Custom IEM or Headphone Equivalent to the EPH-100 ?
Dec 1, 2012 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

StargateRecords

100+ Head-Fier
I have been blown away by the Yamaha EPH-100, the first earphones that I can use across all the genres I listen to. Their clarity is beyond what I have experienced so far with portable audio, even with more expensive IEM's and headphones. However, I still find myself craving the texture, warmth and depth of the lower frequencies that you get with full size headphones. The problem is this, I haven't been able to find any closed back full size headphones that have that same level of detail as the EPH-100, and in any case, all the headphones I've tried so far have cooked my ears ! literally glowing red !

basshead.gif

Maybe Multi-Driver IEM's can reproduce the same clarity with the addition of the lower frequencies too? So, to all the EPH-100 owners out there, do you also own IEM's (customs or not), that have both the clarity and detail of the EPH-100, along with the texture, warmth and depth of full sized headphones? Could you post your recommendations here?, thanks in advance. I am very interested in any comparisons between the EPH-100 and the ACS Dual Driver or Triple Driver, but I am open to any suggestions whatsoever, headphones or IEM's...

Dec 1, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 6
They're not CIEM's but the Earsonics SM3 V2 has the sound signature your looking for along with great detail and a very good soundstage with the best 3D imaging I've heard, oh and they have a good low end.  The bass is very punchy with good depth but I'll be honest I think the EPH-100 has more, how should I say, rumble in the lows not by a whole lot but it does out do the SM3 a little bit.  Over all though the SM3 is a far superior IEM and would be a very good upgrade over the EPH-100 plus it will be cheaper than any 3 or 4 BA custom you'd get and sound about as good.  I'm just not a big believer in a CIEM being that much better than a really good top-tier IEM like the SM3, W4, PFE 232 and some others.  For the price of a 6 BA custom you can get 2 really good top-tier universals but I'm a frugal person :)

The BA200 is another with a warm smooth signature with great clarity but the bass is probably to light for what you are looking for though.

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #3 of 6
Have a look at Cosmic Ears offerings. Their Flex range or HY3 may suit you, and not only are they customs, they will be considerably cheaper than an SM3 v2.

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 6
The Westone ES5 offers similar soundquality to your requirements and the imaging, soundstage, instruments separation like full size headphones.

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 6
I just wanted to follow this up with...   
basshead.gif

eek.gif

ksc75smile.gif
   the bass is just perfect, I couldn't be happier.

I'm now running the EPH-100 through my new Neco Sound Labs V3 and they are sounding incredible !

I will bookmark your suggestions and maybe try some of them in the future, if I get some free time.

I'm especially interested in the Earsonics SM3 V2, they could be just what I'm looking for long term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back