Custom Art FIBAE 7 announcement & impressions thread
Sep 26, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #211 of 749
If you are sensitive to upper-mids and treble, then there is a possibility that the F7 might be bright for you. VX and F7 are bright at different regions. VX has a pronounced lower treble, so it can sound sharp and harsh. F7 is bright in the upper-mids making it sound intense and cause fatigue over time. In a track where there is a vocal, F7 brings the vocal forward and puts it in the spotlight. VX doesn’t favor either vocals or instruments. But without a vocal in the track, for example with classical and orchestral genres, F7 and VX would have a kind of a similar presentation, with the F7 having a bit more body and weight in the mids.

Thanks a lot for the information! Really appreciated. I think I am certainly sensitive to lower treble which is probably why I feel VX bright especially when the track has certain instruments, and I could easily get fatigued when listening to VX.
I am not too sure if I am too sensitive to upper mid given my limited experience. I do like vocal especially female vocal which is at least 50% out of the whole music I listen to. So I think vocal being brought forward to spotlight is actually what I would want to have. I used to have Oriolus MKII which sort of has similar character and I liked it a lot. However, I do feel I could get fatigued when listening to them for extended period.
In comparison, now I mainly listen to meze rai penta which like it a lot, but at times I do wish they could have more body. However, on the other side I am also worried that having more body may mean easier to cause fatigue? Overall I think I prefer balanced, relaxed, fatigue-free, warm sound with vocal brought slightly forward.
Probably I could only find out after listening to them myself.

Sep 26, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #212 of 749
I really don't hear the F7 has having agressive upper mids but the way I hear it it brings articulation but remains smooth contrary to something like RHA CL2 that really scratched my nerve in the upper mids section. Are we talking universal or custom? Pretty sure there is a difference...

Maybe it's due to the volume I listen to (quite moderate), the source or the style of music... @EagleWings do you have example of tracks I could check out for harshness? Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #213 of 749
I really don't hear the F7 has having agressive upper mids but the way I hear it it brings articulation but remains smooth contrary to something like RHA CL2 that really scratched my nerve in the upper mids section. Are we talking universal or custom? Pretty sure there is a difference...

Maybe it's due to the volume I listen to (quite moderate), the source or the style of music... @EagleWings do you have example of tracks I could check out for harshness? Thanks!

Fatigue brought on by the upper-midrange doesn't manifest itself as harshness really. As @EagleWings said, it's more that the lead instruments can sound a bit too intense at times. Just now, in fact, I was listening to Bruno Mars' 24K Magic on the FIBAE 7 and I noticed the vocals were more in-your-face than I was used to. So, it's not a matter of smoothness or harshness, but a matter of forwardness and saturation. As I said previously, that 2-4kHz elevation is a signature Custom Art colouration, and I personally enjoy it. But, as with everything, it's all a matter of preference at the end of the day.

Sep 26, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #214 of 749
Thanks a lot for the information! Really appreciated. I think I am certainly sensitive to lower treble which is probably why I feel VX bright especially when the track has certain instruments, and I could easily get fatigued when listening to VX.
I am not too sure if I am too sensitive to upper mid given my limited experience. I do like vocal especially female vocal which is at least 50% out of the whole music I listen to. So I think vocal being brought forward to spotlight is actually what I would want to have. I used to have Oriolus MKII which sort of has similar character and I liked it a lot. However, I do feel I could get fatigued when listening to them for extended period.
In comparison, now I mainly listen to meze rai penta which like it a lot, but at times I do wish they could have more body. However, on the other side I am also worried that having more body may mean easier to cause fatigue? Overall I think I prefer balanced, relaxed, fatigue-free, warm sound with vocal brought slightly forward.
Probably I could only find out after listening to them myself.

Yea, it may be difficult to judge without trying. Body itself shouldn't cause any fatigue. In fact a full-bodied presentation usually means smoother treble, which would typically result in less fatigue or harshness. F7 certainly fits your bill, except for the slight brightness in the upper-mids.

