Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Sep 27, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #2,672 of 3,608
Yeah, noticed that, but for whatever reason the software implementation seems different. Maybe because G5 is 7.1 vs. X7 and E5 being 5.1?

You can actually try the SB Acoustic X engine for free, it is available from Creative's website. The free version lacks EQ and is limited to presets. But, you can edit the presets with a text editor.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #2,673 of 3,608
Perhaps I'm not sure what I'm asking then. In short, then, is there a way I can run 4 passive speakers + a sub with the X7? If not, how do you/others feel about running a separate avr with speakers/sub from the X7 via an optical cable?

The X7 itself cannot directly power more than two speakers, I'd suggest getting a 5 channel external power amp, Like the Emotiva A-500 - and use the X7 as a pre-amp.

Oct 11, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #2,674 of 3,608
Hey guys, looking for some advice or recommendations on how to configure or settings to change on my Creative X7. I love this device and originally found it through this thread on here, or through the MLE gaming headphone guide thread a while ago. I originally bought it because I loved the idea of being able to have both my PS4 and PC connected to it at the same time and only use 1 pair of headphones for both devices and having a central application on my PC to adjust and change things, and the bluetooth option is cool if I ever want to connect my phone if I am continuing to listen to something from my car ride home when I get back home. It has overall improved my volume and sound quality on my computer and I love it.

My only thing is I kind of feel like footsteps and certain other things (at least in CSGO) seem to be very quiet and faint and I know part of it could be the game itself, but I feel like part of it could be my set up. I believe I have surround enabled in the Creative software and set to around 20% or so, and I think there is some sort of gunshot/footstep enhance option that I do not have enabled. I feel like I messed around with it once but it made things kind of sound weird so I disabled it. Is this something I should be using and leave enabled? Are there EQ settings or other settings in general I should adjust or be using to help improve things? Are there other/better DAC/Amp combos out there I could use that may be better suited, even if I cannot connect both my ps4 and PC at the same time? I have my windows volume set to about 20-25% typically when using it with my Creative set up and gunshots/explosions and general sound seems to be audible and at good volumes but I am wondering if there is anything I can do to help improve footstep audio in game. I am using the Creative X7 paired with a pair of AKG 7xx's right now. I also have an order in through Massdrop for the HD 6xx headphones that I am hoping to get later in the year. I will be trying those out when I eventually get them, not sure or decided on which I will be using as my primary headphones until I get to test both, if that matters at all.

Oct 11, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #2,675 of 3,608
Hey guys, looking for some advice or recommendations on how to configure or settings to change on my Creative X7. I love this device and originally found it through this thread on here, or through the MLE gaming headphone guide thread a while ago. I originally bought it because I loved the idea of being able to have both my PS4 and PC connected to it at the same time and only use 1 pair of headphones for both devices and having a central application on my PC to adjust and change things, and the bluetooth option is cool if I ever want to connect my phone if I am continuing to listen to something from my car ride home when I get back home. It has overall improved my volume and sound quality on my computer and I love it.

