Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Feb 4, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #3,181 of 3,608
Has anybody found a way to FORCE set Creative X7 default volume/playback/mixer settings?

For some reason my X7 resets all settings to 100% (volume, each input channel, each output channel) in the mixer every time I restart my Windows.

It gets very annoying manualy resetting al the settings to their proper settings.

I have re-installed the drivers (clean) and I have the latest (Feb 2019) firmware installed

This is very annoying as I use the X7 as a pre amp to my power amp and I'm always a bit weary when turning on my PC machine and checking the volume level before turning on my power amp. Luckily, this seems to be a Windows issue more so than Creative as this only happens sometimes when I turn on my PC otherwise it is absolutely fine for every other input (Optical, USB, Bluetooth etc.) and will remember your volume level.

As a side note to help, I notice when this happens, it also resets a few other settings such as enabling the what you hear option from the microphone which causes feedback and could potentially damage your speakers and ears! An easy fix to this at the very least is to put a dummy 3.5mm jack into the microphone input as I have done.

I plan on adding a miniDSP to the mix at a later date which would elevate all the problems above as I would have the X7 volume set to 100 anyway and have the miniDSP control the volume instead. This would also let me finally control the system's volume with a physical remote opposed to the android/ios app or the X7 device itself which I absolutely hate. I wish they made it possible to use 3rd party physical remotes by utilising the USB port to add a IR reciever of some sort to allow for IR remotes. This or even release a bluetooth one, and I would pay for it!

The X7 does that. I just turn the volume down on the amp when I'm turning on my PS4.

That is a possibility, however on my TV, the optical out switches between PCM and DD. Annoying when I am scrolling through Netflix for example and there are some PCM items and some Dolby encoded ones and I wouldn't know when the screech comes. If there were some way to force outputting DD from the TV even if it is stereo like the Xbox 360 does and I'm guessing your PS4, that would be great as I would only hear it once then. It's not a big deal I guess, I just want the X7 to work in harmony with everything without having to touch much at all, is that so much to ask :p

My X7 has been continuously on for at least a year by now and it's working fine.

Ah this is good to know and will leave mine on too now, so I'm guessing it would turn on out of standby when the X7 senses audio from any of it's sources.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #3,182 of 3,608
This is very annoying as I use the X7 as a pre amp to my power amp and I'm always a bit weary when turning on my PC machine and checking the volume level before turning on my power amp. Luckily, this seems to be a Windows issue more so than Creative as this only happens sometimes when I turn on my PC otherwise it is absolutely fine for every other input (Optical, USB, Bluetooth etc.) and will remember your volume level.

I haven't found a windows setting yet that would enable the Creative X7 mixer settings NOT to be reset. I'm now playing with turning OFF fast-restart (hopefully it will also turn OFF fast-shutdown, which I don't need).

Even Creative X7 settings DO get reset, there must be a storage place (.cfg/.reg location) somewhere that can be modified, which specify to which level those settings get RESET to. I would like to find and edit these settings, so the Creative X7 mixer settings, IF reset, would always to be reset to correct settings (for my system).

And yes, I have the same exact looping issue on my system (What-U-Hear gets activated along with all levels to 100%, so my headset mic start looping back into headphone and a horrible squealing starts. Creative engineers did not think this one through).

Feb 4, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #3,183 of 3,608
I haven't found a windows setting yet that would enable the Creative X7 mixer settings NOT to be reset. I'm now playing with turning OFF fast-restart (hopefully it will also turn OFF fast-shutdown, which I don't need).

Even Creative X7 settings DO get reset, there must be a storage place (.cfg/.reg location) somewhere that can be modified, which specify to which level those settings get RESET to. I would like to find and edit these settings, so the Creative X7 mixer settings, IF reset, would always to be reset to correct settings (for my system).

And yes, I have the same exact looping issue on my system (What-U-Hear gets activated along with all levels to 100%, so my headset mic start looping back into headphone and a horrible squealing starts. Creative engineers did not think this one through).

I remember a way I did combat this when using my PC often with the X7 was to put my laptop to sleep opposed to shutting it down or hibernating. Some loopholes I know and yet I would have expected some sort of setting to un-touch it as you say for this and shutdown and restart successfully. I also wonder if there is a .cfg location for this now hmm.

Also you mentioned that there is a new firmware for the X7, good to know it is still supported, I think the last firmware was about a year ago. Anyone know of any fixes apart from the one listed on the website?