CL2 is a more extreme case. Its upper-mids are even more pronounced and doesn't have sufficient warmth from the bass and lower-mids to counteract the brightness. So it sounds bright and thin. F7 is far from that. Also, like you mentioned, mine is a universal, so it probably is not as smooth as your custom version. Plus, if my estimation is correct, based on our experience with previous IEMs, I believe you are a bit more tolerant of brightness than me.

As Deezel said, there are no specific tracks that cause harshness. Its just that, the intense upper-mids become overwhelming after a while if you are sensitive to that region, and has the tendency to cause fatigue. But since you ask, I will say this; not all vocals sound as intense. For example, John Denver's voice doesn't get as fatiguing as Neil Diamond's voice.

Fatigue brought on by the upper-midrange doesn't manifest itself as harshness really. As @EagleWings said, it's more that the lead instruments can sound a bit too intense at times. Just now, in fact, I was listening to Bruno Mars' 24K Magic on the FIBAE 7 and I noticed the vocals were more in-your-face than I was used to. So, it's not a matter of smoothness or harshness, but a matter of forwardness and saturation. As I said previously, that 2-4kHz elevation is a signature Custom Art colouration, and I personally enjoy it. But, as with everything, it's all a matter of preference at the end of the day.

LCDi4+Cipher Cable also has a similar bump at 2-4kHz, but it doesn't sound as intense. I have actually argued in the past that such a bump is necessary for an IEM/headphone to sound transparent and correct. And the F7 does sound transparent and correct (except for that touch of brightness). In fact it sounds more transparent than my LCDi4. Based on the pattern I have seen, this bump seems to sound a bit intense on closed back IEMs like F7 and Ety ER4S, than on open-back phones. That's just my theory though.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #215 of 749
Thanks for the clarification @Deezel177 good point that fullness and richness I do find intoxicating as far as I am concerned :heart_eyes:

Right now listening to the F7 with AMP8 after doing plenty of AMP9 and AMP1 mk2 listen, and I think this pairing is maybe the best of the 3, the bass is something to behold!

CL2 is a more extreme case. Its upper-mids are even more pronounced and doesn't have sufficient warmth from the bass and lower-mids to counteract the brightness. So it sounds bright and thin. F7 is far from that. Also, like you mentioned, mine is a universal, so it probably is not as smooth as your custom version. Plus, if my estimation is correct, based on our experience with previous IEMs, I believe you are a bit more tolerant of brightness than me. As Deezel said, there are no specific tracks that cause harshness. Its just that, the intense upper-mids become overwhelming after a while if you are sensitive to that region, and has the tendency to cause fatigue. But since you ask, I will say this; not all vocals sound as intense. For example, John Denver's voice doesn't get as fatiguing as Neil Diamond's voice.

Got it, I don’t really dig bright signatures so I was surprised about this but as you say this has to be factored in with the rest of the signature.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #216 of 749
Yea, it may be difficult to judge without trying. Body itself shouldn't cause any fatigue. In fact a full-bodied presentation usually means smoother treble, which would typically result in less fatigue or harshness. F7 certainly fits your bill, except for the slight brightness in the upper-mids.

CL2 is a more extreme case. Its upper-mids are even more pronounced and doesn't have sufficient warmth from the bass and lower-mids to counteract the brightness. So it sounds bright and thin. F7 is far from that. Also, like you mentioned, mine is a universal, so it probably is not as smooth as your custom version. Plus, if my estimation is correct, based on our experience with previous IEMs, I believe you are a bit more tolerant of brightness than me.

As Deezel said, there are no specific tracks that cause harshness. Its just that, the intense upper-mids become overwhelming after a while if you are sensitive to that region, and has the tendency to cause fatigue. But since you ask, I will say this; not all vocals sound as intense. For example, John Denver's voice doesn't get as fatiguing as Neil Diamond's voice.

LCDi4+Cipher Cable also has a similar bump at 2-4kHz, but it doesn't sound as intense. I have actually argued in the past that such a bump is necessary for an IEM/headphone to sound transparent and correct. And the F7 does sound transparent and correct (except for that touch of brightness). In fact it sounds more transparent than my LCDi4. Based on the pattern I have seen, this bump seems to sound a bit intense on closed back IEMs like F7 and Ety ER4S, than on open-back phones. That's just my theory though.

