crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Oct 29, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #1,156 of 3,338
Viento-R is not available around me so I can't demo it. For Prophile-8 there's a shop carrying it so I'll check it out. And it is actually just $1400 there!, not a CIEM though.

Thank you so much.

At the introduction of the ProPhile 8 a custom version was said to be available some time. That was quite some time ago though...

Oct 29, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #1,158 of 3,338

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #1,160 of 3,338
@crinacle what are some iem that sounds similar to the qdc Gemini? I'm very much interested in the gemini but want to try some others with similar sound before making a final decision
thanks!

A12t or PP8 with all switches on maybe... though at that point I'd be using the term "similar" extremely loosely.

@crinacle I have a lot of experience with sub-1K IEM market and my current IEM is Andromeda plugged into "close to 0" impedance source.
I had the chance the try a custom Vision ears VE8 yesterday, I liked them a lot, so what is the closest universal to these VE8 in your book?
Thanks

I honestly can't think of any. Maybe the SD5? But they're still so different then.

Honestly, I'm very afraid to answer "what is similar to <insert IEM here>" questions because pretty much everything is different from each other. I can point out similarities in FR but even that doesn't translate to actual listening impressions.

Oct 29, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #1,161 of 3,338
Also can a DD that is not front vented cause ear damage. I think ADEL and APEX are built around this.

@seamon The ear damage thing is controversial. Yes, APEX and ADEL are built around that concept because most pure-BA IEMs are completely sealed so there is a possibility that one can get a higher-than-usual pressure within the ear canal when inserting, though IMO that's a non-issue if one knows how to break the seal and equalise pressure before listening.

Front venting isn't a magical solution of course, the more you vent the more you kill the bass (opposite to back venting, where the more you vent the more bass you get). The biggest issue isn't really ear damage IMO, it's the fact that a bad fit can disable the driver (lock the diaphragm) itself so you're not hearing how it's supposed to sound to varying degrees.

Oct 29, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #1,162 of 3,338
@seamon The ear damage thing is controversial. Yes, APEX and ADEL are built around that concept because most pure-BA IEMs are completely sealed so there is a possibility that one can get a higher-than-usual pressure within the ear canal when inserting, though IMO that's a non-issue if one knows how to break the seal and equalise pressure before listening.

Front venting isn't a magical solution of course, the more you vent the more you kill the bass (opposite to back venting, where the more you vent the more bass you get). The biggest issue isn't really ear damage IMO, it's the fact that a bad fit can disable the driver (lock the diaphragm) itself so you're not hearing how it's supposed to sound to varying degrees.
Is there a special technique to break the seal and equalize the pressure. I may/may not be doing it and I am not aware.

Oct 29, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #1,164 of 3,338
I have slight right ear damage from listening to the CA Vega at high volume. I bought it used and was warned about the powerful bass and I never had issues with any bass head IEMs or headphones and didn't think anything of it, but the Vega really moves a lot of air and right ear sometimes has ringing and pain at any given moment.

I'm hoping that my next choice the 64 Audio 12t, 64 Audio N8, and CA Solaris doesn't have a problem with venting or moving too much air on bass hits.

Oct 29, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #1,165 of 3,338
I have slight right ear damage from listening to the CA Vega at high volume. I bought it used and was warned about the powerful bass and I never had issues with any bass head IEMs or headphones and didn't think anything of it, but the Vega really moves a lot of air and right ear sometimes has ringing and pain at any given moment.

I'm hoping that my next choice the 64 Audio 12t, 64 Audio N8, and CA Solaris doesn't have a problem with venting or moving too much air on bass hits.

I don't know if you can attribute that to canal pressure, but I remember the Vega flexing when I tried them. Wasn't really a crinkle but more like a solid click when I inserted them.

Oct 29, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #1,166 of 3,338
I've had Vega straight up not working sometimes, now I know it was caused by Driver Flex

Oct 29, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #1,167 of 3,338

I feel like heavy bass would damage my hearing without me being so concerned about it. Anything treble heavy or piercing I cringe and become adverse, but the lower frequencies I can turn up the volume quite a bit without being so concerned with how loud it is. I notice this with HD6XX. I tend to turn up the volume a bit because it doesn't sound bright. Something with quite a bit of bass slam, I'm a bit careful about turning it up.

I love mids so if the headphone has a bit of treble, I won't be getting enough mids due to being peaky treble adverse.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #1,168 of 3,338
I don't know if you can attribute that to canal pressure, but I remember the Vega flexing when I tried them. Wasn't really a crinkle but more like a solid click when I inserted them.

You're probably right. I feel like if it vented better, there would be less pressure. The Trio was much better in this regard.

Oct 29, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #1,169 of 3,338
Is there a special technique to break the seal and equalize the pressure. I may/may not be doing it and I am not aware.

There is air inside of your ear canals. If you insert an IEM and there is nowhere for that air to escape, that creates pressure within your ears. I try to avoid just jamming them straight into my ears. I usually pull on the top of my ears.

On a related note, I went to see an audiologist the other day after experiencing earaches (not IEM/hobby-related, it turned out to be allergy-related). During my hearing test she was getting some weird readings and it turned out I wasn't getting a proper seal. She gently pulled on the top of my ears while inserting the headset to get a proper seal.

Oct 29, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #1,170 of 3,338
On a related note, I went to see an audiologist the other day after experiencing earaches (not IEM/hobby-related, it turned out to be allergy-related). During my hearing test she was getting some weird readings and it turned out I wasn't getting a proper seal. She gently pulled on the top of my ears while inserting the headset to get a proper seal.

A lot of people forget that your nasal passages can extend upward to be next to your ear canals. Of course, both lead to your brain, so be very careful and treat allergies like they are infections, as allergies can also cause, or even be mistaken for, infections.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back