Custom ear molds for ER-4's
Jul 24, 2006 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

russdog

500+ Head-Fier
Evidently, you can now get custom ear molds for Etymotics for $115 without a trip to the audiologist: http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/cusfitearmol1.html.

Does anyone know if custom ear molds make much of a difference? I am very happy with my ER-4P's. I don't need better isolation or better sound or better comfort. The only annoyance for me is the little physical tweaking required to get them inserted properly. So, I mainly wonder if custom ear molds are better at letting your ER-4's "just pop right in".
  1. Does anybody know if custom ear molds make putting them on/in any easier?
  2. Does anybody know about this particular brand of them?
  3. Does anybody know what it costs to get them via other companies who require that you go to an audiologist for fitting?

Jul 24, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 11
Interesting - but it says

"If you use the foam tips or your phones already have triple flanged tips, as is the case with ER-4 phones and some Shures, the custom molds will probably not increase isolation enough to notice..."

So if putting them in easier is the only criteria...seems kinda expensive..

Jul 24, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 11
Hi russdog,

It really depends on who makes them and how well they make them, and the material they use. I almost can say that I prefer the 3-flange tips over sleeves in many cases. Case #1. Do you think you will eat or talk or sing with them on? If you do, you might find some discomfort and/or annoyance with them if they are made with hard materials (and most are). And it's not just these activities where the shape of your ear canal will change frequently. Hard custom sleeves do not adjust themselves to the changes in the shape of your ear canal. What happens is that you temporarily lose the seal when you open your mouth. When you close it the seal comes back (most of the time anyway, sometimes you need to reseat them). So when you open your mouth you have no bass and you can hear outside noise. Very annoying. And if you get an open mouth impression to make the sleeves, you will not get this effect when you open your mouth but you might start to feel a strong pressure against the walls of your ear canals after a while when your mouth is closed.

Custom sleeves made in hard materials can also pose a risk of damage to your earphones everytime you insert and remove them from the sleeves. And you need to do this when you change your filters and when you clean your earphones.

I use Sensaphonics custom sleeves on my ER-4. They are soft silicone, yet they still exhibit the above mentioned intermittent unseal problem in some rare occasions. Especially when eating. Another problem with them, and maybe other manufacturers don't do this, is that they place the earphones too far away from my eardrums. This affects the sound greatly. This is case #2. Frequency response will changed when the length of the sound bore is extended, and generally not for the better. With some modifications though the sound is 90% of what it use to be, but moving the earphones that far out is not a good idea and I hope the makers of your custom sleeves will not do this.

Custom sleeves are a bit more tricky to insert and remove from your ears. Depending of how difficult it is for you to insert standard tips (everyone has different ears so it varies), it might be easier to insert custom sleeves, but removal is not as simple. Instead of pulling them straight out, you have to twist them out. You also twist them in but most people require an extra push at the bottom, or an extra tugging of the ear, or some wigging, etc. Everyone has his/her own thing they do to get them in. Michael Shumacher, famous Formula One World Champ, can be seen quite often sucking on his IEMs to moisten them before he twists them into his ears. Then he strongly pushes them at the bottom to give them a final bit of pressure for a proper fit.

Basically if you do not have a problem with seal and comfort with any of the universal eartips, neither Etymotic nor I would recommend custom sleeves. They are for people who just can't find a universal tip that fits their ears properly.

Jul 25, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #4 of 11
honda... thank you for a very thoughtful and very helpful response...

my only problem with the ER-4's is that I use them intermittently, mainly when travelling... without everyday use, my fingers forget how to get them in properly, so it takes a couple tries at first... after a day or so, my fingers have figured it out all over again, and it's no trouble whatsoever... but then a couple weeks later, my fingers have forgotten what to do, so the cycle repeats...

in other words, I was mainly looking for a way to be lazy :wink:

given what you have told me, I'll just stick with what I've got... thanks again...

Jul 25, 2006 at 8:52 AM Post #5 of 11
I would not want to make the impressions myself. UE has some very strict rules for getting the impressions done correctly. I would want someone with experience handling the situation, so that the end result is perfect.
Sloppy done impressions will most likely end up in uncomfortable molds.

Jul 25, 2006 at 12:53 PM Post #6 of 11
I'm very happy with the molds. It took 3 tries to get them right, but once right, I'd never go back to triflanges. The isolation's about the same, but they're so much more comfy. It's worth it to me to have the custom molds.
DSC03223.jpg

Jul 30, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #8 of 11
I received some clarifications from Earplugstore this week which I thought it might be useful to post here:

Quote:

1. They are made of a soft silicone material that is flexible.

2. For custom molds for earphones like the ER-6, ER-6i, and all the Shure earphones, are canal only. Full-shell molds are made for all other earphones. All the pictures we have are listed on the web site. If you prefer canal only for an earphone custom mold, please let us know in the comments section of your order so that the molds can be made to your specifications.

Apr 5, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #9 of 11
russdog:
I should start by saying that I'm not an audiophile however I enjoy a comfortable earbud. I did some research and found a company called Earsound Customs (EarSound Customs - Revolutionize Your Listening Experience™). Although I they have a custom option for all makes and models of head phones my experience is with their iPod attachment which enables me to take the standard iPod earbuds, fit them snugly into the iPod attachment and then put the iPod attachment into my ears. The iPod attachments are made from impressions taken from my ears so I have a true custom fit. The impression process only takes 10 minutes. An unintended benefit is that my cell phone's hands free device also fit into the iPod attachments so I can listen to my conference calls in comfort. This company can make some type of attachment for all makes and models of head phones. Hope this helps. Also, I typically use my iPod attachments while I travel. I'm a Platinum Medallion on Delta and use to use the Bose over the ear noise canceling head phones but they are too big and bulky. Again, I hope this helps.

Apr 5, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #10 of 11
You did notice that this thread is near 3 years old ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back