That’s actually really interesting, because the “fatigue” I get from signatures with those elevations usually manifest themselves almost like a lump in my throat. As odd as it my sound, you’ll see me swallowing a lot when listening to those sorts of signatures. Could that region perhaps have something to do with in-ear pressure?

EDIT: Probably not. More likely a psychological oddity on my part than anything. :D

Thanks for the clarification @Deezel177 good point that fullness and richness I do find intoxicating as far as I am concerned :heart_eyes:

Right now listening to the F7 with AMP8 after doing plenty of AMP9 and AMP1 mk2 listen, and I think this pairing is maybe the best of the 3, the bass is something to behold!

Got it, I don’t really dig bright signatures so I was surprised about this but as you say this has to be factored in with the rest of the signature.

Considering FIBAE tech is at play, do you notice less tonal differences than usual with the different modules? So, it’s just technical changes?

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #217 of 749
Considering FIBAE tech is at play, do you notice less tonal differences than usual with the different modules? So, it’s just technical changes?

I don’t think so if I understand correctly FIBAE tech would iron out signature shift due to higher output impedance but all iBasso modules are well under 1ohm OI (0.3 to 0.5 I think) so I don’t think FIBAE tech affects anything here.

There are real differences between AMP1 mk2, AMP9 and AMP8 and with the F7 certainly what I usually hear. I’ll cover this in my source section in the review.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #218 of 749
Finally finished reading the comments, the extra forwardness in the F7 upper midrange gives its an edge with a lively and engaging presentation.
The F7 has bodied yet present vocals which @Deezel177 points out earlier, it is a matter of forwardness & saturation.
I don't think the word "harsh" exists for Custom Art IEMs.

Sep 26, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #219 of 749
So, I hope I am not tresspassing into OT territory BUT...I decided to pick up a used Fibae 3, even though F7 sounds right up my alley.

Why? -well I needed something for late night listening and I have wanted to try a silicone ciem forever, I am a side sleeper so silicone is preferred. And that leaves me with some cash to experiment with cables, maybe give them a warmer sound but I have to try them first (don't put salt on the food that is served before tasting).

I use my silicone plugs from CA almost every night, and I know that they are not the most exciting thing Piotr has come up with but they have really helped me sleep better, both at home and at festivals and so on. So hopefully these F3's can "replace" them, with music as well !

Fibae 7 still looks great and...yeah I'll probably get those too at some point. Luckily Piotr doesn't have to be sorry about our wallets, his prices are very reasonable! Kudos

Sep 27, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #220 of 749
So, I hope I am not tresspassing into OT territory BUT...I decided to pick up a used Fibae 3, even though F7 sounds right up my alley.

Why? -well I needed something for late night listening and I have wanted to try a silicone ciem forever, I am a side sleeper so silicone is preferred. And that leaves me with some cash to experiment with cables, maybe give them a warmer sound but I have to try them first (don't put salt on the food that is served before tasting).

I use my silicone plugs from CA almost every night, and I know that they are not the most exciting thing Piotr has come up with but they have really helped me sleep better, both at home and at festivals and so on. So hopefully these F3's can "replace" them, with music as well !

Fibae 7 still looks great and...yeah I'll probably get those too at some point. Luckily Piotr doesn't have to be sorry about our wallets, his prices are very reasonable! Kudos
That's a great IEM too. Honestly, speaking from experience, from the Music One till now, one cannot go wrong with any Custom Art IEMs. :p

Sep 28, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #221 of 749
@jackyzhu the F7 is very natural sounding -- I wouldn't say that it is bright per say even though there is a hint of brightness (absolutely no sibilance nor does it sound piercing) in the notes in the midrange. There is absolutely no veil so the sound is opened. The extent of brightness, I would say, is similar to the andromeda (and I do not consider the andro bright) although the extension is much better in the treble region. My F7 is reshelled and is now custom and I do hear the presence of the highest of highs better than when is was universal (again, no sibilance to be detected here).
Might clarity or airy be better adjectives than bright? Unfortunately bright sometimes equals to sharp and fatiguing, especially if there is any little spike in the mid treble regions. I haven't seen anyone write that about the F7. I haven't heard the F7 but hope to so I can add to the thoughts.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #222 of 749
Might clarity or airy be better adjectives than bright? Unfortunately bright sometimes equals to sharp and fatiguing, especially if there is and little spike in the mid treble regions. I haven't seen anyone write that about the F7. I haven't heard the f7 but hope to so I can add to the thoughts.

