Crossfeed software?
Dec 29, 2011 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Virtuoso80

New Head-Fier
I was preparing to create a DIY crossfeed circuit for my headphone listening, when I suddenly had an, "oh, duh" moment: If I usually listen through my computer anyway, why not emulate the acoustics in software instead of hardware? A quick google search reveled there are indeed options along those lines, but I figured I'd ask here anyway: What is the best, and cheapest (ideally, free) options for crossfeed software?

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 51
Certainly not cheapest - but I really like Redline's Monitor plugin (AU or VST) - works with most systems in one way or another (Foobar on the PC, or Audio Hijack Pro on the Mac)

Canz3D also comes highly recommended. 

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #3 of 51
Just downloaded foobar + the DSP crossfeed add-on. I already like the effect. How much difference is there between this and the options you mentioned?

Also...how does this software match up with a hardware solution?

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 51
I don't know. I do not use foobar or the dsp add-on (and am on a mac, so i can't try it for comparison). But glad you are liking what you are hearing. :)

I prefer a software crossfeed over basic hardware options (more customizable, if I am using a computer as source). Hardware does have advantages if you are not using a computer, and the more well realized (Phonitor) solutions match the flexibility of software, but at a significant price bump. 

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #7 of 51

Quote:
does the crossfeed dsp work with speakers?

Yes, but it wouldn't have much point, since it is designed to allow headphones to emulate speakers. 

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 51

Quote:

I can definitely recommend Tone Boosters Isone.  It has completely revolutionized headphone listening for me. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #11 of 51
Sorry for such a newbylike question, but...
...are all crossfeed software plug-ins of other applications, or is there a stand-alone crossfeed software that works on whatever you're playing through the PC soundcard? 
blink.gif

Oct 19, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #13 of 51
Quote:
Certainly not cheapest - but I really like Redline's Monitor plugin (AU or VST) - works with most systems in one way or another (Foobar on the PC, or Audio Hijack Pro on the Mac)

Canz3D also comes highly recommended. 

Redline looks very nice. 

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #14 of 51
What is a simple plugin for foobar or whatever that just is a one click install and you don´t have to change 50 settings and what not that just confuse things? naive software and some bs2b I found here I got to work http://www.headphiles.org/index.php?t=msg&th=528&start=0&

head-fit I installed but I don´t understand how you activate it and what software you use to start it?
Tonebooster I don´t understand how you use either nor the other plugins mentioned.

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #15 of 51

Users who are viewing this thread

Back