crinacle's IEM Ranking List
Sep 17, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #32 of 3,338
Any words on the JH Angie or Earsonics S-em 9?

I would like to see S-EM9.
Great works by the way.

No Earsonics retailers near where I am currently, so that'll be in the backburner for a while.

I'll try to get the Angie a longer listen next time.

Sep 22, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #33 of 3,338
I have been living in this thread for weeks now and have had to exercise massive restraint from making a purchase until I'm sure of what I want - and I seem to want them all. I know the SS I'm after and am surprised to have confirmed it in a rather cheap earphone; the zero audio carbo tenore. Center bass and lower midrange is a little weak, but otherwise, it fits my preferences about spot on. Sub bass is great and the highs are smooth with foamies and a moderately deep insertion. So, I seem to like the sig on the carbos.

I'm a day or two away from ordering the JH13v2 Pro and will gladly spend 1K if it gets me to the next level - BUT I haven't heard it in person! After confirming numerous IEMs that I have heard directly and confirming what I'm hearing using @crinacle measurements, I'm fairly confident that the 13v2 is for me - it seems to track with the carbo in the presence and sibilance regions and has adjustable bass that really piques my interest. But there is surprisingly little commentary out there and I'm pretty sure I've read all that's out there. I'm not sure if this is the proper place, but I am sure you guys can at least redirect me to where I might get suggestions based on my preferred sig. Here's what I'm after:

• cost 1K
  • fast attack (esp on kick drum) as I listen to prog metal with lots of fast transients
  • decent sub bass and center bass with no bloom or bleed into low mids
  • vocal presence can't be buried, but I'm not picky about perfectly accurate mids
  • lower treble neutral or at least tamed - I'm sensitive to sibilance (I'm willing to use foams if it'll tame it)
  • MUST have excellent extension with sweet upper treble - I love dat air
Apologies if this is the wrong place for seeking suggestions - any redirection is helpful. Otherwise, your opinions are very welcomed.

Sep 24, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #34 of 3,338
I have been living in this thread for weeks now and have had to exercise massive restraint from making a purchase until I'm sure of what I want - and I seem to want them all. I know the SS I'm after and am surprised to have confirmed it in a rather cheap earphone; the zero audio carbo tenore. Center bass and lower midrange is a little weak, but otherwise, it fits my preferences about spot on. Sub bass is great and the highs are smooth with foamies and a moderately deep insertion. So, I seem to like the sig on the carbos.

I'm a day or two away from ordering the JH13v2 Pro and will gladly spend 1K if it gets me to the next level - BUT I haven't heard it in person! After confirming numerous IEMs that I have heard directly and confirming what I'm hearing using @crinacle measurements, I'm fairly confident that the 13v2 is for me - it seems to track with the carbo in the presence and sibilance regions and has adjustable bass that really piques my interest. But there is surprisingly little commentary out there and I'm pretty sure I've read all that's out there. I'm not sure if this is the proper place, but I am sure you guys can at least redirect me to where I might get suggestions based on my preferred sig. Here's what I'm after:

• cost 1K
  • fast attack (esp on kick drum) as I listen to prog metal with lots of fast transients
  • decent sub bass and center bass with no bloom or bleed into low mids
  • vocal presence can't be buried, but I'm not picky about perfectly accurate mids
  • lower treble neutral or at least tamed - I'm sensitive to sibilance (I'm willing to use foams if it'll tame it)
  • MUST have excellent extension with sweet upper treble - I love dat air
Apologies if this is the wrong place for seeking suggestions - any redirection is helpful. Otherwise, your opinions are very welcomed.

If it helps, I don't really like the JH13v2 Pro. The one that I really liked was the JH13v2 Pro Performance Series. They sound slightly different but the Performance Series is slightly smoother and better controlled.

If you liked the Carbo Tenore you might like the Rhapsodio Solar. Just throwing it out there.

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #35 of 3,338
Is there any way for you to try Unique Melody ME-1 from there (Aussie)? Would love to hear your impression and, see its measurement. :) If not, maybe when you returned to SG (there is one at Stereo.sg).. Thanks before!

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #37 of 3,338
If it helps, I don't really like the JH13v2 Pro. The one that I really liked was the JH13v2 Pro Performance Series. They sound slightly different but the Performance Series is slightly smoother and better controlled.

If you liked the Carbo Tenore you might like the Rhapsodio Solar. Just throwing it out there.
It was the performance series I almost ordered. Sorry for the wrong info. However, after reading some of the info on other performance series I decided to buy Angie. The performance series insertion depth seems to be overly extreme and some folks just cant get them to seat without constant adjustment and deal with them sticking out away from the head.

So Angie for me, for now. It's an amazon prime thing so I can return them if there's a fit issue. I'll look into the solar as a next step purchase if the Angies don't cut the mustard. Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

Sep 24, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #38 of 3,338
Is there any way for you to try Unique Melody ME-1 from there (Aussie)? Would love to hear your impression and, see its measurement. :) If not, maybe when you returned to SG (there is one at Stereo.sg).. Thanks before!

Probably not anytime soon. Hopefully I can find someone here who pulled the trigger.

I think LCDi4 is also missing in the list ,, ,

Will need to check with the audio store if they finally have a demo unit.

Oct 1, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #40 of 3,338
Awesome work. Tuning, staging, tone and coherency were your metrics and with those criteria I see you ranked tia fourte>=Zeus XR adel>kse 1500. Could you rank shure kse1500, 64 audio tia fourte and empire ears Zeus XR adel according to resolution (detail retrieval). Thanks.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #42 of 3,338
Audeze LCDi4
The old weakness in the iSine 10 and 20 still exist (1.5k housing resonance peak) resulting in a veiled/muffled midrange that completely destroys the timbre reproduction. Almost in the same vein as the Shure KSE1500, and for that reason does not go too high on the list. Technicalities somewhat make up for this (low distortion, high resolution).

Grade: A-
Note: will have to re-grade the iSines as well. Wait for my reshuffle.

Campfire Polaris

A pretty great hybrid though not my taste. Pseudo-Japanese tuning focusing on female vocals and very lively signature.

Grade: B

Final Audio Design Heaven II

It's somewhat neutral, bright-ish. For $90, great buy.

Grade: C+

Fostex TE-02WP
Neutral-bright. Ridiculous value.

Grade: C-

Oppo MH130

Holy mother of all things audio, this is awful.

Grade: F

Vivo XE800
Touted as a mini-GR07, and to my ears can very well be the closest you can get at its price point. Will need an in-depth comparison but this is good.

Grade: C-

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #43 of 3,338
Awesome work. Tuning, staging, tone and coherency were your metrics and with those criteria I see you ranked tia fourte>=Zeus XR adel>kse 1500. Could you rank shure kse1500, 64 audio tia fourte and empire ears Zeus XR adel according to resolution (detail retrieval). Thanks.

Based purely off my aural memory (which is admittedly flawed) I would say KSE1500 > Zeus >= Fourte.

Oct 5, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #44 of 3,338
Vivo XE800
Touted as a mini-GR07, and to my ears can very well be the closest you can get at its price point. Will need an in-depth comparison but this is good.

Grade: C

Only now saw this. Again, did you use the stock tips? They look quite flimsy. Did you get a good seal?

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #45 of 3,338
Have you heard the Hidition Vento? I know there's a lot more to overall sound character but it looks amazing in your graph. I guess it would depend on how one feels about the mid bump but I tend to find a smooth bump like that favorable. The extension on top and even character in general along with a lift towards the sub bass looks spot on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back