Custom IEM users, I need some advice!
Oct 16, 2011 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sirpaul896

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I have been using the UE TF10 vi for about a year now - sound quality is best I've heard in IEMs, and I couldn't be happier with them. One thing I've always wanted though, is a set of good customs. Being way out of the price range I could afford, this desire has mostly remained a dream.

Recently though, an interesting opportunity has presented itself...I started working for a hearing aid company this September, and have been chatting to some of the people about custom IEMs. I was told that I could have a set made for free. They would take my impression, make a 3D scan of it, then make the mold out of plastic or silicon.

What I was thinking is that I could take my TF10s out of their enclosure, stick them into a mold and have customs...for free (negating the original cost of the IEM)!

-----

I have a few worries though.

1) sound isolation (top priority)
2) sound quality (tied with #1)
3) ability to take the drivers back out if not happy with results

Sound isolation is very important for me - I know that when UE makes their molds, they coat the impression with wax in order to slightly enlarge the impression (for much better isolation).

---------------------------------------------------------

Now for the questions (ie TLDR section):

1) Should I just buy a set of cheaper Westone's, or maybe the UE SF5s to test it out first?
2) Also, custom owners: how do customs compare to the isolation given by the comply foam tips?
3) What material should i go with? I have a choice of many different colour acrylic plastics (going for see through, or translucent blue) OR (preferred) silicon (can be bent, and provides a more comfortable fit)
4) Anyone know how to open the TF10s without damaging the enclosure?

I still need to get the details on how they will encapsulate my buds into the plastic - if it will not be removable, I think I may buy a cheaper set of headphones to test out with first. If it can be removed, I will try with my TF10s.

What are your thoughts?

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 4
Isolation is great with customs. Sound should be exact as the tf 10 if done right.As far as removal of drivers . Once you destroy the tf casing you will not have anything to put them back in if you wanted to remove the drivers. I dont know anyone that has done a remodel that was not happy with the result. you will get better comfort with 26db reduction in noise and same if not better sound if done right.

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 4
I just had this done myself with my beloved triple fi 10s (not free though
wink_face.gif
).  I am thrilled with the results the isolation is excellent, there was drilling and sawing going on at my gym the first day I got them, and I couldn't hear it at all.  Sound quality hasn't changed at all.

Look at the Inearz owner's thread there are mixed feelings about this.  I went ahead and went for it, and am very happy.  I think isolation is better than the complys, especially when working out, don't have to constantly readjust them.  Acrylic?  I've read silicone will eventually break down?  I went with dark trans black..I'm pretty sure from what I've read that they have to destroy the housings.  I'm already thinking of getting another IEM reshelled in a dark trans red

Oct 17, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 4
my tf10 on shure olives is about the same isolation as my customs, so if your tf10 is already on comply, the difference in isolation would be minimal, if any...sound quality should remain the same if done correctly

just go straight into remolding your tf10, no point getting a super-fi5 or westone to test out, tf10 is already one of the cheapest top-tiers around, and is a very good bang for buck iem for reshelling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back