Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Jul 30, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #2,611 of 3,608
You guys confinced me to go for an x7, i'll be on the look out for a good deal. Don't know why im so hyped for the x7;p

Awesome! I really think you're going to be impressed. Welcome to the club (hopefully sooner than later). Looking forward to your impressions!

Aug 1, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #2,613 of 3,608
I’ve a pair active speakers with optical in, can I use the optical out on x7 to the speakers? I.e not using the amp-part.
You can do that but why would You want to buy the X7 if You're not using the built-in dac or amp?

Aug 1, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #2,615 of 3,608
Welp, after failing to get around the Mic woes with the 3.5mm jack I am just going to run a USB audio interface for communications... Kind of a bummer considering this is made for gamers but I'm guessing comms weren't very thought out. I only say this since when the 1/4" jack is used the speakers are disengaged. Making say a " Raid" situation quite annoying with ALL sound coming through your cans or just voip itself. Hoping a firmware in the future can fix this with the option of running an external amp for your headphones in the x7 software so the internal amp can still power the speaker set up. But, alas; one more USB slot on my mobo ate by the audio interface. Here's hoping X8 is upgraded with high end mics and cans in mind(700 ohm max instead of 600).

Aug 2, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #2,616 of 3,608
Welp, after failing to get around the Mic woes with the 3.5mm jack I am just going to run a USB audio interface for communications... Kind of a bummer considering this is made for gamers but I'm guessing comms weren't very thought out. I only say this since when the 1/4" jack is used the speakers are disengaged. Making say a " Raid" situation quite annoying with ALL sound coming through your cans or just voip itself. Hoping a firmware in the future can fix this with the option of running an external amp for your headphones in the x7 software so the internal amp can still power the speaker set up. But, alas; one more USB slot on my mobo ate by the audio interface. Here's hoping X8 is upgraded with high end mics and cans in mind(700 ohm max instead of 600).
See if this will help with the mic: https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Ground-...ords=hum+eliminator&psc=1&smid=A1E57UY6AMKO25

You can run both an external amp and the internal speaker amp at the same time. Switch to output to amp + preamp outs in the Speakers settings.

Also, no such thing as 700ohm headphones. 600ohm are a rarity.

Aug 2, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #2,617 of 3,608
See if this will help with the mic: https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Ground-...ords=hum+eliminator&psc=1&smid=A1E57UY6AMKO25

You can run both an external amp and the internal speaker amp at the same time. Switch to output to amp + preamp outs in the Speakers settings.

Also, no such thing as 700ohm headphones. 600ohm are a rarity.

LCD-2's very soft thru it, my Blueberry's Preamp Gain and level are maxed as well as volume maxed thru software and can barely hear myself or very distorted(same with just a phantom power unit and have tried a mono 1/4 to 1/8 to bypass Preamp to make sure it's not that). everytime I plug my cans in the 1/4 all sound comes thru them, you're saying I can get around that?

Aug 2, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #2,619 of 3,608
Has anyone used the optical out on the X7 to a Chord Mojo? With an HD800s, would doing that be any sort of improvement? Would the Mojo's DAC, which is kind of a unique integrated DAC/amp, maintain the VSS encoding? Not sure if that is a dumb question or not...

2nd question: when you select headphone/optical out, can you preserve the EQ settings, or are those disabled?

Aug 3, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #2,620 of 3,608
Has anyone used the optical out on the X7 to a Chord Mojo? With an HD800s, would doing that be any sort of improvement? Would the Mojo's DAC, which is kind of a unique integrated DAC/amp, maintain the VSS encoding? Not sure if that is a dumb question or not...

2nd question: when you select headphone/optical out, can you preserve the EQ settings, or are those disabled?
The VSS is preserved if you enable Virtual Surround to Line/OPtical out in Speakers tab. As for the improvement @Evshrug plays like that, he should be able to answer that.

Aug 3, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #2,621 of 3,608
Hello everyone! I have some questions about SBX7.
In review at OP-posts saying:

The SB-Axx1™ DSP is a multi-channel digital audio mixer and signal processor, capable of processing up to 32 concurrent audio channels, at up to 24 bit 96 kHz per channel.

and

-"Imagine there is an input selector for the DAC, with 3 input selections:
1. Direct Mode: Audio signal directly from USB input (computer); up to 24bit - 192kHz.
2. SPDIF-In Direct: Audio signal directly from SPDIF input; up to 24bit - 192kHz.
3. SB-Axx1™ DSP Playback Mix: Audio signal from the DSP playback mix; up to 24bit - 96kHz."

What does this actually mean? In input-mode #3 I can select 24/192 at windows audio control panel and only with 5.1 settings it limitting to 24/96. And... Why is OP-post talking about 24/96 limitation by DSP? How I can feel it?

2w2Sy.png

Aug 3, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #2,622 of 3,608
Hello everyone! I have some questions about SBX7.
In review at OP-posts saying:

and

What does this actually mean? In input-mode #3 I can select 24/192 at windows audio control panel and only with 5.1 settings it limitting to 24/96. And... Why is OP-post talking about 24/96 limitation by DSP? How I can feel it?

2w2Sy.png

Optical can only support 24/96 surround sound through optical. That's a physical limitation of S/PDIF optical. You can do 24/192 for music.

Aug 4, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #2,623 of 3,608
I am continually impressed by this device. I recently switched out my NAD D 3020 from running my floorstanders (Polk Monitor 70's) to the X7, non LE. It easily gets them uncomfortably loud. Neither of these amps are really meant for floorstanders but in an apartment building, with wood floors...they get it done.

Aug 4, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #2,625 of 3,608
The best? Sparkos, SS3601 (2) and SS3602 (2). Email the owner, it's in his website. Tell him you're a Head-fi member and see if he'll discount the 4 total. He did for me ($200 total).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back