crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Nov 2, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #1,188 of 3,338
It's out of production so I emailed the IMR guy about the new model. Hasn't replied in 2 weeks so if he doesn't care then neither will I.

There are still some A- grade units on the web for £275.00 GBP:

https://imracoustics.com/products/imr-r1-b-stock

I tried them today with a friend and I can assure that they SMASH both my Massdrop Plus and IE800 technically wise and even for a sonical standpoint (soundstage, bass quality & quantity, highs extension while not being harsh, speed and overall resolution).

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #1,189 of 3,338
There are still some A- grade units on the web for £275.00 GBP:

https://imracoustics.com/products/imr-r1-b-stock

I tried them today with a friend and I can assure that they SMASH both my Massdrop Plus and IE800 technically wise and even for a sonical standpoint (soundstage, bass quality & quantity, highs extension while not being harsh, speed and overall resolution).

Appreciate the heads up. Unfortunately I have a staunch policy of not buying what I haven't tried. I'll see if I can find any R1 owners in a few weeks.

Nov 4, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #1,191 of 3,338
I'm a bit interested in the Moondrop Blessing, but not the price (around $500 or so). It hits the Harman IE Target, and wondering if it fits my preference. I thought this was interesting. They got the 2x, one outlet BA customized for mid-high, and it was pretty much on Harmon Target.

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/Moon...alance-armadura-1DD-4BA-HiFi/32888907175.html

Not off the shelf Sonion or Knowels, or do iem designers get the BA customized from Knowles or Sonion now a days?

ORx304A.jpg

HTB1MrLSqndYBeNkSmLyq6xfnVXa2.jpg

hm.png

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #1,192 of 3,338
I'm a bit interested in the Moondrop Blessing, but not the price (around $500 or so). It hits the Harman IE Target, and wondering if it fits my preference. I thought this was interesting. They got the 2x, one outlet BA customized for mid-high, and it was pretty much on Harmon Target.

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/Moon...alance-armadura-1DD-4BA-HiFi/32888907175.html

Not off the shelf Sonion or Knowels, or do iem designers get the BA customized from Knowles or Sonion now a days?

I didn’t love the fit of the Blessing (wrong tips maybe?), but measurement wise, it’s pretty spot on. Someone got his unit tested on some AP gear at a recent audio show (BSK2018), and other than the 8k peak, it matches the Harman target. (The guy doing the measurements seemed pretty impressed)

Nov 4, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #1,193 of 3,338
I didn’t love the fit of the Blessing (wrong tips maybe?), but measurement wise, it’s pretty spot on. Someone got his unit tested on some AP gear at a recent audio show (BSK2018), and other than the 8k peak, it matches the Harman target. (The guy doing the measurements seemed pretty impressed)
It does look impressive in terms of being so close to Harman. I don't know if there is anything out there that gets that close.

I've looked at various Prophile-8 measurements and they differ in some ways. I'm wondering if Moondrop Blessing measurements are more consistent.

Nov 4, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #1,194 of 3,338
It does look impressive in terms of being so close to Harman. I don't know if there is anything out there that gets that close.

I've looked at various Prophile-8 measurements and they differ in some ways. I'm wondering if Moondrop Blessing measurements are more consistent.

My Viento might :wink: - couldn’t get it measured though because it’s a CIEM.

Very small sample size, but the fact that Crinacle’s measurements match a random Korean dude’s IEM is promising haha

Nov 4, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #1,195 of 3,338

blessingtarget.png

Harman In-Ear Target (2017) for reference.

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #1,197 of 3,338
@crinacle how does the DMG stack up against the Periodic BE (with and without mod). I currently have the BE and was wondering if it's worth it to jump on a dmg

I would personally prefer the Be modded but that's if you prefer a flatter sound. The DMG has a lot of midbass and a slightly more coloured vocal midrange so it would depend on your preferences. Both are decent in their own price points.

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #1,198 of 3,338
Alright, my 64 Audio N8 just arrived and I am extremely, extremely disappointed. Figured I should just post about it since I've already given 64 Audio the benefit of the doubt once.

DISCLAIMER: It has been less than 24 hours since I've received my custom, but my initial impressions are so bad that I doubt they will change too much over time. Plus, the measurements pretty much tell the whole story.

