Curious Cables USB
Feb 21, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #31 of 80
Just a very quick update.

I asked the dealer to resend the Chord Sarum back to me so I could test alongside the Curious Cable the Nordorst and the standard Dave cable.

I have to say the winner was the Sarum with a very very close second the Curious followed by the others not so close.

I would expect some to say the Curious could be the winner and the Sarum a close second it was that close.

I did a double blind test with myself and one other person ( who is not a HIFI enthusiast ) we both came to the same conclusion.

For the price Curious Cable, but I prefer the Sarum.

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #32 of 80
Just a very quick update.

I asked the dealer to resend the Chord Sarum back to me so I could test alongside the Curious Cable the Nordorst and the standard Dave cable.

I have to say the winner was the Sarum with a very very close second the Curious followed by the others not so close.

I would expect some to say the Curious could be the winner and the Sarum a close second it was that close.

I did a double blind test with myself and one other person ( who is not a HIFI enthusiast ) we both came to the same conclusion.

For the price Curious Cable, but I prefer the Sarum.

Thanks for the update. As for me, I don't see myself buying another USB cables in the near or very far future. I think I have a winner in the Curious Cable, as your A/B seems to demonstrate to your personal tastes.

But hell, what do I know? I thought that the cable that came with the DAVE was pretty damn good in its own right, beating out every other USB cable I had sitting around the house, including some Audioquest ones.

What the Curious Cable did for me was to make the sound ever so slightly fuller, without any coloration that I could detect.

It's pretty cool that you went the extra mile with your tests.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #33 of 80
Thanks for the update. As for me, I don't see myself buying another USB cables in the near or very far future. I think I have a winner in the Curious Cable, as your A/B seems to demonstrate to your personal tastes.

But hell, what do I know? I thought that the cable that came with the DAVE was pretty damn good in its own right, beating out every other USB cable I had sitting around the house, including some Audioquest ones.

What the Curious Cable did for me was to make the sound ever so slightly fuller, without any coloration that I could detect.

It's pretty cool that you went the extra mile with your tests.

I did the tests to see how much more could be gained on the Dave with different cables as at one point the LCD4 were too soft with the Nordorst, well for me that is.

Yes I agree with your findings on the Curious, the person that helped me said the same, also quoted "More Rich" but sorry to say the Sarum went that little bit extra.

Now over on the Dave thread Rob Watts has tried Dave with various USB cables and was unable to reliably detect a difference between USB leads which I find very interesting.

I do not doubt his findings and wondered if my changes in cable are being affected  RF or some interference as suggested by Rob, certainly on headphones with Dave the difference is smaller than on my HiFi.

I did move the birds nest of power wires that were mixed up with the interconnects and speaker wire ( made a small difference ) in the HiFi system, in a rural area.

It does not explain when I used headphones I still can tell the difference in USB leads.

Perhaps more interference as I am in a highly populated area, for example there are 26 WiFi networks close by and I am in central London very high up, multiple flats and buildings around as the Dave LCD4 is not located in the rural area ( 2nd Home ).? and the more shielded cables make the difference...?

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #35 of 80

I think you use one when your USB port is not power full enough to power a connected peripheral
so takes the power from two USB ports instead of one.

So I think two power, one of which has a data channel..?

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #36 of 80
Can anyone here tell me what the dual head usb cable (separate power and data) does better than a standard USB cable?

According to iFi:

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-gemini/

I had one once, and it worked really well. I simply no longer plug into a laptop to use it.

Feb 21, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #37 of 80
According to iFi:

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-gemini/

I had one once, and it worked really well. I simply no longer plug into a laptop to use it.

Thanks for the reply, I have recently used the ifi iUSB and was wondering if it is worth the extra to get a dual head cable. They are quite expensive IMO but I've tracked down one that is more affordable than the Gemini. I'm still not sure if I should get one.

Mar 24, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #39 of 80
I was a headphone guy in the history then switched to hifi. Some time passed and I settled for raspberry pi and volumio is my small listening room. Now I am using a NUC and external harddrive as a source. No dac and amp is Topping tp22.

Even the Audioquest Forest usb 3.0 cable made a small upgrade in SQ, will Curious equavalent of that cable work wonders in terms of SQ?

Apr 7, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #41 of 80
Just keeping this thread alive... love my Curious Cables. I have a 2.0m + UpTone REGEN + link at home and at the office, I added a set to connect my iFI iUSB 3.0 Nano to my Sony PHA-3.

BTW, I was surprised how much the iUSB 3.0 improved the Sony PHA-3 and had the bonus of providing a separate USB 5v charge out with clean power:

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #42 of 80
I bought a Curious USB 280mm Hugo Link. It runs from my Sonore microRendu to the Hugo.

Synology DS116 NAS > Intel NUC7i7BNH Mini PC (Roon Core) > Sonore microRendu > Curious USB 280mm Hugo Link > Chord Hugo > Senn HD 800 S or Senn IE800 or JH Audio Roxanne's

I'm happy with the cable. Sounds much better than my Moon Audio Blue USB Cable or any other USB cable that I have. The changes I hear are consistent with Rob Woodland's discussion on his site. Expensive, but glad I bought it.

I really like how the Senn's sound with the Hugo Link. The Senn IE800's really sing, even the treble.

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #44 of 80
What materials do they use ? A quality of authentic quality materials will bring about improvements. I just wonder as I have many different USB cables under my belt

It's more than the cable material; I have some of these and if you feel along the cable, there are what feels like ferrite beads spaced along the cable under the covering/sleeve.

I know it's heresy to think a USB cable makes a difference, but I'm impressed and I can't explain what makes these cables do what they do.

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #45 of 80
It's more than the cable material; I have some of these and if you feel along the cable, there are what feels like ferrite beads spaced along the cable under the covering/sleeve.

I know it's heresy to think a USB cable makes a difference, but I'm impressed and I can't explain what makes these cables do what they do.

I am only curious aobut the materials :) as I make them too, so I do know a lot about them. Just don't know what curious cables make them out of

Users who are viewing this thread

Back