Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Sep 3, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #2,641 of 3,608
Perhaps I'm not sure what I'm asking then. In short, then, is there a way I can run 4 passive speakers + a sub with the X7? If not, how do you/others feel about running a separate avr with speakers/sub from the X7 via an optical cable?

http://img.creative.com/files/guide/X7/SBX7_FAQ_EN.pdf
According to the FAQ Manual/Connectivity to Speakers/point number 10.
10. Can I connect more than 2 passive speakers to the Sound Blaster X7? The Sound Blaster X7 supports stereo, 2-channel audio output, and should only be connected to only 2 passive speakers at any one time.

I'm a layman so my explanation will not be very precise.

1) It is stated "only 2 passive speakers" so it is safest not to.

2) Having 2 speaker for each channel does not bring any improvement to sound as they are producing same sound. It might even degrade the sound as some frequency might cancel each other out.

3) You can try at your own risk for no improvement to audio (which I will question why do it in the first place). Before doing that make sure you fully understand about amplifier output impedance, electrical engineering stuff (serial and parallel electrical connection and calculating impedance), even before trying, you run the risk of frying your x7.

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #2,643 of 3,608
Anyone here compared AMP part with Audeze Deckard combo?

Not sure what you're asking. Do you mean use the internal headphone amp versus the Audeze from the RCA outs of the X7 (with VSS added)?

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #2,645 of 3,608
Yes but without VSS.

Just music wise, using Audeze AMP from X7 DAC via RCA vs Audeze AMP from Audeze DAC.

I replaced the op amps in my X7, which improved the overall sound. Stock, the X7 is still pretty darn good, even just as a DAC for music. I like the Burr Brown chip in the X7. Also you have a built in EQ, which is always a nice addition. I could and am happy using the X7 just as a DAC, into my MicroZOTL2.

You get a lot for the $299 sale price that often comes up. Expect sales of it to pop up more as we get closer to Christmas.

Sep 25, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #2,646 of 3,608
X7 looks great but I don't need many of its features like speakers amp.

And I also may miss some Asus features like its Sonic Radar for games like PUBG.

If I dont use X7 usb connectivity and feed SPDIF to X7 from Asus sound card, that allows Sonic Radar, will I benefit from X7's SBX pro studio?

Or SBX works only when usb is connected?

As far as I understand SPDIF signal will be processed by X7's DAC as well as usb signal, so what is the advantage on using usb over optical?

Sep 25, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #2,647 of 3,608
You would set the playback source to the Realtek SPDIF (or whatever) and the X7 would still process the sound with it's effects, if you turn them on. You can toggle all of the currently enabled SBX settings on/off with the button on the front. However to change all those settings, including equalizer, surround level strength, microphone settings, headphone gain, and "Scout Mode", you need to interface with the software application. You need the USB connected to the PC for direct access or you can also do it through the cell phone app. It's a lot easier to use the control panel through the PC, so connect the USB anyway, even if it's not going to be the audio channel.

Creative has their own version of Sonic Radar in the Scout Mode settings. I can't give you a comparison and I don't use either. There may be other reasons to use SPDIF vs. USB for sound quality, but I don't know how sonic radar will fare when processed again. Regardless, there is another system available if you want it. With good headphones I hear the nuances and direction anyway, but the surround sound balance is the golden feature for me. One of the big complaints in headphones for gaming is too much separation. This is an easy fix with X7.

USB vs. Optical in terms of sound quality is a debatable point. I ran into some trouble recently with USB, but it has turned out to be drivers clashing. I can always work around the problem by using the optical cable. The X7 will retain all the settings without the need for the control panel to be active or the USB cable connected.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #2,648 of 3,608
Hi guys, I'm looking at the prices of the LE vs the normal black X7. There is about a £175 difference between the LE and the normal edition. Is there that much of a difference to justify the price difference?

Sep 25, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #2,649 of 3,608
Hi guys, I'm looking at the prices of the LE vs the normal black X7. There is about a £175 difference between the LE and the normal edition. Is there that much of a difference to justify the price difference?
No. Go with the standard one. Power supply can be upgraded later.

Sep 25, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #2,653 of 3,608
I replaced the op amps in my X7, which improved the overall sound

Is that something that average man can do using pliers and plug and play tech? Or it involves soldering skills?

You would set the playback source to the Realtek SPDIF (or whatever)
Creative has their own version of Sonic Radar in the Scout Mode settings.

Sonic Radar is just sound amplification of certain frequencies to hear steps farther and better, but in games like PUBG it amplifies ambient noise as well, so SBX only is the way to go there.

So basically you keep it connected via USB and it still drives headphone with all applied effects even when X7 isn't selected as an output in win10? Same applies to analog line input to X7 or just optical?

Sep 25, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #2,654 of 3,608
Is that something that average man can do using pliers and plug and play tech? Or it involves soldering skills?

Sonic Radar is just sound amplification of certain frequencies to hear steps farther and better, but in games like PUBG it amplifies ambient noise as well, so SBX only is the way to go there.

So basically you keep it connected via USB and it still drives headphone with all applied effects even when X7 isn't selected as an output in win10? Same applies to analog line input to X7 or just optical?
No, you just need a pair of pliers (or fingers and zero ****s to give)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back