Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Jul 16, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #3,032 of 3,608
Hi there,

I love my X7 and am thinking of buying the sparkos op amps. So few questions if anyone can be of help would be greatly appreciated. Why cant we use 4 SS3602s? Why 2 3602s and 2 3601s?

Also if 4 3602s cant be used which slots do the 3602s go into and where do the 3601s go in. I dont wanna mess anything up installing and asking before i purchase the op amps.

Ty for helping a newb

Hi - The difference between a single op amp like SS3601 and a dual is that duals have two independent op amps in the 8 pin package while singles only contain one. The two are not compatible as the pins and what they do are different on singles and duals. To know which ones go where you will need to look up the stock parts and see which ones are singles and which ones are the duals. Then you have to install them the correct way around. We made a video that will explain all of this, I will put the link in. It should help you do this. As mentioned, you may need to space the cover off a bit to allow the taller devices (the SS3602) to fit or the cover could be left off all together. Send me an email on our website in the link. We typically do package deals on things like this and also give discounts to forum members.

https://sparkoslabs.com/discrete-op-amps/

Jul 20, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #3,034 of 3,608
imo 2 SS3601 in a single to mono dip adapter setup will outperform one SS3602. I never tried it but in theory 2 chips will run cooler than 1 single dual and will also dissipate more power, soon I am going to try and let you know the results.

Jul 20, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #3,035 of 3,608
Im looking into getting this unit for my Xbox ONE X in my office. This xbox sits at my desk and I play on a 32" 4K monitor so im sitting fairly close to the system.

So first off my Xbox One X in the office is only for FPS gaming and sporadic Netflix, youtube (chromecast) Listenign to music and watching movies for real i do in the livingroom.

Same with Music, i have dedicated amps and speakers for that so don't really intend to do any serious music listening on the system.

I'v been using a lot of gaming headphones over the years, starting with the Tritton "true" surround sound headphones, and using various Astros (never their headphones though as i don't like them) Steelseries solution. All which has been a little hit and miss in terms of Surround sound and SQ. My most recent headphones where the Steelseries Siberio 800, which are OK for gaming, the headphones isn't that great and the sound while giving you okay surround Cues is a little muffled.

Recently i switched to a MixAmp Pro TR with a pair of Fidelio X2HR and a V-moda Boompro mic which actually works very well. A good compromise of good enough sound with surround cues. Compared to Steelseries they are better in terms of surround cues and the Philips Fidelio X2HR are of course just on another level compared to the steelseries.

Im however curious regarding the X7 and wonders if it won't do the Fidelio X2HR a little more justice as well as giving me a boost in surround sound (headphones) and SQ.

My workaround for chat with the X7 will be Xbox app on Windows 10 with a real mic feeding the signal into the X7 from the audio interface connected to the computer. If that does not work maybe a combination fo the MixAmp Pro TR and X7 will work ? (will keep the Mixamp pro TR regardless) Using the MixAMP for chat and feed the audio from the stream port into the X7 ?

Bottomline will the X7 offer me more in terms of surround sound and as a headphone amp for the Fidelio X2HR ?

Thanx in advance for any input!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #3,038 of 3,608
Im looking into getting this unit for my Xbox ONE X in my office. This xbox sits at my desk and I play on a 32" 4K monitor so im sitting fairly close to the system.

So first off my Xbox One X in the office is only for FPS gaming and sporadic Netflix, youtube (chromecast) Listenign to music and watching movies for real i do in the livingroom.

Same with Music, i have dedicated amps and speakers for that so don't really intend to do any serious music listening on the system.

I'v been using a lot of gaming headphones over the years, starting with the Tritton "true" surround sound headphones, and using various Astros (never their headphones though as i don't like them) Steelseries solution. All which has been a little hit and miss in terms of Surround sound and SQ. My most recent headphones where the Steelseries Siberio 800, which are OK for gaming, the headphones isn't that great and the sound while giving you okay surround Cues is a little muffled.

Recently i switched to a MixAmp Pro TR with a pair of Fidelio X2HR and a V-moda Boompro mic which actually works very well. A good compromise of good enough sound with surround cues. Compared to Steelseries they are better in terms of surround cues and the Philips Fidelio X2HR are of course just on another level compared to the steelseries.

Im however curious regarding the X7 and wonders if it won't do the Fidelio X2HR a little more justice as well as giving me a boost in surround sound (headphones) and SQ.

My workaround for chat with the X7 will be Xbox app on Windows 10 with a real mic feeding the signal into the X7 from the audio interface connected to the computer. If that does not work maybe a combination fo the MixAmp Pro TR and X7 will work ? (will keep the Mixamp pro TR regardless) Using the MixAMP for chat and feed the audio from the stream port into the X7 ?

Bottomline will the X7 offer me more in terms of surround sound and as a headphone amp for the Fidelio X2HR ?

Thanx in advance for any input!

Cheers!
X7 is a major improvement over the Mixamp in SQ and functionality but a major step down if chat is to be used. You can't really use Mixamp for chat as X7 can only output mic signal over USB and Bluetooth. What you can do is have the mic plugged directly into the mixamp and headphone output of the mixamp connected to RCA input on the X7 using 3.5mm to RCA cable. Bit messy but will work. Or, if you want full convenience just use the Xbox app and only output game audio from the Xbox.

