Credit card debt vs. headphone gear value: which is greater?
May 16, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #16 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I meant everything... as in every single possession I own.
frown.gif

Oh well, it's a good investment, and is paying off very well already (not in income yet, but in life goals).

LOL...my life probably doesn't even worth 9 grand.
tongue.gif

May 16, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #17 of 48
I'm quite surprised at the results, but very happy with the maturity level of the people taking this poll. For those not in the majority here, don't let the greedy, corporate thieves of the credit world screw you with absurd interest rates. If you can't afford it, don't buy it. If you need to use your credit card to pay for something, you shouldn't be buying it. If you want to use your credit card to pay for something to build up your credit rating, have the cash on hand to pay the balance off within the month.

When I was younger I screwed up and got myself in debt by 1) buying things I thought I could afford to pay off (which is why credit cards exist in the first place, to screw and make money off of the ignorant consumer), and 2) going into business with a family member that screwed me. (Point #1 would have be doable if it weren't for point #2.) I learned my lessons on both counts and have no credit cards now. My headphone system was completely paid for with cash and barter.

May 16, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #18 of 48
I completely failed to see the draw that Americans have for credit cards (or the unconscious want of debt?). I suppose it might be different when your holding a high limit card in your hand and staring the "unattainable" item that your longing for. Still, I strongly dislike being financially tied down as this as as bad as a horrible relationship.

At the very least, i've always bought things with my own real money (though sometimes I couldn't really "afford" to, this is another story :p).

May 16, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #19 of 48
I would agree that debt free is the way to be. I have literally lived off sandwiches for 2 weeks cos i spent my whole pay check on the 780's but i would never go into cc debt. I think it is a slippery slope and at 20 about to start university it would be dangerous to go anywhere near it.

May 16, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #20 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course, I'm being an enormous hypocrite right now for blindly throwing $429 on the Visa this morning. There are some things that cannot be helped.
biggrin.gif
But that's the 2.9% card, I have the money, and I'll knock it off in a month or two.

Come on! Tell us what you bought for $429!

May 16, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #24 of 48
Before (2001): school loans (for me & wife): $330,000 Credit card debt: $45,000
Now (2009): school loans: $90,000 Credit card debt: $0

Very foolish with money in our younger years; learned our lesson the hard way, but glad we learned it.

May 16, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #26 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My school loans will take over soon...
frown.gif

I don't know about everyone else, but I can't imagine a lot of people realistically paying off those kind of horrendous loan sums. unless of course, they are doing something boring like taking all business classes.
I personally cannot bring myself to do student loans, I would hate to have that mountain of debt loom me for a decade not knowing how to pay it off.

May 16, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #27 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by RushNerd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about everyone else, but I can't imagine a lot of people realistically paying off those kind of horrendous loan sums. unless of course, they are doing something boring like taking all business classes.
I personally cannot bring myself to do student loans, I would hate to have that mountain of debt loom me for a decade not knowing how to pay it off.

Not taking loans isn't an option for me. Either I take it and go to school or I don't take it and have no education.

May 16, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #28 of 48
No credit card debts.
Unless you count what I have spent the last month (~$2,000), which are interest free for around 30 days.

May 16, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come on! Tell us what you bought for $429!

Have you been paying attention to the Headphone Forum today?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back