Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Feb 16, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #3,212 of 3,608
Just as side note, I have tested Waves NX on the Xbox along with head tracking and to be honest I find it mediocre at best. The head tracking does absolutely nothing in terms of accuracy and precision. Some might think it's more immersive I don't then again I might not sit around bobbing my head enough. :)

The notion that Waves NX is so superior to anything out there is simply not true, not as far as accuracy and positional audio goes anyways.

I very much prefer the SBX feed and then adding EQ and Compressors on top of that feed.

Sorry, but What? On XBox? This is not going to work properly since you have no chance of feeding Waves NX a proper 7.1 signal.

Feb 16, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #3,213 of 3,608
You can keep you What to your self kiddo, no there is no 7.1 feed from the Xbox of course, but it would mimic the way Mobius would do the head tracking rendering with digital 2.0 signal opposed to analog which you're stuck with when using Mobius.

As for surround streams I tested feeding it a proper 5.1 and 7.1 on my PC rig, not superior to either SBX with DD 5.1 stream or GSX (well GSX does sound more hollow and tinny)

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #3,214 of 3,608
Yes, but the Head tracking doesn't make much sense when it is being fed by a 2.0 signal and in this case definitely won't improve positional tracking.

If you have played a modern PC game with a decent .71 sound engine (e.g played Overwatch, CoD or Battflefield) using the Mobus and still didn't like it, then it may indeed just not work for you. But hooking it up to an Xbox and complaining that it doesn't do much "in terms of accuracy and precision" when it is just receiving just a stereo feed is dumb. Of course it won't produce a proper surround simulation if it isn't fed a surround signal to begin with.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #3,215 of 3,608
Well, Audeze does not agree with you since they tout head tracking working just dandy with consoles even for 2.0 streams....

Regardless head tracking doesn't make sense at all unless you play a VR game, if you move your head in real life, your character does not move its head. This basic concept is obviously very hard for some of you to grasp.

So regardless of stream, it won't simulate proper surround sound based on the head tracking simply because it's not VR. Now if you enjoy moving your head left and right and feel more immersed that's fine, but don't claim it's more positional and accurate because it's not.

Yes, I have of course tested waves NX on a game with 7.1 surround and head tracking on a pc rig, there is absolutely nothing that makes it superior in terms of accuracy and positional audio. Games being BFV which has one of the best sound design to date.

Feb 18, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #3,216 of 3,608
Well, Audeze does not agree with you since they tout head tracking working just dandy with consoles even for 2.0 streams....

Regardless head tracking doesn't make sense at all unless you play a VR game, if you move your head in real life, your character does not move its head. This basic concept is obviously very hard for some of you to grasp.

So regardless of stream, it won't simulate proper surround sound based on the head tracking simply because it's not VR. Now if you enjoy moving your head left and right and feel more immersed that's fine, but don't claim it's more positional and accurate because it's not.

Yes, I have of course tested waves NX on a game with 7.1 surround and head tracking on a pc rig, there is absolutely nothing that makes it superior in terms of accuracy and positional audio. Games being BFV which has one of the best sound design to date.

If you have tested Wave NX on a PC with Battelfied 5 and still did not like it (and if you set Battlefield sound device to home cinema), then that's fine, it wasn't for you.
Yet I still don't agree that the head tracking i dumb. It is simulating a 7.1 speaker set up. That's different to a VR game where the enigne does the mix directly (or games that have their own HRTF solution.

When you are sitting inside a true 7.1 speaker setup and you move your head the soun d waves will reach your ear in a different way. A normal HRTF solution without headtracking cannot accommodate that. It is especially hard to distinguish between front and back audio cues with a pair of headphones. If I turn my head slightly and I do have headtracking front and back queues will become easily distingiushable (since they audio cues are now more situated are on the left or right). If I don't have headtracking, the position of the audio cues are way off and I am still not able to distinguish back and front.

Of course I could just turn around ingame keeping my head straight. But if I am camping a spot and preaiming this is not really feasible. Turning my head a bit but keeping my eyes focused on the center of the screen is.

Oh and it helps with immersion.

That the headtracking makes sense on a console with a stereo signal is indeed just marketing bull.

A decent open-back headphone + bluetooth head tracker + Waves NX is by far the most complete, accurate and immersive headphone surround solution I have heard up until today. And I have heard them all (CMSS 3D, SBX Pro Studio, Sennheiser GSX-1000, Dolby Atmos for Heapdhones, Windows Sonic, Razer Surround, Out of Your head). It is just the best there is in the realm of cheap consumer audio.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #3,217 of 3,608
Yes, I have, as I repeatedly have told you. Head tracking is bull in terms of positional audio and accuracy for non-VR games. As for Atmos in real speakers, yeah right.. unless you turn your head like a mad man the minute movement won't do much in atmos setup. Let alone in a downmix in a pair of headphones.

I'd love to see a video of you guys gaming, by the sound of it you move like your watching tennis.. :)

Helps with immersion, sure I'd buy that but it has nothing to do with accuracy or positional audio cues. No matter how you slice or dice it.

Feb 19, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #3,218 of 3,608
I am gaming like this

6Cqvs6m.jpg

On a 24" 16:9 screen going full competitive it does indeed not make much sense. On a 34" 21:9 or bigger it does help a lot.

