Custom Cans Impressions Thread.
Nov 14, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #227 of 246
Finally got a reply....but.... :weary:

Screenshot 2023-10-27 184929.jpg

Will try a different email address

@jfunk FYI
Thanks for letting me know. I will give our server guys a poak and see if I can get that fixed.

We are insanely busy at the moment but trying to wade through the torrent of emails.

If you don't get any luck with jfunk@jfunk.org

you can try
info@customcans.co.uk

The jfunk.org server is on it's last legs and we are gradually moveing everything over to the customcans.co.uk server

Nov 14, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #228 of 246
Thanks for letting me know. I will give our server guys a poak and see if I can get that fixed.

We are insanely busy at the moment but trying to wade through the torrent of emails.

If you don't get any luck with jfunk@jfunk.org

you can try
info@customcans.co.uk

The jfunk.org server is on it's last legs and we are gradually moveing everything over to the customcans.co.uk server

Yes, also tried the 2nd email with no luck/reply, please see my original posting (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/custom-cans-impressions-thread.918632/post-17790123)

Nov 19, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #229 of 246
Re Custom Cans Comfortstrap for the Edition XS:

If one has a larger head, say, a 7 5/8 hat size, is it a better idea to get the thinner more stretchy band or can the thicker band still be OK if you open the cans up a notch or two? I like the idea of the stretchier strap but wonder if the thicker, more rigid strap would be better for stabilizing the headphones.

Any one with either Comfortstrap, love to hear your thoughts!

Nov 21, 2023 at 1:57 AM Post #230 of 246
Been looking into their Uber DT 770 Pro (80 ohms) with the V3 kit, anyone having those? How does the sound differ compared to stock? Especially the bass?

Nov 24, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #231 of 246
Been looking into their Uber DT 770 Pro (80 ohms) with the V3 kit, anyone having those? How does the sound differ compared to stock? Especially the bass?
I applied the v3 kit to my 80 ohm 770s a while back and i think it matured the cans. It does sound a bit dry. I think Dan Clark would enjoy the v3 kit :)

Nov 24, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #232 of 246
I applied the v3 kit to my 80 ohm 770s a while back and i think it matured the cans. It does sound a bit dry. I think Dan Clark would enjoy the v3 kit :)
How dry are we talking about? Can be helped with a bit of EQ?

Nov 24, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #233 of 246
Hey i got the V3 kit for the beyer 80ohm dt 770 and a friend of me had the 770 80ohm in Stock configuration and brought them over. we did a longer (1h) comparison. The moded sounded more even in the mids, less noticeable 1k Dip and less treble zing. the Stock 770 sounded more v-shaped with a bit more ohmph in the lowend. the difference was there but its not drastic. For vocals we bouth liked the v3 more, it just sounded a bit more even.

Nov 24, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #235 of 246
Oh yeah EQ can help it, I do prefer the V3 mod's grown-up sound over the stock 770/80.
Well I ordered a pair a few days ago, can't wait to see! I've tried the stock 770 a while ago, while I really liked the bass, I found the mids a bit too recessed, and the treble a bit too bright for my taste, overall, a teeny bit too V-shaped for me, learned that my preferred signature tends to lean into a warm U-shape/warm neutral. So when I saw that the V3 was leveling the mids up a bit and taming the treble, it felt perfect for me, at least on paper!
So the idea with them, for me at least, is maybe to raise the bass a teeny bit with EQ (not a basshead, I just have something for warmer tunings)

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #236 of 246
Re Custom Cans Comfortstrap for the Edition XS:

If one has a larger head, say, a 7 5/8 hat size, is it a better idea to get the thinner more stretchy band or can the thicker band still be OK if you open the cans up a notch or two? I like the idea of the stretchier strap but wonder if the thicker, more rigid strap would be better for stabilizing the headphones.

