Custom Cans Impressions Thread.
Jul 19, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #46 of 246
We normally mark the left with black shrink tubing but you can request other colours

They are designed not to be microphonic - the cable has a bit of stretch to it which allows it to soak up the vibrations more than most straight cables

Our technician is still working from home so I am not 100% sure what he has at the moment but I believe the only recessed angled 3.5 we use is this style.
EAU-37525-a.jpg
or the standard, non recessed one would be like this
4548.jpg

We have a queue of around 3 weeks at the moment

Okay, many thanks. Order placed this morning. Happy to wait a few weeks for delivery. I opted for the straight 3.5mm jack in the end. Looking forward to receiving the cable in a few weeks! I hope my colour combo is going to look okay (Gun Grey / Desert Camo)!

Jul 24, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #47 of 246
Does anybody know if the mods take away the high peaks in treble on the dr1770 and dt1990 pro. Tempted by these

Jul 24, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #48 of 246
To be fair maybe the peaks would work out well for me. I know my 42 year old ears don't hear the high frequency as well as they used too!

Jul 24, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #49 of 246
Would either of them be decent for metal/post rock/jazz?

Jul 26, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #50 of 246
lol also tempted by the modded hd-25. I use hd25 for metal a lot so modded ones would be awesome

Aug 1, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #51 of 246
I received my Customs Cans headphone cable today and have been A/B testing it against the stock cable supplied with my new Beyerdynamic Aventho Wired on-ears. The Custom Cans cable also fits my T5p Gen 2 and T1 Gen 2 over ears.

The Aventho Wired on-ears come with a very thin cable that has a remote built into it:

3gFY0bi.jpg

It's a nice discreet, thin cable that doesn't get in the way and is perfect for on-the-go use. A lot of the reviews noted a lack of top end on the Aventho Wired. I noticed this slightly muted top end when A/B-ing the Aventho Wired with my T5p Gen2 over ears. For travel use it's not really a big deal though.

The Custom Cans cable is much thicker, but still fairly flexible. I ordered this combo:

Ultra-low capacitance cable with extended slim 3.5mm jacks (Beyerdynamic T1 / T5P Gen 2, Amiron Home, Audeze Sine)
Cable Length: 1.25 Meters
Colour 1: Gun Grey
Colour 2: Desert Camo
Jack Type: 3.5mm (1/8") Straight Jack

Here is how it looks connected between my Cayin N6ii DAP and Beyerdynamic Aventho on-ears:

sMLhx4k.jpg

b1o2Dpz.jpg

Here's the headphone end of the cable:

O3UXI0f.jpg

Something to bear in mind is that the device end 3.5mm connector has a large body so will not fit devices that have a slightly recessed headphone jack.

EU4zC21.jpg

For example, I couldn't connect the cable to my LG V30+ phone with case fitted, so I needed to used a short extender. However, the 3.5mm port on my Cayin N6ii is mounted flush with the top panel and the cable fitted perfectly, as it did on my ageing iPad Pro (when Apple did 3.5mm ports!).

Obviously the main point of discussion is the sound quality. I can say it is a noticeable improvement over the stock Aventho Wired cable. The slight veil is improved and the top end is slightly extended and has more sparkle. This was a really nice thing to notice as the Aventho Wired on-ears were noted for a slightly muted top end with the stock cable. The bottom end is still roughly the same (i.e. good enough for me). It's really the fixing of the top end and the more open and airy sound that I noticed as positive improvements.

The downside is that the cable is fairly bulky compared to the stock and is more microphonic (the stock cable is rubber coated). It'll still be fine for walks though.

So, all in all, a nice upgrade for my Aventho Wired on-ears. The stock cables that are supplied with the T5p Gen 2 and T1.2 are extremely high quality already (7N occ cables). They are exactly the same cables, differing only in length (1.4m for the T5p Gen 2 and 3m for the T1.2). It would be really difficult to improve on the already excellent sound quality but I'll A/B the Custom Cans cable with them next week, just out of curiosity.

A thumbs up from me for the Custom Cans cable. I have a better-sounding Beyerdynamic Aventho Wired.

Aug 27, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #52 of 246
Hello there looking into the Uber DT990 Custom Cans mod balanced cable. What exactly are the mods on the cans? I have seen a video of a damping kit for the DT770, but I believe the DT990 mods are not the same, right?
Also, has anybody compared them do the DT1990 (or even the Custom Cans modded version of the DT1990)?
Thanks guys...

Aug 27, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #53 of 246
on the 990 pro we add mass to the back of the driver which improves bass response and remove the white insert inside the earcup to make them fully open - that balances out the slight bass increase you get from the mass loading and makes them sound more open and airy. We can make a balanced pair without the other mods if you just want to take advantage of running them in balanced. I am totally biassed as I work at custom cans so it may be better for someone else to give you a comparison.