So originally, most of my impressions on the N8 was based on the universal demo unit back in Music Sanctuary. It was great, it was amazing, I had to have one and so I did. I wrote a few impressions (more notably in my hybrid IEM article) and just waited.

First time my customs came, they were fine. They weren't completely perfect; it was a little thicker and heavier (sound wise) compared to the demo unit but nothing too major. The subbass still had its exceptional reach and decay and the mids/treble was fine, except from channel imbalance in the 2-5k region. So okay, I can still kind of live with the channel imbalance, but hey I paid good cash for it. So I decided to have it sent back and fix up the channel imbalance.

And here we are. The second round. And boy, it's bad; well, bad relative to what I expected anyways. YES, the channel matching is now basically perfect. Unfortunately, now it sounds like a typical generic hybrid with one-note bass, which is definitely not what I paid for. I paid for the thing I heard back in MS, not... this. Now there's a midbass hump and the subbass is barely articulated even on my bass-specific test tracks. I don't even feel the desire to listen to this; the FiiO F9 gets me better bass for crying out loud.

I usually don't post graphs in this thread but I think it visualises exactly what is going on here.

N8 M15 RMA.png
Current unit

N8customvuni.png
Current unit (red) vs demo unit (green)

RMAvspre.png
Current unit (green) vs pre-RMA unit (red)
I'll definitely be sending this back again if 64 Audio accepts yet another RMA. But at this point, I can't even recommend anyone get an N8 due to all these inconsistencies. And hell, I'll have to wait another 2 months just to get my N8 fixed if it even gets properly fixed at all. If they can't, well, I'll just have to vote with my wallet and just eat the reshell + depreciation costs by selling it.

There will also be a "stealth" readjustment of the ranking based on what I'm hearing with this custom unit in the coming days. Only fair after all.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #1,199 of 3,338
Alright, my 64 Audio N8 just arrived and I am extremely, extremely disappointed. Figured I should just post about it since I've already given 64 Audio the benefit of the doubt once.

DISCLAIMER: It has been less than 24 hours since I've received my custom, but my initial impressions are so bad that I doubt they will change too much over time. Plus, the measurements pretty much tell the whole story.

So originally, most of my impressions on the N8 was based on the universal demo unit back in Music Sanctuary. It was great, it was amazing, I had to have one and so I did. I wrote a few impressions (more notably in my hybrid IEM article) and just waited.

First time my customs came, they were fine. They weren't completely perfect; it was a little thicker and heavier (sound wise) compared to the demo unit but nothing too major. The subbass still had its exceptional reach and decay and the mids/treble was fine, except from channel imbalance in the 2-5k region. So okay, I can still kind of live with the channel imbalance, but hey I paid good cash for it. So I decided to have it sent back and fix up the channel imbalance.

And here we are. The second round. And boy, it's bad; well, bad relative to what I expected anyways. YES, the channel matching is now basically perfect. Unfortunately, now it sounds like a typical generic hybrid with one-note bass, which is definitely not what I paid for. I paid for the thing I heard back in MS, not... this. Now there's a midbass hump and the subbass is barely articulated even on my bass-specific test tracks. I don't even feel the desire to listen to this; the FiiO F9 gets me better bass for crying out loud.

I usually don't post graphs in this thread but I think it visualises exactly what is going on here.

Current unit

Current unit (red) vs demo unit (green)

Current unit (green) vs pre-RMA unit (red)
I'll definitely be sending this back again if 64 Audio accepts yet another RMA. But at this point, I can't even recommend anyone get an N8 due to all these inconsistencies. And hell, I'll have to wait another 2 months just to get my N8 fixed if it even gets properly fixed at all. If they can't, well, I'll just have to vote with my wallet and just eat the reshell + depreciation costs by selling it.

There will also be a "stealth" readjustment of the ranking based on what I'm hearing with this custom unit in the coming days. Only fair after all.

Oof I thought the universal demo was really promising and figured the custom would be even better. Shame that 64audio isn’t planning to release a uni N8 anytime soon.

Nov 7, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #1,200 of 3,338
This is some disturbing stuff to hear.
And sad.
Is this a normal behaviour of CIEMs? I mean do they usually diverse from their universal demo in sound (in some cases to the extreme like this, when they turn out to be completely different things?)
I know the sound would change more ore less due to differences in contruction, but in what manner usually may I ask? (Like the sub-bass tends to be better, more prominent upper-mid, more upper-treble etc...)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back