My only thing is I kind of feel like footsteps and certain other things (at least in CSGO) seem to be very quiet and faint and I know part of it could be the game itself, but I feel like part of it could be my set up. I believe I have surround enabled in the Creative software and set to around 20% or so, and I think there is some sort of gunshot/footstep enhance option that I do not have enabled. I feel like I messed around with it once but it made things kind of sound weird so I disabled it. Is this something I should be using and leave enabled? Are there EQ settings or other settings in general I should adjust or be using to help improve things? Are there other/better DAC/Amp combos out there I could use that may be better suited, even if I cannot connect both my ps4 and PC at the same time? I have my windows volume set to about 20-25% typically when using it with my Creative set up and gunshots/explosions and general sound seems to be audible and at good volumes but I am wondering if there is anything I can do to help improve footstep audio in game. I am using the Creative X7 paired with a pair of AKG 7xx's right now. I also have an order in through Massdrop for the HD 6xx headphones that I am hoping to get later in the year. I will be trying those out when I eventually get them, not sure or decided on which I will be using as my primary headphones until I get to test both, if that matters at all.
Can't say about CS GO, but for game like PUBG its much better to disable ALL sound enhancements/virtual surrounds, etc. Its native binaural audio is way better(may assume same in most modern games). If you turn Virt Surround like SBX or any other analog it amplifies ambient noise so footsteps definitely sound worse. I did extensive A/B testing. So basically for modern games all you need in nice DAC(x7 is pretty good) and nice pair of open cans. IMO Senns HD700 is the best gaming phones ever built. You add ModMic there and this is just awesome. The widest sound stage and comfort( I've tried HD800 but they're not comfy at all to me). I had HD650 and now they collecting dust since HD700 is waay better, its not even comparable since HD700 has way softer clamping force and bigger earspace, so you can play for many hours w/o fatigue. You may try to find used paid if new HD700 is above your price range. Try side by side 650 and 700 and you'll never come back to 650. And after installing HD700 Mod Kit from Mod House Audio this is my go to phones for music along with Z7 and Z1R.

Good luck.

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #2,676 of 3,608

In Windows Sound Settings set the X7 to 5.1 mode.
In game set the output to 5.1 speakers
In X7 Control Panel disable Direct Mode
In X7 Control Panel Set SBX to 100%
In X7 Control Panel disable all other enhancements.

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #2,677 of 3,608
Can't say about CS GO, but for game like PUBG its much better to disable ALL sound enhancements/virtual surrounds, etc. Its native binaural audio is way better(may assume same in most modern games).
Good luck.
It is literally the opposite of that.

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #2,678 of 3,608

Just wanted to back up this statement. 70%-100% VSS is the sweet spot. Leave everything else turned off (you can use EQ, but remember it changes the sound, more bass, most likely less footsteps heard).

Still love my X7, but getting anxious for the A16 Smyth Research Realizer. Hoping to get it by Christmas. Delays are KILLING me! All paid up!

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #2,679 of 3,608
I have heard quite a bit to disable things like SBX and virtual surround sound which is why I had it turned down to only about 20% as when I set it higher I felt like things sounded weirder and more spacey and far away if that makes any sense, I will try turning it up and off completely and test further. It seems like every answer you get is contradictory for this question lol, one person says to completely disable it, the other says to fully max it out (not you guys specifically, just over time the answers I have seen). My windows settings are set up correctly as 5.1 and my settings in game are typically set to 5.1 but I will play around with SBX a bit more. Even if the "surround" is turned up, will that necessarily help with "foot steps" sounding louder or is that more of an EQ setting.

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #2,680 of 3,608
Just wanted to back up this statement. 70%-100% VSS is the sweet spot. Leave everything else turned off (you can use EQ, but remember it changes the sound, more bass, most likely less footsteps heard).

Still love my X7, but getting anxious for the A16 Smyth Research Realizer. Hoping to get it by Christmas. Delays are KILLING me! All paid up!
I just looked that up, looks very interesting and like there is a lot of input options and other things you can do with it, I love that it in itself is a headphone stand. Dat price tag tho is out of my price range anytime soon o.O

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #2,681 of 3,608
Can't say about CS GO, but for game like PUBG its much better to disable ALL sound enhancements/virtual surrounds, etc. Its native binaural audio is way better(may assume same in most modern games). If you turn Virt Surround like SBX or any other analog it amplifies ambient noise so footsteps definitely sound worse. I did extensive A/B testing. So basically for modern games all you need in nice DAC(x7 is pretty good) and nice pair of open cans. IMO Senns HD700 is the best gaming phones ever built. You add ModMic there and this is just awesome. The widest sound stage and comfort( I've tried HD800 but they're not comfy at all to me). I had HD650 and now they collecting dust since HD700 is waay better, its not even comparable since HD700 has way softer clamping force and bigger earspace, so you can play for many hours w/o fatigue. You may try to find used paid if new HD700 is above your price range. Try side by side 650 and 700 and you'll never come back to 650. And after installing HD700 Mod Kit from Mod House Audio this is my go to phones for music along with Z7 and Z1R.