Aug 27, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #54 of 246
on the 990 pro we add mass to the back of the driver which improves bass response and remove the white insert inside the earcup to make them fully open - that balances out the slight bass increase you get from the mass loading and makes them sound more open and airy. We can make a balanced pair without the other mods if you just want to take advantage of running them in balanced. I am totally biassed as I work at custom cans so it may be better for someone else to give you a comparison.
Thanks @jfunk. I am less concerned about the DT990 Pro bass response/extension, but rather about the peaks at 4k and particulary at 12k which sometimes makes them sound a bit harsh when played in combination with a bright source. Adding mass to the back of the driver should actually "flatten" the frequency response, so also influence those peaks amplitude, any comments with regards to that?

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #58 of 246
I'm the very happy owner of three Custom Cans headphone cables. All three cables terminate in 3.5mm jacks, but I notice on the last two I ordered the "barrel" of the jack sits proud of the socket of my Hugo 2 by a few millimetres (the first one sits flush). I guess that's to accommodate recessed headphone sockets. All's good as far as the sound is concerned, but I find the gap to be visually distracting, and absent mindedly want to keep pushing the jack in further. For future purchase, is it possible to specify the type of jack in this respect?

Sep 21, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #59 of 246
I received my Customs Cans headphone cable today and have been A/B testing it against the stock cable supplied with my new Beyerdynamic Aventho Wired on-ears. The Custom Cans cable also fits my T5p Gen 2 and T1 Gen 2 over ears.

The Aventho Wired on-ears come with a very thin cable that has a remote built into it:

3gFY0bi.jpg

It's a nice discreet, thin cable that doesn't get in the way and is perfect for on-the-go use. A lot of the reviews noted a lack of top end on the Aventho Wired. I noticed this slightly muted top end when A/B-ing the Aventho Wired with my T5p Gen2 over ears. For travel use it's not really a big deal though.

The Custom Cans cable is much thicker, but still fairly flexible. I ordered this combo:

Ultra-low capacitance cable with extended slim 3.5mm jacks (Beyerdynamic T1 / T5P Gen 2, Amiron Home, Audeze Sine)
Cable Length: 1.25 Meters
Colour 1: Gun Grey
Colour 2: Desert Camo
Jack Type: 3.5mm (1/8") Straight Jack

Here is how it looks connected between my Cayin N6ii DAP and Beyerdynamic Aventho on-ears:

sMLhx4k.jpg

b1o2Dpz.jpg

Here's the headphone end of the cable:

O3UXI0f.jpg

Something to bear in mind is that the device end 3.5mm connector has a large body so will not fit devices that have a slightly recessed headphone jack.

EU4zC21.jpg

For example, I couldn't connect the cable to my LG V30+ phone with case fitted, so I needed to used a short extender. However, the 3.5mm port on my Cayin N6ii is mounted flush with the top panel and the cable fitted perfectly, as it did on my ageing iPad Pro (when Apple did 3.5mm ports!).

Obviously the main point of discussion is the sound quality. I can say it is a noticeable improvement over the stock Aventho Wired cable. The slight veil is improved and the top end is slightly extended and has more sparkle. This was a really nice thing to notice as the Aventho Wired on-ears were noted for a slightly muted top end with the stock cable. The bottom end is still roughly the same (i.e. good enough for me). It's really the fixing of the top end and the more open and airy sound that I noticed as positive improvements.

The downside is that the cable is fairly bulky compared to the stock and is more microphonic (the stock cable is rubber coated). It'll still be fine for walks though.

So, all in all, a nice upgrade for my Aventho Wired on-ears. The stock cables that are supplied with the T5p Gen 2 and T1.2 are extremely high quality already (7N occ cables). They are exactly the same cables, differing only in length (1.4m for the T5p Gen 2 and 3m for the T1.2). It would be really difficult to improve on the already excellent sound quality but I'll A/B the Custom Cans cable with them next week, just out of curiosity.

A thumbs up from me for the Custom Cans cable. I have a better-sounding Beyerdynamic Aventho Wired.
Nice write up. Did you get a chance to A/B the cable against the T5p and T1 stock cables? I'm debating ordering one to replace my T5p and Amiron Home stock cables.

Sep 21, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #60 of 246
I don't like the new style Rean mini XLRs with the rectangular release button. As you know, they tend to jam whereas the prior round button style was better. If you have any sway with Rean it would be nice if they would offer the old style again and ditch the new one. Maybe there is a good alternative to Rean for mini XLRs with a more reliable release mechanism.

Thanks for the cable you recently made for my DT1770s!

Custom Cans Beyer cable.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back