Critical "darlings" and over-rated artists you just can't stand....
Oct 18, 2002 at 8:05 PM Post #61 of 66
Quote:

To me Dylan is really a cartoonish figure. I think of him in a similar way that you think of Elvis. Another person that meant a lot to a lot of people, and judging by the crowds at Graceland still means something to a lot of people.

I think scottpaul_iu has illustrated the main reason many older acts can still maintain large followings. The music of certain artists, whether it's Sinatra, Elvis, Dylan, Rolling Stones, Kiss or almost every popular artist since, takes certain people back to a time and place fondly remembered....their youth.

It's difficult to describe, but when I'm with old friend's who go back 20, 30, 35 years, I somehow unconciously look past their wrinkled old faces, their bald heads and beer-guts, and still see and hear the teenagers I used to know. Don't get me wrong, plenty of reality checks come up, but to me, they're still and always will be the same people I first met long ago.

I think the same thing often applies to one's perception of actors and musicians.

Another reason that some don't get it is that ....you had to be there. Many of these old geezer acts don't make sense decades later, with tons of modern competition, and way out of their element to younger listeners.

These old acts were true pioneers. Cutting edge for their time. A garage band made up of 12 year olds can outplay Bill Haley and the Comets or Grand Funk Railroad these days, but way back when, these acts didn't have much competition, could really draw a crowd, and sold lots of records. They may by today's standards sound like rank amateurs, but to some people they were, and still are, superstars. ( not to me however )

Oct 20, 2002 at 10:52 AM Post #63 of 66
noone mentioned rage against the machine.

its music not a god damned college campus picket rally.

oh and mark for the record i like your threads but for your initial post i no longer feel any regret bagging green day. green day sucks. (no offense. damn i'm really going overboard tonight)

overrated:
radiohead. okay i finally listened to kid a and its good for a while but while every 15-18 year old is bound to liking dave, must every 17-21 year old ride radiohead's jock all day long? college is for forming your own opinion kids, not embracing a new someone elses.

and while i'm hating, i know that they'll be old news tomorrow but EVERYTHING that was spawned out of limp fruitcakes, ALL "punk" that was released after my 5th birthday, and whatever mtv is pushing these days. thank god i don't have a tv. if i have to listen to another "xxx" commercial i'm going to crap my pants.

also i agree u2 is overrated. their foreign, not demigods. i know its easy to misunderstand but its been like 20 years people...

wow that was fun. i gave up being bitter for no reason some time ago, but it never really got old.

oh and most under(rated?) poster: scrypt. **** man, you wouldn't happen to have any published material or a personal web page i could read when i'm bored? pure gold i say...

Oct 20, 2002 at 8:13 PM Post #64 of 66
Which I haven't seen/don't remember seeing...

Nirvana
REM

Their music was ok, and I liked some of their songs, but nothing special...certainly couldn't sing, and didn't truly rock mah fro (and no need to mention good songs here and there).

The reason why I mention them is because I think they were lauded by the press...if not, then, don't mind me.

Not like it matters...no one really needs a reason to complain, we're born with the urge.

Oct 21, 2002 at 5:33 PM Post #65 of 66
I suppose I won't be contributing to this thread in the same vitriolic fashion any more because I seem to have misunderstood the intent. I took the title and opening post to imply that this was a nothing's-sacred list where one could go off on revered musicians for the fun of it. I wasn't factoring in the idea that anyone would be offended because the premise is satirical to begin with. For example: I happen to love playing and listening to classical music. If someone here had written a foaming rant about how they hated J.S. Bach and why he was the most pompous useless composer in the world, or why Mahler was a despondent weepy-eyed pansy, I'd have loved it. How fragile are people's tastes, anyway? Didn't we all get to this place because of our fanatical interest in music? That being said, how easily are we made to feel discouraged? To paraphrase Popeye, my years are my years. You'd have to beat me with a national monument to get me to change direction (musically shrieking).

But kudos to the Taffy Guy for his astute dozen's playing on Rage against the Machine. That's the kind of comment that made me want to post on this thread in the first place. I, too, have always felt RatM's lyrical content to be a wee tad literal-minded. (WASP translation of content: "The rich have a whole lot of power while the poor have hardly any at all! Why, that's just not right!")

Oct 22, 2002 at 12:30 AM Post #66 of 66
Not at all. It's all about discussion. Surely someone with your strongly held opinions can handle some discussion of those same opinions?
tongue.gif

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back