Credit card debt vs. headphone gear value: which is greater?
May 15, 2009 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

lucky

1000+ Head-Fier
A comment in a brisk thread got me to make this thread about something I'd been wondering about for a while. Here's the comment:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Head-fi poster
boo todd and boo grado.

Every time I get close to having my credit card payed off, some limited edition grado something or other comes out and I end up sending them more money via ttvj.

At least this won't hurt my wallet as bad as the ps-1 did.

Which is greater in your personal case--your current credit card debt, or the purchase value of your headphone gear (including amps, etc)?

May 16, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 48
The topic of this thread is very funny. You should add another option to the poll. "Your headphone purchases have resulted a significant credit card debt."

May 16, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 48
The gear is worth a lot more than my debt. But don't put your audio purchases on credit unless you have enough to pay it off. I like credit cards for convenience and security, but not for finance.

Of course, I'm being an enormous hypocrite right now for blindly throwing $429 on the Visa this morning. There are some things that cannot be helped.
biggrin.gif
But that's the 2.9% card, I have the money, and I'll knock it off in a month or two.

May 16, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 48
I made a policy years ago that goes like this:

If I want it and I don't have the money for it, I'll wait until I do to buy it.

Using credit cards for buying luxuries you can't afford at the moment is a bad idea.

May 16, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 48
We should make a new poll: "School loan debt vs. the combined value of everything you own: which is greater?"

My vote would be for the former...
frown.gif

May 16, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We should make a new poll: "School loan debt vs. the combined value of everything you own: which is greater?"

frown.gif

That hit home
eek.gif

May 16, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The gear is worth a lot more than my debt. But don't put your audio purchases on credit unless you have enough to pay it off. I like credit cards for convenience and security, but not for finance.

Of course, I'm being an enormous hypocrite right now for blindly throwing $429 on the Visa this morning. There are some things that cannot be helped.
biggrin.gif
But that's the 2.9% card, I have the money, and I'll knock it off in a month or two.

2.9% card?

My bank account has more interest than that.

Where did you get that?

May 16, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif

frown.gif

Let's see:

School loan debt: around $9000
Gear worth: around $2000 if everything new

May 16, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #14 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's see:

School loan debt: around $9000
Gear worth: around $2000 if everything new

No, I meant everything... as in every single possession I own.
frown.gif

Oh well, it's a good investment, and is paying off very well already (not in income yet, but in life goals).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back