CustomArt FIBAE Impressions Thread
Jun 3, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #1,111 of 2,468
Has anyone been able to compare Etymotic ER3XR/ER4XR with any of the Custom Art CIEMs? I really love how the Etymotic's sound but they are so damn uncomfortable. (I got me some custom tips for them but they are too shallow, makes them sibilant. Also get some bad occlusion effect with them.)

Like Piotrus wrote FIBAE 1 will very close to ER3/4XR, but have less bass. FIBAE3 if you use change cable which have transparent with sparky treble and intimate and forward middle and give him a lot of power minimum 200 mW will very closer to Er4SR/XR.

Jun 4, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #1,112 of 2,468
Like Piotrus wrote FIBAE 1 will very close to ER3/4XR, but have less bass. FIBAE3 if you use change cable which have transparent with sparky treble and intimate and forward middle and give him a lot of power minimum 200 mW will very closer to Er4SR/XR.

FIBAE3 sounds quite interesting. Do they respond well to EQ-ing?

Jun 4, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #1,113 of 2,468
I'm looking to get my first pair of custom IEMs and am eyeing the FIBAE 1. However, I demoed the FIBAE line at e-earphone last week and was a little turned off by the lack of bass in the FIBAE 1. The bass in FIBAE 3 was too "bloated" and I thought that it made much of the vocals too dark. The FIBAE 2 was my favorite, but the midrange/vocals were not forward enough for my tastes. Now, I'm eyeing the Massdrop Edition but am worried about the bass being like FIBAE 3. Any recommendations?

Jun 4, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #1,114 of 2,468
I'm looking to get my first pair of custom IEMs and am eyeing the FIBAE 1. However, I demoed the FIBAE line at e-earphone last week and was a little turned off by the lack of bass in the FIBAE 1. The bass in FIBAE 3 was too "bloated" and I thought that it made much of the vocals too dark. The FIBAE 2 was my favorite, but the midrange/vocals were not forward enough for my tastes. Now, I'm eyeing the Massdrop Edition but am worried about the bass being like FIBAE 3. Any recommendations?
Have you tired Pro330? it might be one that seems like fitting your taste.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #1,116 of 2,468
FIBAE3 sounds quite interesting. Do they respond well to EQ-ing?

Yes, there are respond well to EQ-ing. And respond very well to change a cable.

In FIBAE 3 bas is "bloated" and vocals too dark, strange. You wrote about CIEM or universal? Which one you use DAP, DAC/AMP? I asked because in FIBAE3 everything depends of DAP, DAC/AMP and cable, because this CIEM is more transparent than FIBAE2, 1. For me Harmony 8.2 have bass "bloated" and dark vocals, Pro330v2 have to darkness vocals than F3.

Jun 4, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #1,117 of 2,468
Yes, there are respond well to EQ-ing. And respond very well to change a cable.

In FIBAE 3 bas is "bloated" and vocals too dark, strange. You wrote about CIEM or universal? Which one you use DAP, DAC/AMP? I asked because in FIBAE3 everything depends of DAP, DAC/AMP and cable, because this CIEM is more transparent than FIBAE2, 1. For me Harmony 8.2 have bass "bloated" and dark vocals, Pro330v2 have to darkness vocals than F3.

The ones I tried were universal and they sealed quite nice. I was not aware of how much of a difference dac/amps made on the FIBAE 3, So I was using it directly to my Sony A40 player. I own a pair of HD650s and the vocals sound alright. Maybe "dark" was not that good of a description, it felt like the instruments were obscuring or "muddying" the vocals which I didn't enjoy.
Take this with a grain of salt as my experience is nowhere near enough to accurately judge earphones.

Jun 4, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #1,118 of 2,468
The ones I tried were universal and they sealed quite nice. I was not aware of how much of a difference dac/amps made on the FIBAE 3, So I was using it directly to my Sony A40 player. I own a pair of HD650s and the vocals sound alright. Maybe "dark" was not that good of a description, it felt like the instruments were obscuring or "muddying" the vocals which I didn't enjoy.
Take this with a grain of salt as my experience is nowhere near enough to accurately judge earphones.

The source shouldn’t make a difference signature-wise because of FIBAE technology. I think what you’re hearing is the lower-treble dip that slightly reduces solidity for smoothness’s sake. I second the Pro330v2 recommendation, it should give you the clarity and articulation you’re looking for.

Jun 4, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #1,119 of 2,468
Universal FIBAE 3 is bloated I agree. CIEM is different, CIEM F3 are transparent, sound signature depends on source and cable.

Jun 4, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #1,120 of 2,468
The source shouldn’t make a difference signature-wise because of FIBAE technology. I think what you’re hearing is the lower-treble dip that slightly reduces solidity for smoothness’s sake. I second the Pro330v2 recommendation, it should give you the clarity and articulation you’re looking for.
Thanks! I'll look for a demo as soon as I can. High hopes for this one!

On a side note, do most "Pro" or musician monitors carry these vocal-orientated signatures, or do they exist elsewhere? From what I've seen the majority of the audio world follow the V shape tren.

Jun 4, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #1,122 of 2,468
Thanks! I'll look for a demo as soon as I can. High hopes for this one!

On a side note, do most "Pro" or musician monitors carry these vocal-orientated signatures, or do they exist elsewhere? From what I've seen the majority of the audio world follow the V shape tren.

Definitely, man! Since you're familiar with E-Earphone, I can recommend a bunch of IEMs for you to try. Though, they'd probably be much pricier than the FIBAE line. Within a similar budget to the FIBAE 2 or 3, I can recommend the Empire Ears EVR, the Lime Ears LE3 and the AAW A3H.

Jun 4, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #1,123 of 2,468
Guys let's don't misinform people here the signature of FIBAE IEMs won't change much on the sound source - the effects of sound sources are measurable. There might be small differences between source that have very very low and very very high impedance but nothing that would make a night and day difference like with old designs which can result in >5dB output differences. If you take the sources with output impedance that are close to each other the difference should be negligible.
Finally please note that because FIBAE IEMs have relatively low impedance they might not be suitable for some amplifiers designed for high impedance load - like tube amps - in that case the distortions would increase affecting the IEMs performance.
Cables - as proved pages ago do make a difference due to noticeable changes in cross-talk. It has been measured and confirmed.

@KENNAe If you like HD650 - Harmony 8.2 is HD650-ish

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #1,125 of 2,468
Definitely, man! Since you're familiar with E-Earphone, I can recommend a bunch of IEMs for you to try. Though, they'd probably be much pricier than the FIBAE line. Within a similar budget to the FIBAE 2 or 3, I can recommend the Empire Ears EVR, the Lime Ears LE3 and the AAW A3H.

Thank so much for the recommendations!
I'd like to stay within $500-600 if possible as this will be my first CIEM, but I'm open to try out more expensive ones.
It may be a while till I go to e-earphone, but I will update when I've made my decision.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back