Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Feb 22, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #3,243 of 3,608
Well it's money well spent imho if you want Xbox chat without hassle. The sweet thing with the X7 is that you can now very easily adjust the chat volume with the X7 mixer.

You will need a 3.5mm make to to rca male cable to connect from the Mixamp stream out (3.5mm female) to the X7 stereo in (rca) with the Mix amp comes a y splitter cable. Very important that you use this splitter cable to connect your mic signal from your headset (or external mic) you can't just plug in the mic directy into the mix amp as it will not separate the mic in and headphone out from the jack.

Make sure you get good cables, I got a 3.5mm to rca from amazon that was garbage and gave a lot of hiss.

Also make sure you adjust the stream out (on the mixmp) and line in on the X7 to prevent from getting to much gain and noise from the the Mixamp.

I actually use a switch for my Mixamp as it's connected to both my Mac and my Xbox one X. With a press of a button i connect to the Mac and can open the Mixamp software, click again and it connects back to the Xbox. Not that useful now as i don't use the Mixamp for other then chat, and once i set the noise gate and stream out gain i really don't change it. But when i used the Mixamp on its own it was handy to switch to the mixamp software to make the presets for different headphones etc.

So you still have to use the 3.5mm to rca adapter? Hopefully that doesn't cause me the same issues I'm having now. Not sure if the one I got is good but it had good reviews.

Feb 22, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #3,246 of 3,608
Then your doing it wrong, where do you take the xbox chat from and how do you feed into the X7 ? The way i explained is not a matter of hit or miss, it works. The only reason i mentioned the cable is bad cables can often be the culprit from static and noise.

Feb 22, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #3,247 of 3,608
Then your doing it wrong, where do you take the xbox chat from and how do you feed into the X7 ? The way i explained is not a matter of hit or miss, it works. The only reason i mentioned the cable is bad cables can often be the culprit from static and noise.

Yeah it was weird, I haven't been able to test again but I feel like when sbx or scout mode or maybe direct mode was on was when it did it. Other times it worked

Feb 23, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #3,248 of 3,608
Scout mode is useless imho and should not be used. Why spend hundreds of dollars on a good DAC/headphone amp just to make it sound like crap. :) The main benefit of the SBX (for me) is that I get positional audio cues, without sacrificing too much of the sound design in the game.

Besides neither Scout mode or SBX will affect the line in signal to that degree, in fact, I just tested the in line with a soundtrack from my phone and the effect scout and SBX has on the line in signal (opposed to the bitstream coming from the Xbox) is negligent.

Ill post some images and explanation later today.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #3,250 of 3,608
I did some blind AB-Tests with the SMSL SU-8 yesterday, comparing it to my Creative X7 using a passive switch and Virtual Audio cable and my girlfriend connecting the two DACs in random order, so I didn't know which switch setting was which DAC. There was absolutely no difference. I could not for the life of it discern between the two.

The X7 is a very nicely designed product from X7 and a real keeper for me, since it is superior feature-wise and offers tons of connection options. However, I could'nt make out any difference between different Opamps either (Burson V5-i vs AD604)

Very interesting to hear! What about with some of the different settings on the SU-8?
I've been planning to buy a SU-8 and a R2R dac sub $450 usd to go with some newly bought amps, but if the X7 Dac is really that close.. the SU-8 might be a waste of money.

Feb 23, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #3,251 of 3,608
Scout mode is useless imho and should not be used. Why spend hundreds of dollars on a good DAC/headphone amp just to make it sound like crap. :) The main benefit of the SBX (for me) is that I get positional audio cues, without sacrificing too much of the sound design in the game.

Besides neither Scout mode or SBX will affect the line in signal to that degree, in fact, I just tested the in line with a soundtrack from my phone and the effect scout and SBX has on the line in signal (opposed to the bitstream coming from the Xbox) is negligent.

Ill post some images and explanation later today.

So I was able to test again today. I swear at one point I had chat audio in both sides of the headphones at some point(my friend agreed with this). But when I tested this time, none of the settings seems to make a difference, I turned SBX/ scout mode, direct mode all on and off with no difference. I change the xbox audio settings, no difference. I went ahead and swapped the red and white RCA cables(mean red into white and vice versa, that did make the chat audio move from the right cup to the left, so perhaps the cable is bad. I can pick up another to test.

Update: So I changed the xbox speaker audio output from Dolby digital to stereo uncompressed and that fixed it, chat in both headphones. Changed it to DTS and it still worked, changed back to Dolby Digital and its still working. The odd thing is it still sounds louder(just chat not game audio) in the right cup. I used the control panel to lower the right side of of the line in and it seemed to turn both of them down, so I am thinking its a mono signal not stereo. Does that make sense?

Update 2: Internet told me I needed to provide the 3.5mm to RCA cable so I bought one on amazon, the one I have been using. But when I opened the X7 I noticed there appeared to be one. I just switched to that one and now my friend sounds louder in my left earphone. Super confused.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #3,252 of 3,608
Here is some infographic showing how to correctly connect your X7 and Mixamp Pro TR to your Xbox One.

xbox_x7_mixamp_setup.jpg

Link to high res pdf HERE

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #3,253 of 3,608
So I was able to test again today. I swear at one point I had chat audio in both sides of the headphones at some point(my friend agreed with this). But when I tested this time, none of the settings seems to make a difference, I turned SBX/ scout mode, direct mode all on and off with no difference. I change the xbox audio settings, no difference. I went ahead and swapped the red and white RCA cables(mean red into white and vice versa, that did make the chat audio move from the right cup to the left, so perhaps the cable is bad. I can pick up another to test.

Update: So I changed the xbox speaker audio output from Dolby digital to stereo uncompressed and that fixed it, chat in both headphones. Changed it to DTS and it still worked, changed back to Dolby Digital and its still working. The odd thing is it still sounds louder(just chat not game audio) in the right cup. I used the control panel to lower the right side of of the line in and it seemed to turn both of them down, so I am thinking its a mono signal not stereo. Does that make sense?

Update 2: Internet told me I needed to provide the 3.5mm to RCA cable so I bought one on amazon, the one I have been using. But when I opened the X7 I noticed there appeared to be one. I just switched to that one and now my friend sounds louder in my left earphone. Super confused.

Where do you route your chat audio from into the X7 ?

Setiings on the xbox should be as follow:

Speaker Audio

HDMI audio
Off

Optical audio
Bitstream out

Bitstream Format
Dolby Digital

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #3,254 of 3,608
Where do you route your chat audio from into the X7 ?

Setiings on the xbox should be as follow:

Speaker Audio

HDMI audio
Off

Optical audio
Bitstream out

Bitstream Format
Dolby Digital

Thanks I will take a look at that info. That is the same settings I currently have set on the Xbox. Currently I have a 3.5mm splitter connected to my xbox controller, one side has my modmic plugged in, the other side has the 3.5mm to RCA cable, which then routes to the line in on the X7, then I have my DT990 headphones plugged into the 1/4" jack on the X7.

Perhaps the splitter I am using is the wrong type? I originaly got it before the X7 when I knew I would need to plug both my headphones and mic into the controller. Maybe its not meant to do mic in and then the line out to line in on the X7, but I thought this was the proper setup.

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #3,255 of 3,608
The audio from the controller is crap, you can count on issues going that route. I have a lot of different controllers.. Stock, Elite, Razer ultimate, Razer Tournament all can behave differently with chat audio from the audio port on the controller.

The port on the stock controllers is crap, very noisy. The elite Controller would not work with chat unless I plugged in the cable in the controller first and then in the headset if I did it the other way around I got static and dropouts like crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back