I definitely agree there about clarity for the F7 rather than brightness, right word. I wouldn’t say the F7 is airy either, given how full sounding and bodied it is i does have great separation but not airy in my book.

FIBAE7 and EM64, those are going to have their own comparison section in the F7 review :)

0E4423DA-BAC8-421B-B1D4-68FFFD46D96B.jpeg

Phantom are coming up next in my A/B sessions

A17A8747-F6C1-47C1-AD1B-5B5756FAA979.jpeg

Edit : I can’t take the FIBAE7 off my ears... this is the most romantic IEM I have ever owned, so beautifully mesmerizing... Listening to The Hot Sardines « Come Love (l’amour s’en fout) » yummy!

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #223 of 749
I definitely agree there about clarity for the F7 rather than brightness, right word. I wouldn’t say the F7 is airy either, given how full sounding and bodied it is i does have great separation but not airy in my book.

FIBAE7 and EM64, those are going to have their own comparison section in the F7 review :)

Phantom are coming up next in my A/B sessions

Edit : I can’t take the FIBAE7 off my ears... this is the most romantic IEM I have ever owned, so beautifully mesmerizing... Listening to The Hot Sardines « Come Love (l’amour s’en fout) » yummy!
The FIBAE 7 is just too addictive. You have really created a masterpiece @piotrus-g !

Sep 28, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #224 of 749
Had the FIBAE 7 for about 2 weeks but didn't want to comment OOTB.

Coming from FIBAE Black to FIBAE 7

Where's the warmth?

Tried the heavyweight Leonidas II cable with Sony WM1A. Sounds incredibly clear, but too lean on first listen. I need some more fullness.

Switched up cable to Ares II 8-wire.
20190922_115053_HDR.jpg

Achieved more warmth, but the clarity is hard to adjust to here. The 7 seems to not hide anything from recordings.

A little help from Cowon
20190928_130819_HDR.jpg

Threw as much warmth as I could at the 7 with Plenue M2(w/Ares II 8-Wire). Bounced around the Jet Effect 7 presets and found the X-BASS preset fit my preference.

What amazes about the Fibae 7 is how it takes all that bass and then some and still remains controlled. Maybe I'm just not use to this level of imaging, separation, and bass speed. Fibae 7 seems to handle any song well with this combo. Vocals shine with more clarity than the Andro while the treble never feels out of place. Mid and sub bass hit hard when it needs to. What I like best so far is low volume listening with no loss of detail.

Sep 28, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #225 of 749

As I just get the right cable for balanced plugs I started to switch between Amp 4s and 8 with DX220. First impressions are the latter has more oomph with bass whereas 4s adds something to the medium that makes them more vivid.

Had the FIBAE 7 for about 2 weeks but didn't want to comment OOTB.

Coming from FIBAE Black to FIBAE 7
Where's the warmth?
Tried the heavyweight Leonidas II cable with Sony WM1A. Sounds incredibly clear, but too lean on first listen. I need some more fullness.
Switched up cable to Ares II 8-wire.

Achieved more warmth, but the clarity is hard to adjust to here. The 7 seems to not hide anything from recordings.
A little help from Cowon

Threw as much warmth as I could at the 7 with Plenue M2(w/Ares II 8-Wire). Bounced around the Jet Effect 7 presets and found the X-BASS preset fit my preference.

Dunu Hulk is really helping getting more body to the sound. I feel that it tames highs a little bit too (it's a bit disappointing as they are not harsh at all).

I have Fibae 7 for one month and I really enjoy the tuning, à fair balanced signature with tremenoud non-sibilant highs that makes them ideal for acoustic and classical music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back