Custom Art FIBAE 4 announcement
Apr 19, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #181 of 338
Thanks for the review, can't wait to get mine. Do you have any other higher end IEMs to compare with? Can you confirm a V-shaped signature or how would you characterize it?

As I mentioned I have Fibae3, Ei.3 (these are V shaped, and there’s a huge quality jump from these to F4), and I’ve had Fibae2. Other than that I have B&O H6 headphones, which at least for me are something between F2 and F3 (quite neutral with plenty of details and a bit of good bass), but I prefer Fibae CIEMs rather than headphones.

When it comes to Fibae4 characteristics – they are more \___/ shaped rather than V shaped. This is something that Piotr has told me around the premiere and I think this is the perfect description of Fibae 4 There is quite a lot of bass and sub bass etc. everything is rounded, rich, and present. You can’t forget the bass, because it constantly gets your attention. It’s not in the first scene (at least for me) and it’s doesn’t cover the other instruments; it’s a good background that gives a perfect “rhythmic layout” for the good song. It’s not an Ali G “umc umc umc” type of sound as well. It’s basically well rounded/tuned bass, that you want to appreciate, because rarely can you hear that well tuned sound (in the most of my musical experiences when it comes to concerts / cinemas etc. – it’s either too much of this or too little of that).

Mids for me are a bit further in the scene, especially when it comes to the vocals, so it’s kind of a cosy-concert type of vibe. I haven’t spent that much time comparing F4 with F3, frankly I focused mainly on F4 during last 24 hours, so I need more time to have a better opinion on that. Though the mids are not the main topic (as they IMHO are with highs in F3) they are really well balanced and clear. As I mentioned I have Ei.3 which are a bit foggy (?) when it comes to vocals and that difference is really noticeable between them and F4.

Highs are great, these are not as technical as Fibae3 (which I like in them, because these neutrality / technicality aspects make them different and it’s great type of sound especially with artists like Moderat, Trentemoller etc.), but trebles in F4 are really there detailed and clear (but not harsh) – basically fun to listen to.

To sum up, I think that the best description for Fibae 4 is the one that Piotr told me - “it’s a good balance between F2 and F3, with a class of sound from Harmony 8.2”. To be honest, I think that the graphs from TheCustomArt website are describing each model quite good in all terms (quantity, quality, resolution, headroom and others characteristics). I have been able to compare a few of models and all the metrics are really well thought.

The only caveat that I see right now is the waiting time (10 weeks for me). I think some kind of live updated spreadsheet or any other type of personal-ID-script (with well counted deadlines that don’t change that much and that often) would work like a charm in this type of orders. Although the support is really awesome and they always replied within less than hour (when writing during the working day), sometimes I felt not that comfortable asking once again for the update on the delivery date. It’s not a big minus per se, but I think that this is an important experience, that a friend of mine (that I recommended Custom Art to) shared with me, and changing that for a positive one would make the whole waiting process much better.

When it comes to the photos – I will post them after the weekend, when I get back to my apartment. I got solid blacks, which look great with a new silver-plated cable (which I like the best comparing to all the previous that I got). The seal is really great, presumably these are 3d printed and I think that it was a great choice for me. The CIEMs disappear in a moment in the ears and although all the previous models that I have (F3 and Ei.3 and ex-F2) have been good as well, these are just the most comfortable ones. If this is true that solid blacks are all 3d printed, and if I have the opportunity ($$$) to buy any other model in the future, I will take 3d printed for 100%. The custom designs are beautiful, but after sensing this kind of comfort, there’s no coming back for me.

Apr 20, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #182 of 338
I think the unexpected popularity of the blacks, combined with the pre-orders of the 4's and a few snags they hit along the way is what has led to the longer than usual wait times for CA products right now. On the subject of 3-d printing this is what Piotr said to me when I asked :- "Black shells only, but any sorts of faceplates or logos are possible". I agree about the 3-d printing bit. Nice though the designs are for me it's always been about the sound, and once you have them in your ears you can't see them anyway!

Apr 20, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #183 of 338
As I mentioned I have Fibae3, Ei.3 (these are V shaped, and there’s a huge quality jump from these to F4), and I’ve had Fibae2. Other than that I have B&O H6 headphones, which at least for me are something between F2 and F3 (quite neutral with plenty of details and a bit of good bass), but I prefer Fibae CIEMs rather than headphones.

When it comes to Fibae4 characteristics – they are more \___/ shaped rather than V shaped. This is something that Piotr has told me around the premiere and I think this is the perfect description of Fibae 4 There is quite a lot of bass and sub bass etc. everything is rounded, rich, and present. You can’t forget the bass, because it constantly gets your attention. It’s not in the first scene (at least for me) and it’s doesn’t cover the other instruments; it’s a good background that gives a perfect “rhythmic layout” for the good song. It’s not an Ali G “umc umc umc” type of sound as well. It’s basically well rounded/tuned bass, that you want to appreciate, because rarely can you hear that well tuned sound (in the most of my musical experiences when it comes to concerts / cinemas etc. – it’s either too much of this or too little of that).

Mids for me are a bit further in the scene, especially when it comes to the vocals, so it’s kind of a cosy-concert type of vibe. I haven’t spent that much time comparing F4 with F3, frankly I focused mainly on F4 during last 24 hours, so I need more time to have a better opinion on that. Though the mids are not the main topic (as they IMHO are with highs in F3) they are really well balanced and clear. As I mentioned I have Ei.3 which are a bit foggy (?) when it comes to vocals and that difference is really noticeable between them and F4.

Highs are great, these are not as technical as Fibae3 (which I like in them, because these neutrality / technicality aspects make them different and it’s great type of sound especially with artists like Moderat, Trentemoller etc.), but trebles in F4 are really there detailed and clear (but not harsh) – basically fun to listen to.