Good luck.

Headphones are completely user dependent. HD650/HD6XX IMO are terrible for gaming. One of the worst I've personally heard. Hifiman HE-X V2 is my favorite by a good margin. Monoprice M1060 is my favorite that is affordable (mine are modded with Audeze Vegan pads and other tweeks). Under $400 if you can find the Vegan pads.

The AKG K7XX or other varient are really good for sound whoring, very large soundstage, and for me, super comfortable for long gaming sessions. My K702 65th anniversary served me very well for 5 years before I started dumping tons of money into this hobby. I also really like the Massdrop PC37X as an entry level priced headset that's great for gaming.

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #2,682 of 3,608
Maybe depends on a particular game.

YMMV, as I said I've tried only w PUBG, since its the only 1 game I currently play that require positional audio, and SBX makes ambient noise louder.

Other games I don't mind since they dont have that high level ambient noise.

Monoprice M1060
Have them as well, great [hones but too heavy. Like the heaviest I owe. 30 min in game and I want to take them off.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #2,683 of 3,608
I just looked that up, looks very interesting and like there is a lot of input options and other things you can do with it, I love that it in itself is a headphone stand. Dat price tag tho is out of my price range anytime soon o.O

If I didn't live in an apartment, I'd have a full blown 7.2.4 surround sound speaker setup. This is the next best thing, and takes up no space at all. I went for the 2U model, which is a rack mount (rectangle) box. The headphone stand option just doesn't fit in my place.

I'll use it for movies and gaming, and I'm hoping I can use it with my 2 channel system to change things up. Either way, this is the device I've waited many years for (height channels are hardly new).

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #2,684 of 3,608
Maybe depends on a particular game.

YMMV, as I said I've tried only w PUBG, since its the only 1 game I currently play that require positional audio, and SBX makes ambient noise louder.

Other games I don't mind since they dont have that high level ambient noise.

Have them as well, great [hones but too heavy. Like the heaviest I owe. 30 min in game and I want to take them off.

They fit my head well. Most of the weight is balanced for me and I have no issues wearing them for long periods. That sucks that you can't wear them long. They're a lot lighter than the LCD 2, which many complain about the weight.

Oct 11, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #2,685 of 3,608
Headphones are completely user dependent. HD650/HD6XX IMO are terrible for gaming. One of the worst I've personally heard. Hifiman HE-X V2 is my favorite by a good margin. Monoprice M1060 is my favorite that is affordable (mine are modded with Audeze Vegan pads and other tweeks). Under $400 if you can find the Vegan pads.

The AKG K7XX or other varient are really good for sound whoring, very large soundstage, and for me, super comfortable for long gaming sessions. My K702 65th anniversary served me very well for 5 years before I started dumping tons of money into this hobby. I also really like the Massdrop PC37X as an entry level priced headset that's great for gaming.
Yeah it seems like everyone is a little different and prefers different headphones or hears thing slightly differently through them. At the moment I am pretty happy with my K7xx's and don't really plan on trying to replace them soon or spending a lot of money on headphones soon. They are only about a year or 2 old, I have money invested in the HD 6xx's already which I probably won't receive for another 2+ months, I also have a pair of AT ATH-7xx's which are currently sitting around as my backup headphones that I replaced with the AKG K7xx. Even a new DAC or AMP I would like to not spend money on anytime soon, I'd like to just find and optimal setup or way to improve my setup, but as with everything else I will have an upgrade itch in a year or 2 and wan to replace things and buy more but...I have enough (I know a lot less than other people) money invested into everything right now to go and start buying more headphones lol. I also am not really close to anywhere that I can go and test out these audiophile headphones before I buy them which sucks. I will try messing around with my SBX settings and start there and go from there. Of course now that someone linked this A16 Smyth Research Realizer now I just want to buy that, but that's as much money as I was about to dump into a new PC build and I don't think I am ready to spend 2k on a DAC/AMP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back