatch.)

Jul 12, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #27 of 33
As an Office Depot employee, I hope you guys took every precaution when making that sale. With that amount of money, I would have been asking for 10 forms of ID, examined the signatures with a laser, and personally called the credit card company to make sure it wasn't fraudulent. I'm sorry, but you REALLY have to wonder about sales like that. When people come in and buy 3 computers from us, it's almost always bad. Either they're legit and don't buy any attachments with it at all and it kills our market basket or they buy loads of attachments, sell the ****, and we later find out that the card was fake and we're now short a few thousand dollars. We've had state cops come in and out checking up on stuff because of the recent rash of fraudulent credit cards.

But yeah, you guys must carry a lot of stuff if you have 10 HDTV's in stock of the same type! We carry only about 4 or less of each.

Jul 12, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #28 of 33
Did he pay in cash ?
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uh...actually it needs 4 mono blocks of at least 300W each to safely drive the beast, so your 'actual' $ requirement is not $60 k but more like $120K. Do they even sound that good? I was sorely disappointed with some 801Ds when I auditioned them (maybe my expectation was too high). I will give them another try someday.

With ICE module amps 4 monos rated at 500-1000 watts into 4 ohms wouldn't be that expensive.

Jul 12, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #30 of 33
I went with a friend who was on the student government of the local community college to buy some TV's and various electronics for the new lounge they were building. It's just stupid how much money they had left at the end of the school year from SGA fees that pretty much had to be spent. We got one 46" plasma for the main lounge, back then that was $8000, a decent Polk surround speaker package and Harmon Kardon receiver, about $5000, and a bunch of smaller TV's to replenish the A/V department's
stock. Total was around $18000. They also dropped another bunch of money on theater style seating. Oh yeah and with the leftover cash I talked them into buying the music department a new Steinway D
blink.gif
All you out there paying SGA fees rejoice, your money goes to things you'll probably never use. That student lounge with the plasma TV went under tight security only to be used during school hours with proper approval by the upper levels of the SGA. I watched about half a movie in there once inbetween classes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back