Current headphones just don't sound good enough. I want to get into real high end audio and I have no idea where to start?
Jan 8, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #17 of 22
Install RockBox. Sure, you lose in-line controls, iPod click wheel controls and iPod dock support, but you'll get folders!

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #18 of 22
Theres also the super commonly used foobar2000 program for free. runs pretty light on the computer, and with a little inital set up time to get it looking and working how you like, it basically will then function like a much better itunes. even has a plugin download to make it work with your ipod like itunes. have it monitor a folder that you would keep all your music files in, and thats all. It can also rip cds, do conversions, play most if not all codec types, etc.

and all the other suggestions in this thread are great too, and those DAPs work with foobar too. Id say to feel like you have awesome sound, without feeling like its just eh, go for mid range headphones. Like i first had beyerdynamic dt990 in the 32 ohm version so it would work well with my ipod, it was like 280-350ish dollars I think? just plug straight into ipod or computer with the above set up. then I went for denon d5000, now discontinued without a equivalent replacement really. got it for like 480. prob much more now cause of the rarity. same plugged straight into source. Maybe throw in a portable amp in the 100 dollar or less range if you want. but really with those level headphones and that source set up, you should definitely feel like music sounds pretty awesome, compared to your current set up. I only got high end LCD 2's and an burson amp and schiit DAC after like 4 years on the above set up. so its pretty solid.

just dont hang around headfi for too long unless your wallet is bursting with spare cash lol. make sure you learn to hear where the diminishing returns begin, and how much you care about those last few specks of quality :wink:

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #19 of 22
  just dont hang around headfi for too long unless your wallet is bursting with spare cash lol. make sure you learn to hear where the diminishing returns begin, and how much you care about those last few specks of quality :wink:

This should be pinned and sent in a msg to every new member immdeaitely on joining Head-fi. Actually, there should be T-Shirts made and given away for free to anyone who signs up here.

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #20 of 22
I'll probably be getting a new computer soon anyways. Mine has pretty much stopped working completley. I have a ton of viruses. Plus it's my birthday soon. And I've got some Christmas cash saved up.. I'll probably invest in some Grado's for now since they work well with an iPod and wait for my income tax to spend anymore.

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #21 of 22
I'll probably be getting a new computer soon anyways. Mine has pretty much stopped working completley. I have a ton of viruses. Plus it's my birthday soon. And I've got some Christmas cash saved up.. I'll probably invest in some Grado's for now since they work well with an iPod and wait for my income tax to spend anymore.
Why not just reformat your computer? It will be as good as new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back