Custom Cans Impressions Thread.
Apr 9, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #166 of 246
Just want to write a small review. I have to say even if I'm from Europe (Croatia) I would order from Custom Cans again, because of their outstanding support and product quality. I have Hifiman HE4xx and the first cable I have received has the right plug which is not supported by the headphones plug (the first ring is too thick), and they have send the replacement which has some issues with the plug cover which is blocking the plug to lock in the headphones connector. They have informed me via email that they will try to sort it out for me. So once again outstanding support even if I have to wait a little bit longer.

I don't know if any company would reply for a third time in a row if I report some issues with the product and requesting their support.

Apr 18, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #167 of 246
Amiron Home with a 4.4 connecter/cable from CC. Same as everyone else I'm very pleased.

Thinking about sending in my AKG K712 in for a balanced mod. Unsure if it'll be a waste of money given I've not touched the AKGs since I got the Beyers...

Attachments

• 20230418_095827.jpg
    20230418_095827.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Jun 12, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #172 of 246
L1104702.jpg

Similar to someone earlier in the thread, I also had a nightmare with customs (the import control at the border, just to be clear). Custom Cans were finished quickly, but it was stuck for two weeks and took three phone calls to Swedish postal services before they finally released the package.

But wow, it was worth the wait! The cable is absolutely beautiful. 🤩 And apart from some internal plastic parts in the connectors, close to fossil fuel based material free which was important to me. 🌳

As for the sound (disclaimer: this might be the difference between balanced and unbalanced on my amp), there seems to be some lower bass extension and detail, but also possibly an ever so slight harsh edge to some treble which wasn't there before. It also did something to the soundstage and separation which I can't put my finger on yet (I hear differences in the left or right channel balance more pronounced). But I don't think cables do too much for the sound (and I believe I read that the people behind Custom Cans think the same). More importantly, this cable is the perfect length for me and super lightweight since it's just silk with no splitter at all. It's also nice and soft. Plus, when it lies across my desk and I put my arm on it, since it's flat I don't notice it at all. In the photo, you see mostly the black side, but the other side is off-white with a really nice, detailed pattern. If I can level one criticism it's that the way the inner edges after the split is cut and sewn makes some parts of it a bit sharp and could be done better but it's a new design for them so their technique will hopefully get more refined with more experience. You can also get some microphonics if you scrape along the edge of the ribbon. But overall those issues aren't a big deal, especially at this price.

Overall, very satisfied customer so far, but Brexit unfortunately didn't do them any favours.

(PS. Funny... I think it's my cable they have on their website under DCA Ultimate Cable photos, because I know from the e-mails that I was the first one to request the XL-H connector without any heat shrink.) 😃

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #173 of 246
If I can level one criticism it's that the way the inner edges after the split is cut and sewn makes some parts of it a bit sharp and could be done better but it's a new design for them so their technique will hopefully get more refined with more experience. You can also get some microphonics if you scrape along the edge of the ribbon. But overall those issues aren't a big deal, especially at this price.

Overall, very satisfied customer so far, but Brexit unfortunately didn't do them any favours.

(PS. Funny... I think it's my cable they have on their website under DCA Ultimate Cable photos, because I know from the e-mails that I was the first one to request the XL-H connector without any heat shrink.) 😃
I am glad you like the cable and thanks for the feedback. I will try to find a way to make the seam a bit softer. As for Brexit... Yes it is crazy that we can ship things to all kinds of places like Afghanistan and Botswana with no problems but it is really hard to get stuff from the UK to europe smoothly. We may have to set up a relay in Ireland and sneak them in that way :wink:

Jun 15, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #174 of 246
I am glad you like the cable and thanks for the feedback. I will try to find a way to make the seam a bit softer. As for Brexit... Yes it is crazy that we can ship things to all kinds of places like Afghanistan and Botswana with no problems but it is really hard to get stuff from the UK to europe smoothly. We may have to set up a relay in Ireland and sneak them in that way :wink:

An itemized invoice showing VAT, shipping, item costs (pre VAT) and the seller's IOSS number has been enough to get many orders through Customs painlessly. The sticking point is the 135 euro total cap on goods + shipping before duties are levied.

P.S. Beautiful cable, indeed!

Jun 17, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #175 of 246
I installed the version 3 DT770 kit on my DT770 250Ω, I'm really impressed.

I already have an 80Ω Uber modified pair, and I liked how it cleared up some of the colouration of these beyerdynamic headphones, but the version 3 really increases resolution.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #176 of 246
I installed the version 3 DT770 kit on my DT770 250Ω, I'm really impressed.

I already have an 80Ω Uber modified pair, and I liked how it cleared up some of the colouration of these beyerdynamic headphones, but the version 3 really increases resolution.
The v3 Kit in on the way to me and i hope it will arrive on tuesday.
I am curious how it sounds!

Jun 19, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #177 of 246
My DT770 250Ω were my 'comfort' headphones, I had others which had better sound such as Sennheiser HD650 (Custom Cans mod really perks up the bass of the HD650), Audeze LCD2 and beyerdynamic DT1990.

So when I ordered my Uber DT770 80Ω, I was looking for a comfortable pair of cans with the added convenience of a detachable cable and lower impedance. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the 'pasticy' timbre of stock DT770s was much reduced. The Uber DT770 80Ω was a step ahead of the stock DT770 250Ω in sound as well as convenience, relegating the 250Ω pair to use with my TV. The TV's headphone output hissed with the 80Ω, I would have passed the 250Ω on if it were not for that.

Before ordering the version 3 kit, I opened my Ubers to find what looked like version 2 mods inside (copper ring). My experience was that the version 3 kit not only got rid of the plastic sound (resonance?), but also brings a more focused higher resolution sound quality. The drivers of 80Ω and 250Ω are different, the 250Ω drivers have underhung voice coils with lower mass, the 80Ω drivers are overhung and also have a thicker membrane for the diaphragm, so it's not an even playing field, 250Ω DT770s should have a faster response in theory, but compared to the Uber 80Ω, I didn't hear that until I installed the version 3 kit.

Jun 24, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #178 of 246
Got a couple hours on the CC 1990's - very happy with these and couldn't tell they were modified if I didn't have the filter switch. Glad I got the passive filter, just takes the sting out of certain tracks which are a bit too much for me to cope with. Handy for the vinyl collection.

Definitely sending some more cans their way for 4 pin conversions.

Attachments

• 20230623_151504.jpg
    20230623_151504.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Jun 27, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #179 of 246
20230627_194909.jpg
DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm V3 Mod.
Thanks Custom Cans for the kit, i was one of the lucky winner!
First sound impressions: sounds much more balanced but still keeping the 770 DNA!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back