The X7 is darn near perfect apart from these niggling issues, to the point where I don't even need a home theatre receiver as there is no input switching and I don't care about all the new fancy surround sound formats. Dolby Digital for 5.1 and PCM for stereo does it for me through Optical. Heck, If I play surround sound movies or media with other audio codecs via the PC, that works too via USB :)

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #3,184 of 3,608
I want to hook up a tube amp to the X7. Is it prefered to use the line out or can I use the headphone-out. When using the headphone out should I use low or high gain?

Feb 4, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #3,185 of 3,608

You should be able to achieve that using ProcMon. Set the filter to process id of X7 control panel or parent process id of x7 control panel, trigger some changes and procmon should show you which registry keys/files are updated.

I want to hook up a tube amp to the X7. Is it prefered to use the line out or can I use the headphone-out. When using the headphone out should I use low or high gain?
Line Out.
Why would you even want to use the headphone out?

Feb 4, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #3,187 of 3,608
Did Anyone able to eliminate the hissing for SB X7?
Had it a few years back (only with burson opamps for some reason). The solution was to move the power supply of my router to a different power strip. Does your X7 share a power strip/outlet with other devices?

Feb 4, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #3,188 of 3,608
Hi All,

Saw the comments on this about volume resetting. I noticed mine reset after it auto-turned off. I was out of town for business for a week. Came back and turned it on and volume set to 100, which scared the crap out of me as my speakers started to hum super loud.

Additionally, if you don't want feedback through the speakers, make sure your Mic Monitoring Volume is set to off. Even if your mic itself is off, the X7 pics up sound and was routing it through my E-MU speakers. Thought I was going bananas until I figured it out. Mic Monitoring can be found in Crystal Voice.This also reset to On when the device auto-turned off.

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #3,189 of 3,608
Line Out.
Why would you even want to use the headphone out?

Convenience. I also have the EMU XM7 hooked up to the X7. If the tube headphone amp is connected tot he headphone out I oly have to switch between headphones and speakers. With the tube amp connected to the line out I have to switch between line-out and amplified speaker out and enable/disable "send headphone mix for line-out" (don't know what the checkbox is marked with in English).

Did Anyone able to eliminate the hissing for SB X7?
Yes, it was caused by a ground loop. After connecting my PC to a different wall outlet it is gone (not a 100%, but it is so faint that it doesn't matter anymore).

Hi All,

Saw the comments on this about volume resetting. I noticed mine reset after it auto-turned off. I was out of town for business for a week. Came back and turned it on and volume set to 100, which scared the crap out of me as my speakers started to hum super loud.

Additionally, if you don't want feedback through the speakers, make sure your Mic Monitoring Volume is set to off. Even if your mic itself is off, the X7 pics up sound and was routing it through my E-MU speakers. Thought I was going bananas until I figured it out. Mic Monitoring can be found in Crystal Voice.This also reset to On when the device auto-turned off.

The speaker feedback lop happened to me, too, a couple of times. The only solution I found was plugging in some cable to the mic-in on the front. This disables the internal microphone for good. I am using a 3.5mm-Y 3pole to 2x 3.5mm 2-pole-cable on both headphone out and mic-in.

Feb 6, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #3,191 of 3,608
hello guys, I wanted to ask you a question, which you recommend me, the sound blaster g6 or the sound blaster x7, would be to connect it to the ps4 and the xbox, thanks.
What is your budget?
Do you need to connect speakers or headphones only?
Do you need to connect more than one source at the same time?
Are you going to use it for gaming only or for music too?

Feb 7, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #3,192 of 3,608
hello, because in principle I get almost the same price, it would be mostly to connect to the consoles, in the future because maybe I would use it to connect some speakers, but it is not safe. The headphones that I usually use are the akg h612 and the Sennheiser hd700, I would also be interested in which one leads best for hard-driving headphones, thanks.

Feb 8, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #3,193 of 3,608
X7 has the better headphone amplifier. G6 hast 7.1 surrond simulation, X7 only 5.1. G6 is more portable and can be powered by the PS4's USB port, X7 is bulkier and require a separate PSU. Since SPDIF IN is only 5.1 anyway, I would recommend X7 unless you really need the smaller form factor of the G6.

Feb 13, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #3,194 of 3,608
I have my tube amplifier connected to the lineout fo the X7. I noticed that it sounds really weird if I don't enable direct mode. This doesn't happen when connected directly to the headphone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back