Custom IEM Review: Hidition NT-6 Pro – Clear & Precise Fun
Dec 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #152 of 527
  Its a great CIEM, but it can be fatiguing depending on what you listen to it through. What are you listening to it with now?

It seems to have slam throughout the spectrum, but that extra energies in the highs are what get me in long listening sessions. I would be interested to see what your thoughts are paired with the DX100 and if you feel it smooths things out. I have been listening through the DX50 and find that it is a lot smoother than my C3/BH2 setup. The DX50 does sound better adding back the BH2, but does so at the cost of bringing back a small bit of the fatigue.

I think averagejoe's favorite pairing was the DX100/Portaphile 627 combo. Were you considering going all the way with the amp too?

I usually listen with my Macbook Pro right now. AK100+T1 as well. However, AK100 and T1 is not a perfect combination to NT6Pro.
I hunted for a while for a new DAP, then DX100 turned out to be the best.
Won't consider any amps. Seems DX100 is able to fully control NT6Pro. If not i will find some other decent amps. 

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #153 of 527
  Going for DX100!
Seems the best combination for NT6Pro.
Hope they will have a very smooth highs.

I have tried several sources (not all listed in my source matching) with the NT-6 pro and found the DX100 plays best with it.

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #155 of 527
I will just say there are worse sources than the DX100 from a sibilance standpoint.  Cables will probably help with that more than a source.  I did recently pair the NT-6 pro with the Effect Studio Thor silver cable with good results.

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #156 of 527
I've been reading a lot about the NT6 pro and all the other TOTL ciems, much of it from you Joe, so thanks for your detailed comparissons. I don't think there is a forum page I haven't read or another review to inform me....

Barra, you say the NT6 pro can be fatiguing during longer listening sessions. Do you think if the treble was toned down more and getting more towards the smoother extension of something like the SE5 way that you would prefer that? Or is the slam and treble energy a requisite for its sound that if taken away would make the NT6 pro less exciting? Do you find the treble annoying enough to try and modify through DAP or cable selection?

Basically, I am trying to decide between the two (NT6 pro and SE5 way) at the moment and keep flitting between the two. Joe if you had to pick one, which would you pick?

I understand that they are different. I suppose my problem is that I can appreciate both of the sound signatures. My current ciem is the Unique Melody Mage, reviewed as bright, mid forward and perhaps a bit lean, but my hifi setup is much more natural, smooth yet detailed with much more bass extension etc.

I will be picking up a Hdp r 10 in Japan later this year. Any thoughts on the above would be much appreciated. Oh and one other consideration is the 500 usd premium on the SE5 way....

Thanks in advance.

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #157 of 527
I've been reading a lot about the NT6 pro and all the other TOTL ciems, much of it from you Joe, so thanks for your detailed comparissons. I don't think there is a forum page I haven't read or another review to inform me....

Barra, you say the NT6 pro can be fatiguing during longer listening sessions. Do you think if the treble was toned down more and getting more towards the smoother extension of something like the SE5 way that you would prefer that? Or is the slam and treble energy a requisite for its sound that if taken away would make the NT6 pro less exciting? Do you find the treble annoying enough to try and modify through DAP or cable selection?

Basically, I am trying to decide between the two (NT6 pro and SE5 way) at the moment and keep flitting between the two. Joe if you had to pick one, which would you pick?

I understand that they are different. I suppose my problem is that I can appreciate both of the sound signatures. My current ciem is the Unique Melody Mage, reviewed as bright, mid forward and perhaps a bit lean, but my hifi setup is much more natural, smooth yet detailed with much more bass extension etc.

I will be picking up a Hdp r 10 in Japan later this year. Any thoughts on the above would be much appreciated. Oh and one other consideration is the 500 usd premium on the SE5 way....

Thanks in advance.

