Custom IEM Review: Ultimate Ears Personal Reference Monitor – Your Sound
Dec 11, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #16 of 61
Nice review.  I would agree that one would be very hesitant about ordering CIEM's without first having the opportunity to demo something to give you an idea of how they sound before walking in blind with a large check.  Thankfully, I demo'ed UE's full line up at the time with their customs molded to allow for Comply foam tips prior to ordering mine.  However, this PRM ordering process seems like the best possible way of fully realizing the 'custom' in custom IEM to suit each customer's desires.  

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #17 of 61
Quote:
Very nice, Joe!  

I appreciate the way you refrain from a single ranking system but compare sonic characteristics and then evaluate them from a particular point of view so that the reader can weight his or her priorities and gather information.

If I ever need to replace my IERM or want to complement them, I'm going to use this review as a reference...PRM SE 5-Way > ES5 would be in the running.

Thanks for your time and effort spent.  Not easy doing something like this...

Thank you for the recognition and glad it is helpful to you!

Quote:
I am crying....

Tears of joy?

Quote:
First of all, thank you Joe for the great and detailed review!   

Apologies to everyone if this seems like a sales post, but I wanted to let everyone know that we have a much smaller version to "check out" if you cannot find a rep close to you.  Give us a call if you like to play with this.

Thanks Vincent, many are eagerly awaiting additional information on the smaller boxes.

Quote:
Nice review.  I would agree that one would be very hesitant about ordering CIEM's without first having the opportunity to demo something to give you an idea of how they sound before walking in blind with a large check.  Thankfully, I demo'ed UE's full line up at the time with their customs molded to allow for Comply foam tips prior to ordering mine.  However, this PRM ordering process seems like the best possible way of fully realizing the 'custom' in custom IEM to suit each customer's desires.  

I have listened to demos from 7 companies and have come to the conclusion that demos aren't always representative of the real sound signature and are not technically as good, especially in soundstage size and space.  But, the PRM demo is very very close in sound signature to the real thing.

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #18 of 61
Hi Vincent,

I would meet up with some locals and share the demo if you would like to send a unit to the Bay Area...I know that several have been interested in hearing this.

If even the 50/50/50 tuning has some slight advantages or a different "flavor" from the RM, sounds good to me!

Cheers,
CEE TEE
Quote:
First of all, thank you Joe for the great and detailed review!   

Apologies to everyone if this seems like a sales post, but I wanted to let everyone know that we have a much smaller version to "check out" if you cannot find a rep close to you.  Give us a call if you like to play with this.

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #24 of 61
Jan 25, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #26 of 61
A friend and I both ordered an PRM @ UE headquarters.  Will report back when I get them with pics of HQ too.

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #27 of 61
Honestly, I think it'd be a good idea for UE to miniaturize the tuning box even further and adapt the technology into something similar to the JH3A or PP6. I think UE would actually be the one company that has the resources to pull off the concept correctly.

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #28 of 61
I agree with you.  I would like to be able to change settings depending on songs :p.  

One of the UE employees said they are working on amps to pair with their IEMs.  But nothing like the JH3A atm.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #29 of 61
Jan 26, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #30 of 61
Quote:
A friend and I both ordered an PRM @ UE headquarters.  Will report back when I get them with pics of HQ too.

Very nice.  Care to share your settings?

Quote:
Honestly, I think it'd be a good idea for UE to miniaturize the tuning box even further and adapt the technology into something similar to the JH3A or PP6. I think UE would actually be the one company that has the resources to pull off the concept correctly.

I am not sure how good of a thing that would be for the general public.  I can see many people being driven to frustration by the options or just not using them and I like the current implementation.  Make a decision now.  But yes, UE could probably pull off anything they want!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back