To sum up, I think that the best description for Fibae 4 is the one that Piotr told me - “it’s a good balance between F2 and F3, with a class of sound from Harmony 8.2”. To be honest, I think that the graphs from TheCustomArt website are describing each model quite good in all terms (quantity, quality, resolution, headroom and others characteristics). I have been able to compare a few of models and all the metrics are really well thought.

The only caveat that I see right now is the waiting time (10 weeks for me). I think some kind of live updated spreadsheet or any other type of personal-ID-script (with well counted deadlines that don’t change that much and that often) would work like a charm in this type of orders. Although the support is really awesome and they always replied within less than hour (when writing during the working day), sometimes I felt not that comfortable asking once again for the update on the delivery date. It’s not a big minus per se, but I think that this is an important experience, that a friend of mine (that I recommended Custom Art to) shared with me, and changing that for a positive one would make the whole waiting process much better.

When it comes to the photos – I will post them after the weekend, when I get back to my apartment. I got solid blacks, which look great with a new silver-plated cable (which I like the best comparing to all the previous that I got). The seal is really great, presumably these are 3d printed and I think that it was a great choice for me. The CIEMs disappear in a moment in the ears and although all the previous models that I have (F3 and Ei.3 and ex-F2) have been good as well, these are just the most comfortable ones. If this is true that solid blacks are all 3d printed, and if I have the opportunity ($$$) to buy any other model in the future, I will take 3d printed for 100%. The custom designs are beautiful, but after sensing this kind of comfort, there’s no coming back for me.
Really appreciate your detailed response! Thanks.
I also went for 3d printed shell, now my anticipation is even higher!
I have ordered with headset cable but probably will invest into high quality silver 2pin cable in the future.

Different topic/question.
I would be interested if FIBAE technology changes somehow cable impact? I assume full chain is what influences sound but would be good to have a "scientific" comment from Piotr to eliminate any placebo or woodoo discussions.

Apr 25, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #184 of 338
I would be interested if FIBAE technology changes somehow cable impact? I assume full chain is what influences sound but would be good to have a "scientific" comment from Piotr to eliminate any placebo or woodoo discussions.
Generally speaking yes, to some extent cables do impact sound in FIBAE IEMs, especially the lower models - like FIBAE1 or Black where there's only one driver and it has the lowest impedance. I did a bit of measurements and discussion on this in general FIBAE thread.

Apr 25, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #186 of 338
My FIBAE 4 have shipped, thanks @piotrus-g !
I might just get them in time for the Paris meetup at @popof94 place on Saturday :D

Apr 25, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #187 of 338
Looking forward to your impressions, @davidmolliere it seems we have similar tastes in gear. With that said, looks like mine might arrive tomorrow (but my office is closed, so I will be waiting until Monday.)

Apr 25, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #188 of 338
Checking my mailbox constantly now... I think a lot of users in this thread ordered around same timeframe so mine should be shipping soon too. It was also confirmed for end of April by the CA team.

Apr 25, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #189 of 338
My FIBAE 4 have shipped, thanks @piotrus-g !
I might just get them in time for the Paris meetup at @popof94 place on Saturday :D
Just hope that Custom Art didn't have another order for the 4's with your same initials after what happened the last time you ordered a set of ciems from someone :)

Apr 25, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #191 of 338
Just hope that Custom Art didn't have another order for the 4's with your same initials after what happened the last time you ordered a set of ciems from someone :)

No chance, I am not worried :wink:

Apr 26, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #193 of 338
And I can confirm there's no one's order with MD or DM initials shipped at the same time haha :D

Yeah I can confirm I received them and the fit is great, very similar to my EM64 and interestingly a little less tight than the Black actually...

First impression out of the box... the F4 are fun and smooth if I had to sum it up!

Soundstage is quite expansive, sub bass extension is very very good and there is plenty of detail there as well as good textures. Given the sub and lower bass presence, mid bass has wisely been tuned to be accurate rather than more playful (like the Black can be).

Same goes for the lower mids, which I find quite lean (don’t misread as recessed which they’re not by any means). Vocals are very articulate and prominent in the mix, and very enjoyable. Overall I found the mids more on the neutral side with a fairly accurate tone, and quite articulate I think the upper mids have struck a very nice balance here.

Treble are very well extended, upper treble provide a lot of air and detail retrieval is high, but lower treble is more “conservative” a tad more would have made the F4 more playful but also more potentially more fatiguing (although the Solaris managed to do that without being fatiguing). I have just a couple of hours on them so those are very rough impressions but I have a feeling I could listen to the F4 for hours and have “fatigue free fun” so to speak. A very interesting combination, which I think is not that common.

Overall attack is smooth, which contribute to the overall fatigue free experience, but some might find themselves wishing for more bite (or maybe I am skewed by listening to countless hours to the EM64 before giving the F4 their first listening session :p).

I need more time with them, but first this week-end I’ll finish my most overdue FIBAE Black review!

Edit : Above impressions are with the stock cable... I just plugged PW 1960 4 wires to the F4 and let me just say, each time I use this cable I wonder what kind of black magic Peter Wong did with that cable... I’ll have further impressions to provide but this takes the F4 to a whole new level which can instantly be heard... :gs1000smile: The refinement is just not on the same plane field, not that the stock cable is bad by any means btw...

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #195 of 338
what cable did you guys opt for I originally had 2-pin recessed but just changed it to MMCX since it appears to be more easy available..
I don't plan on using any super audio cables but do plan to upgrade cable as some point....

i.e manufacturers like fiio appear to be doing well priced silver MMCX audio cables...
wondering if this was the right discussion ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back