SBX carries through line-out and optical out correct? So I could carry SBX through to another Amp/DAC in the chain?
Yes, once you flash the latest firmware and install newest version of the X7 Control Panel, then you can enable that feature in the Speakers tab of the panel (X7 didn't ship with that feature initially)

Jul 21, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #3,040 of 3,608
Thank for the reply! Just order the X7! Hopefully, it will arrive mid next week!

Is the firmware update straightforward? Like auto update within the control panel?

Also, anyone has any experience using the X7 on OSX ?
It's not from within Control Panel (a separate executable is used) but it's pretty straightforward nonetheless. I think @Evshrug uses his X7 with a Mac so he should be able to answer that.

Jul 21, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #3,042 of 3,608
It's not from within Control Panel (a separate executable is used) but it's pretty straightforward nonetheless. I think @Evshrug uses his X7 with a Mac so he should be able to answer that.
Yeeeeeeah, well... I don’t have an X7 anymore. Still, it is publicly stated on Creative’s support website that firmware updates are only available when launched off a Windows platform, however they also have a macOS version of their driver software. If you buy the X7 new, it should have a relatively up to date firmware (the last two or three have been pretty good), and not need much updating anyway. If the X7 is being bought used used, the previous owner could be asked to run a quick firmware update (and check that it worked) before mailing it off.

It’s nice to know that the first reviewer of this product can still be considered helpful, even in this popular thread. What did the OP say about this device’s gaming capabilities?

Ok, cool thanx!

I'm a little wary regarding the plastic build, not that i don't think it will hold up, but rather I prefer shiny heavy things compared to light plastic ones... :)
Hopefully you don’t mind a joke, but fortunately the X7 isn’t a ball and chain, but instead something that will sit on your desk unless you have to rearrange the office/apartment. Now, I did make my opinion of the headphone stand known years ago (I’m not allowed to say it now), but I can see your comment having a bearing on that stand... but still, if you look at my old review, you’ll see photos of what kind of headphones I sat on the wire hanger.

I keep talking about buying or making a system to hold and organize many headphones. In the eyes of my wife, I definitely have too many, but maybe if I could organize them to all look like they’re on display, attractively.

Jul 21, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #3,043 of 3,608
Thanx, yes im not worried about the product failing on me due to plastic fantastic build, and I won't be using the hanger so that won't be an issue. But I did notice that a lot of the reviewers had units with scuff marks, which is kind of disappointing for a product in this price range anyways.

But as long as it performs and works with my setup i will be happy. :)

Jul 22, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #3,044 of 3,608
Yes, once you flash the latest firmware and install newest version of the X7 Control Panel, then you can enable that feature in the Speakers tab of the panel (X7 didn't ship with that feature initially)

This interesting.

So my thinking initially is to get the optical signal to the X7 and then process it with SBX and then do a line-out to the MixAmp Pro TR (not using optical as i want to use the DAC of the X7, which in theory should be better than Astro's)

Xbox optical DD bitstream---> Soundblaster X7--->SBX--->Line-out--->Astro MixAmp Pro TR (connected to xbox via USB only for chat)--->Philip Fidelio X2HR with V-Moda Boompro

This way (if I'm thinking correctly) i should have the signal processed and converted by the X7 and then have the Astro Mixamp contribute with the chat. This will not require any more cables from the Mixamp than just the one to my headphones. The extra cables are between the X7 and MixAmp.

Does this make sense ? Because i think feeding signal from the mixamp pro TR will require me to split the Boompro mic and X2HR 4-pol connector and connect one to the Mixamp (mic) and one to the X7 (game audio) ?

I read on another forum someone who doubled up on the VSS and using game audio from both devices, this sound (pardon the pun) messy and risking getting delays etc.

Thread here:

https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=50416.msg588088#msg588088

Will be able to soon test enough as the X7 will arrive midweek, but thought I get some clarification beforehand so I can shop the right cables. :)

Thanx!

Jul 22, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #3,045 of 3,608
This interesting.

So my thinking initially is to get the optical signal to the X7 and then process it with SBX and then do a line-out to the MixAmp Pro TR (not using optical as i want to use the DAC of the X7, which in theory should be better than Astro's)

Xbox optical DD bitstream---> Soundblaster X7--->SBX--->Line-out--->Astro MixAmp Pro TR (connected to xbox via USB only for chat)--->Philip Fidelio X2HR with V-Moda Boompro

This way (if I'm thinking correctly) i should have the signal processed and converted by the X7 and then have the Astro Mixamp contribute with the chat. This will not require any more cables from the Mixamp than just the one to my headphones. The extra cables are between the X7 and MixAmp.

Does this make sense ? Because i think feeding signal from the mixamp pro TR will require me to split the Boompro mic and X2HR 4-pol connector and connect one to the Mixamp (mic) and one to the X7 (game audio) ?

I read on another forum someone who doubled up on the VSS and using game audio from both devices, this sound (pardon the pun) messy and risking getting delays etc.

Thread here:

https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=50416.msg588088#msg588088

Will be able to soon test enough as the X7 will arrive midweek, but thought I get some clarification beforehand so I can shop the right cables. :)

Thanx!
That will work but it would mean you'll be using the Mixamp's built-in amp instead of the X7 headphone amp. An easier method would be to connect Mixamp headphone output to RCA input of the X7. You would then eed to use the splitter (included with the boom pro) and connect one end to mixamp mic input and the other to X7 headphone output

Users who are viewing this thread

Back