Feb 21, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #3,219 of 3,608
I did some blind AB-Tests with the SMSL SU-8 yesterday, comparing it to my Creative X7 using a passive switch and Virtual Audio cable and my girlfriend connecting the two DACs in random order, so I didn't know which switch setting was which DAC. There was absolutely no difference. I could not for the life of it discern between the two.

The X7 is a very nicely designed product from X7 and a real keeper for me, since it is superior feature-wise and offers tons of connection options. However, I could'nt make out any difference between different Opamps either (Burson V5-i vs AD604)

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #3,220 of 3,608
I did some blind AB-Tests with the SMSL SU-8 yesterday, comparing it to my Creative X7 using a passive switch and Virtual Audio cable and my girlfriend connecting the two DACs in random order, so I didn't know which switch setting was which DAC. There was absolutely no difference. I could not for the life of it discern between the two.

The X7 is a very nicely designed product from X7 and a real keeper for me, since it is superior feature-wise and offers tons of connection options. However, I couldn't make out any difference between different Opamps either (Burson V5-i vs AD604)

This is good to hear, I've been using the X7 for the past 3+ years for various uses and is now in my living room as a receiver replacement for my home theatre/desktop dac. I feel like I need to do a write up for it, it's the best audio thing I've ever owned and there is still nothing like it, perhaps the NAD M10 but still that's quite different and 4 times the price and only stereo.

Is there a major difference between the Burson V5-i and stock op amps and also does this only effect certain outputs of the X7 or all. I mainly use the Line-Outs thats why I ask, so would it be much benefit for me if there was a big difference. Oh and does the lid close with these added?

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #3,222 of 3,608
Just got my X7 LE to pair with my DT990's for xbox and PC gaming. I've read other posts about how to get the chat working on the xbox using the line in and I was able to get everything working, sort of. I didn't take details notes while messing with it last night, and won't be able to test tonight cause I don't have anyone to play with, but...

Depending on what settings I used, scout mode on or SBX on or off, don't recall which. Sometimes I could only hear the game chat in the right earphone, not the left. While game sound was fine in both. I am going to test using the xbox app on my computer to get the chat from it, as one of the things I love about the X7 is that it can mix multiple sources.

I am still trying to decide if I prefer stereo, dolby atmos for headphones on xbox or the SBX from the X7 for positional cues in COD Blackout. Does the multi input mixing still work when SBX is on? I think my other question/issue was with direct mode. I originally checked direct mode(normal) and direct mode(SPDIF-in) as I wanted to try just straight stereo. I feel like I had no sound at all, until i realized apparently I can't have both checked at the same time. Unchecked normal direct mode since I am using an optical cable and sound returned. All these settings are a bit confusing lol and the manual wasn't amazing. I couldn't even find the english part on it. Might have to look for something better online.

Anyway, if anyone can tell me how best to set it up for Xbox One game chat and positional cues, that would be great. Thanks!!!

Feb 21, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #3,223 of 3,608
Just got my X7 LE to pair with my DT990's for xbox and PC gaming. I've read other posts about how to get the chat working on the xbox using the line in and I was able to get everything working, sort of. I didn't take details notes while messing with it last night, and won't be able to test tonight cause I don't have anyone to play with, but...

Depending on what settings I used, scout mode on or SBX on or off, don't recall which. Sometimes I could only hear the game chat in the right earphone, not the left. While game sound was fine in both. I am going to test using the xbox app on my computer to get the chat from it, as one of the things I love about the X7 is that it can mix multiple sources.

I am still trying to decide if I prefer stereo, dolby atmos for headphones on xbox or the SBX from the X7 for positional cues in COD Blackout. Does the multi input mixing still work when SBX is on? I think my other question/issue was with direct mode. I originally checked direct mode(normal) and direct mode(SPDIF-in) as I wanted to try just straight stereo. I feel like I had no sound at all, until i realized apparently I can't have both checked at the same time. Unchecked normal direct mode since I am using an optical cable and sound returned. All these settings are a bit confusing lol and the manual wasn't amazing. I couldn't even find the english part on it. Might have to look for something better online.

Anyway, if anyone can tell me how best to set it up for Xbox One game chat and positional cues, that would be great. Thanks!!!

I can't speak to the game chat but for Blackout, use Dolby Digital bitstream via optical out and turn on SBX. Turn surround up to 100% or as near it as you can stand. Atmos on Xbox requires content with an Atmos mix which Blackout does not have.

With SBX it is a very noticeably better experience in Blackout than with stereo.

Feb 22, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #3,225 of 3,608
The software was so bad for me, it constantly froze and crashed. It was so annoying that I just returned it. They sounded good when they actually worked tho.
I can't speak to the game chat but for Blackout, use Dolby Digital bitstream via optical out and turn on SBX. Turn surround up to 100% or as near it as you can stand. Atmos on Xbox requires content with an Atmos mix which Blackout does not have.

With SBX it is a very noticeably better experience in Blackout than with stereo.

Thanks, I will give it a try. One more question though. The xbox only gives me the option for dolby digital bitsream via optical under speakers. For headphones only Stereo uncompressed, Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos are available. If I leave it at Stereo, will SBX do its thing still?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back