Any one with either Comfortstrap, love to hear your thoughts!
I have a 7 1/2 head and took the thicker one and it's perfectly fine! but i think with the comfortstrap it's more about the heigth from the top of the head to your ears, as it is about the head circumference.
if you have to make the a few clicks out on the headband to get the ears to the Level of the drivers, you could probably take the thinner one that has more stretch. I wear the adjustment completely in. so i took the less stretchy thicker one. Hope that helps a bit.

Nov 26, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #237 of 246
I have a 7 1/2 head and took the thicker one and it's perfectly fine! but i think with the comfortstrap it's more about the heigth from the top of the head to your ears, as it is about the head circumference.
if you have to make the a few clicks out on the headband to get the ears to the Level of the drivers, you could probably take the thinner one that has more stretch. I wear the adjustment completely in. so i took the less stretchy thicker one. Hope that helps a bit.
Thanks. I went ahead and just ordered the thinner stretchier one thinking I'd take the advice on the webpage suggesting the thinner one for larger heads. We'll see. I've been using an HD-600 pad for comfort and somewhat more grip but it's less than ideal. The strap should hopefully be an improvement. I'll weigh in once I get it installed. I gotta say, I was thinking they might be overwhelmed with orders and it would take a while but it was literally shipped the next day at standard shipping with tracking provided, along with timely e-mail communication..

Nov 27, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #238 of 246
The grip and fit secure was one off points i bought it for and it definitely improves that. It also looks a bit better than just the chunky headband. Till know i didn't had the Balls to do the unchunkymod from Custom Cans 😅!

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #239 of 246
My modded DT 770 just arrived, and after a quick run with a handful of songs: I like them! The treble feels tamed, the mids brought up, and the bass feels quite smooth (even if the upped mids and reduced treble gives the illusion of less bass). A quick run in EQ with a 105Hz low shelf, and I'm reaching a point that I really enjoy!
Only con (and it's not CC's fault here) are the pads. While comfortable, my ears are touching the drivers, and while not painful in any shape or form, it's slightly uncomfortable. Wonder if the Alpha pads would be a good fit with those.

Overall, very pleased with them, good job Custom Cans!
(I'm not a photograph, and bad weather + artificial lights doesn't help, but I tried! I REALLY love the colour, even if the pic makes it a teeny bit more saturated. A very vivid purple, with fuschia/magenta hues depending on the angle)
20231208_120513.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #240 of 246
Well, I've had some time with the 1.3mm stretchy Comfortstrap with my Edition XS and it's been a big improvement over my previous mod of an HD-600 pad. I have a larger head size so I thought it would make sense to go with that one and I think it was a good idea, although I think the firmer one would have been OK too.

One of the things I did with it, that I saw jfunk do in the video, was raise the leather attachments a little above flush with the half moon plastic covers on each side of the cans. This give's a bit tighter/snugger fit but still remains quite comfortable. The strap is indeed very light and is stretchy enough but still gives a bit of clearance between it and the headband so you're not feeling any of the the chonk as it were. I could see even raising the straps a bit further in the future. Just depends on the state of the tape at that point. For the install, the tape was forgiving enough to make five or six adjustments in straightening and positioning etc. It would probably have handled more but the leather starts to flake off a bit if you get too OCD so I stopped myself when it felt/looked right. A bathroom mirror helps in seeing how it's sitting on the head.

The benefits are immediate: In the course of putting the cans on the head, lying back on a pillow and then getting up, it stays in place on the head and over the ears much more stably now. IOW, it now feels much more like a normal headphone stability-wise. It's still not what I would call a firm fit but it's a world apart from every single time I would move around from lying to standing the thing was falling off. At the same time it remains super comfortable. I might have to reposition a bit at times but nothing like before.

I put the suede side down (against the head) as I have very thinning hair and the suede provides a bit more of a grip vs. the regular leather side.

Bottom line: Well worth the money and easy to install. For the first time since owning the Edition XS, the cans will disappear and it's just the music. And that's what it's supposed to be all about.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back