Based on AJs reviews, I wanted both but only had the funds to get one. So I chose the NT6 Pro through the process of elimination. Do I still want the SE5 - yes! Have I ever been sorry I got the NT6 Pro - hell no! I really don't think you could go wrong either way. Here was my process of elimination:

- Price: The NT6 Pro is at relatively the same level of performance but at a 25%+ discount to the SE5.
- Tariff: Being in the US, the SE5 would have cost me an additional $250 in Tariffs and fees while the free trade agreement with Korea eliminated that potential cost the the Hiditions. I say potential as some have luckily made it through the import process without getting caught. Even worse, this tariff issue could be triggered again if the SE5 needed to go back for a refit or repair.
- SE's Shipping Policy: SE will only ship inside the EU requiring anyone outside the EU to use a re-shipper service so that SE doesn't get stuck paying the tariffs that come their direction due to the broken system. That adds additional cost and complexity to getting a pair of CIEMs that eliminated them from the running.
- Signature: I already had the LCD2s that share the SE5's warmer lusher signature, so I thought that the NT6 Pro could be my stand in HD800 so to speak. They are very complimentary to each other providing two ways to hear my music depending on my mood.

As for fatiguing, there is no listening fatigue with my Clip Zip nor with my DX50. It was mostly my C3/BH2 combo that was fatiguing because the notes hit so hard due to the NT6 Pro's outstanding capabilities. The clear as a bell signature unfortunately makes me want to turn the volume up too high which probably has something to do with it as well. The fatigue due to longer listening sessions my be due to fit as well as I do need to remove them to allow the blood to flow again on occasion. But maybe I am just personally sensitive to anything on my ears for a prolonged period of time as I have to remove the LCD2s from time to time as well.

All I can say is that when I listen to my Mjolnir/LCD2 or DX50/NT6 Pro audiophile setups, it makes the rest of my consumer level equipment sound like children's toys.

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #158 of 527

Thanks in advance.

My experience told me: do not buy AK100 to pair with NT6Pro. That pair really sucks.

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #159 of 527
Based on AJs reviews, I wanted both but only had the funds to get one. So I chose the NT6 Pro through the process of elimination. Do I still want the SE5 - yes! Have I ever been sorry I got the NT6 Pro - hell no! I really don't think you could go wrong either way. Here was my process of elimination:

- Price: The NT6 Pro is at relatively the same level of performance but at a 25%+ discount to the SE5.
- Tariff: Being in the US, the SE5 would have cost me an additional $250 in Tariffs and fees while the free trade agreement with Korea eliminated that potential cost the the Hiditions. I say potential as some have luckily made it through the import process without getting caught. Even worse, this tariff issue could be triggered again if the SE5 needed to go back for a refit or repair.
- SE's Shipping Policy: SE will only ship inside the EU requiring anyone outside the EU to use a re-shipper service so that SE doesn't get stuck paying the tariffs that come their direction due to the broken system. That adds additional cost and complexity to getting a pair of CIEMs that eliminated them from the running.
- Signature: I already had the LCD2s that share the SE5's warmer lusher signature, so I thought that the NT6 Pro could be my stand in HD800 so to speak. They are very complimentary to each other providing two ways to hear my music depending on my mood.

As for fatiguing, there is no listening fatigue with my Clip Zip nor with my DX50. It was mostly my C3/BH2 combo that was fatiguing because the notes hit so hard due to the NT6 Pro's outstanding capabilities. The clear as a bell signature unfortunately makes me want to turn the volume up too high which probably has something to do with it as well. The fatigue due to longer listening sessions my be due to fit as well as I do need to remove them to allow the blood to flow again on occasion. But maybe I am just personally sensitive to anything on my ears for a prolonged period of time as I have to remove the LCD2s from time to time as well.

All I can say is that when I listen to my Mjolnir/LCD2 or DX50/NT6 Pro audiophile setups, it makes the rest of my consumer level equipment sound like children's toys.

Thanks for your reply Barra, your posts about the NT6 pro are also the reason for me considering it. Great to hear that with the right partnering gear it isn't fatiguing.

I think I'm leaning towards the NT6 pro now. Sometimes I find warm and lush a touch boring. The IE8s that I bought for my wife and the Shure SE535s I owned before definitely were. I found them too polite without enough bite. The price difference for similar performance is also appealing.

