Custom Art FIBAE 4 announcement
May 28, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #256 of 338
Arrived this morning and embarrassingly I quoted my order wrong. I was convinced I had ordered full black but I hadn't, they are black faceplate with clear body which once I seen them I knew I had made a mistake I'm my earlier posts so sorry to @piotrus-g

Amazing build quality and sound so far from the the DX220 is excellent. Fit is amazing.

20190528_183214.jpg

May 28, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #257 of 338
Wow your left ear at least looks more like a universal! Guessing you are finding them a step up from the minervas? :p

May 28, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #258 of 338
Wow your left ear at least looks more like a universal! Guessing you are finding them a step up from the minervas? :p

Had a wee listen to Minerva's over the last few weeks, yep these are a definite step up!

May 28, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #259 of 338
Mine have arrived as well! They came in over the weekend and I am finally getting a chance to really listen to them in the office today, they're my first customs and I am VERY impressed by both the comfort and the sound.
I'll come back with more detailed impressions once I've gotten to know them a bit better! :ksc75smile:

20190528_114723.jpg
(bonus points to anyone that recognizes both graphics!)

May 28, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #261 of 338
20190528_223640.jpg
20190528_223625.jpg

Must have been a funny angle when I took the pic.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #264 of 338
Very very different IEMs, FIBAE Black is darker, more relaxed and smoothed out, F7 is more neutral, more sub-bass heavy and highs presence is increased by a lot, it's much brighter signature.

And compared with the FIBAE 4 ?

@piotrus-g :)

Jun 3, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #265 of 338
And compared with the FIBAE 4 ?

@piotrus-g :)
Definitely much less bass quantity especially in mid-bass, the mids are much more forward and highs are more resolving and detailed. The bass on F4 is always present, while F7 only jumps in when needed but when it does... it definitely can surprise :) Vocals are on brighter side in F7. The headroom on F4 is marginally bit larger giving it first impression of bigger/bolder sound, but the dynamics on F7 compensate for it, soundstage is also more sorted out in F7 too. So while F4 attacks with a "wall of sound" kind of feeling all the time, F7 puts each sound in its own space and then the wall of sound slowly builds up which means in smooth slow songs you feel a lot of free space, but the moment you switch to some more popular or heavy genre you are immediately met with this big-sound feel.

Jun 3, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #266 of 338
Definitely much less bass quantity especially in mid-bass, the mids are much more forward and highs are more resolving and detailed. The bass on F4 is always present, while F7 only jumps in when needed but when it does... it definitely can surprise :) Vocals are on brighter side in F7. The headroom on F4 is marginally bit larger giving it first impression of bigger/bolder sound, but the dynamics on F7 compensate for it, soundstage is also more sorted out in F7 too. So while F4 attacks with a "wall of sound" kind of feeling all the time, F7 puts each sound in its own space and then the wall of sound slowly builds up which means in smooth slow songs you feel a lot of free space, but the moment you switch to some more popular or heavy genre you are immediately met with this big-sound feel.

Out of curiosity: is there a reason that the F7 and the Black announcements included a frequency response graph, but the F4 announcement did not?

Jun 3, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #268 of 338

Thanks for the detailed answer, I think I have an idea of the F7 signature (fr graph don't really speak to me).
Now the only real question is the "brighter side" aspect, would I be right to expect that even a brighter Custom Art IEM (that 7/8Khz peak) is still smooth as in no sibilance, not agressive ?
Also, given the graph, would you say it's full sounding?

Jun 3, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #269 of 338
Now the only real question is the "brighter side" aspect, would I be right to expect that even a brighter Custom Art IEM (that 7/8Khz peak) is still smooth as in no sibilance, not agressive ?
I think it's not a sibilant IEM. My ears are fairly sensitive to sibilance and I don't particularly hear it with F7. The brightness level is comparable to this of U18t. It doesn't sound as full as F4 which has bigger bass and thicker mids. But it's not lacking body. I think it's just balanced.

Jun 3, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #270 of 338
I think it's not a sibilant IEM. My ears are fairly sensitive to sibilance and I don't particularly hear it with F7. The brightness level is comparable to this of U18t. It doesn't sound as full as F4 which has bigger bass and thicker mids. But it's not lacking body. I think it's just balanced.

Thanks for the additional input, and comparison to U18t since I have had a significant audition of those I think I have a picture of how the F7 sounds... pretty enticing proposition! This time even if it takes more time building, I’ll stay away from a plain design, faceplate wise because 3D printing fits so good both Black and F4 are the best fitting CIEMs I own :D

I was pretty sure no harshness or sibilance, given you house sound but just confirming, my wallet might not thank you when it’s back flush but... that’s the story of those who fell down that rabbit hole... need to finish my FIBAE4 review anyway :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back