Part of me wants to wait and see how the new Roxannes from JH audio are received. But that's back in SE5 way price territory....

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #160 of 527

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for reading.  Jumping to your question, my decision would take personal preference into account and wouldn't necessarily be the right choice for you.  While the NT-6 pro is very good, the SE5 is more natural and realistic.  I do enjoy the ultra-clarity of the NT-6 pro, but the natural, organic sound and exceptional PRaT make the SE5 sound so "right."  It is a tough call, but just remember the NT-6 pro adds more color to the music.

Thanks for sharing your thought process, the value factor does favor the NT-6 pro.  I too have the LCD-2 and think the SE5 destroys it :)

My experience told me: do not buy AK100 to pair with NT6Pro. That pair really sucks.

The AK100 seems pretty bad from a direct source perspective due to the output impedance.  The AK120 is pretty good with the NT-6 pro, and better than the DX50, of course at a very heavy price premium.

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #161 of 527

The AK100 seems pretty bad from a direct source perspective due to the output impedance.  The AK120 is pretty good with the NT-6 pro, and better than the DX50, of course at a very heavy price premium.

Yes, AK100 is really a bad choice. I added Tralucent T1 amp on it, but it only sounds fair, at least not too bad.
What do you think about AK120 and DX100? Which one might be better to pair with NT6Pro?

I thought about buying SE5Way around year ago. At that moment, i have enough budget to buy it, but someone told me my ear canal is too small. So i just gave up. Temporarily, NT6Pro really can satisfy me. If Spiral Ear updates their flagship, that will be a very good timing for me to replace my NT6pro 

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #162 of 527
Hey AJ, that is interesting that you are hearing more color coming from the NT6 Pro vs. the SE5, I would have thought that to be the other way around. Could you give us a little more detail on what you mean and how you are hearing this? Also, is this with all your sources or some in particular?

One of the reasons for my interest is that I would have described my LCD2 as inherently warm and euphoric until I matched it with my Mjolnir last week. Now my LCD2 sounds more like the NT6 Pro with a clear as a bell, open sound stage, transparent, and neutral signature. This experience has made me rethink how I look at a HP's signature to take scaling into consideration.

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #163 of 527
I think I'm leaning towards the NT6 pro now. Sometimes I find warm and lush a touch boring. The IE8s that I bought for my wife and the Shure SE535s I owned before definitely were. I found them too polite without enough bite. The price difference for similar performance is also appealing.

Part of me wants to wait and see how the new Roxannes from JH audio are received. But that's back in SE5 way price territory....

No problem smithyone1l, just trying to hold up the thread. The SE5's biggest advantage is a very active thread where it is easy to pull information and compare notes. It would be great to continue growing this thread where we can compare notes as well. 
smile.gif

Decisions, decisions - I would love to hear the new Roxanne as well. Perhaps AJ will get a shot at it and can add it to his multi CIEM forum for us to see how it compares. Like I mentioned earlier, I don't think you can go wrong at this level as I am sure that they all are great, just different signatures.

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #164 of 527
Hey AJ, that is interesting that you are hearing more color coming from the NT6 Pro vs. the SE5, I would have thought that to be the other way around. Could you give us a little more detail on what you mean and how you are hearing this? Also, is this with all your sources or some in particular?

AJ, I'm also interested in this. Maybe in some day in the future I will buy one of the CIEM flagships and currently I'm also considering NT-6 and SE5way (and maybe JH Audio 13 Pro). I love clarity, detaility and no coloration, but at the same time I don't like very bright sound and I like very puhcny, quick, textured bass:D

Dec 28, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #165 of 527
Barra and AJ, did you guys do a mouth closed impression for your nt6 pro?

I am about to pull the trigger on getting some and would appreciate the advice. Complete coincidence has my wife in Seoul in the next month sn I can get both stock and upgrade cable for a nice discount at local price.

Hidition have said mouth closed which I have read should put more pressure on the IEM than mouth open. However, my current IEMs were mouth open and actually have more bass and a better seal in that position than when in relaxed mouth closed listening. Which is a bit frustrating!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back