Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Aug 4, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #2,626 of 3,608
The best? Sparkos, SS3601 (2) and SS3602 (2). Email the owner, it's in his website. Tell him you're a Head-fi member and see if he'll discount the 4 total. He did for me ($200 total).
I was just looking into the AD8597 mentioned in the OP, because these TH900s I just got are a bit bright, and I need to tame the treble a touch. When I search for it though I find like 6 different kinds. http://www.mouser.com/Analog-Device...ers/AD8597-Series/_/N-9rtls?P=1yyhd17Z1yyh4l4

Aug 5, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #2,627 of 3,608
The best? Sparkos, SS3601 (2) and SS3602 (2). Email the owner, it's in his website. Tell him you're a Head-fi member and see if he'll discount the 4 total. He did for me ($200 total).
I'm looking deeper into these Sparkos, and I'm def considering them. I got a Mimby, so I'm not using the X7 DAC. Do I need to replace all 4 op amps? Or just two? Which two?

Aug 6, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #2,628 of 3,608
Do all 4. The duals make the larger difference, but they're the expensive ones. Just buy all four, you'll thank me later. Email him and mention this thread. He'll hook you up.

Aug 7, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #2,629 of 3,608
I ordered all 4 Sparkos. Can't wait to drop them in. My X7 arrived today. Got to play with it a bit. Haven't A/B'd with Mimby/Magni 2 too much yet. I briefly hooked mimby to the line-in on the X7, but I had some popping/distrotion problems. I gotta try that again and mess around with the settings tomorrow. My main concern right now is the control panel software. I had a TON of trouble with the "headphone surround to line/optical out" option. Every time I enable it, the X7 control panel software lags so bad that I can't even maneuver around it. Anyone else have this problem?

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #2,630 of 3,608
I ordered all 4 Sparkos. Can't wait to drop them in. My X7 arrived today. Got to play with it a bit. Haven't A/B'd with Mimby/Magni 2 too much yet. I briefly hooked mimby to the line-in on the X7, but I had some popping/distrotion problems. I gotta try that again and mess around with the settings tomorrow. My main concern right now is the control panel software. I had a TON of trouble with the "headphone surround to line/optical out" option. Every time I enable it, the X7 control panel software lags so bad that I can't even maneuver around it. Anyone else have this problem?
How are you connecting to the X7? It shouldn't lag unless you're using Bluetooth, in which case the performance is extremely slow.

I send the headphone surround out via line out and have no problems navigating the software when hardlined via lightning cable through the USB Host port.

Aug 8, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #2,631 of 3,608
How are you connecting to the X7? It shouldn't lag unless you're using Bluetooth, in which case the performance is extremely slow.

I send the headphone surround out via line out and have no problems navigating the software when hardlined via lightning cable through the USB Host port.
I'm on USB. I booted it up just now after work and went to play with the option again. It lets me enable it fine now.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #2,632 of 3,608
The short version of a long story is my X7 was dropping sound in games, but not playing audio. It turns out the original USB micro cable was failing, but during the troubleshooting process I used an optical cable from something else. I kept thinking the optical sounded better, but now that I am back to normal and can do A/B listening it is more or less the same, with one exception. Direct Mode on the optical is a clear head above direct mode over the USB. It isn't even very close. I tend not to use Direct Mode often. My HD 700's require some balancing, even with OP amp changes and a Black Dragon cable. Older tracks get too much separation and sometimes even use low level surround to balance that out. However the optical direct mode is wonderful. The difference in live music is astounding and so much more immersive. Absolutely no balancing required. I was sure I was imagining it, but now with a brand new USB cable and Direct Mode A/B listening, it is still a easy winner. This is at standard bit and sample rates and the difference carries over at 24-96K.

Can anyone think of a valid reason for this? The source is my main PC which has a lot going on a boatload of other USB connections. I am not sure if that factors in or not and in standard mode there is no real difference. Still, the optical cable is so much better when in Direct Mode. Could it be the cable is better? It's not audiophile grade, but probably better than a cheap mirco usb.

Aug 10, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #2,633 of 3,608
The short version of a long story is my X7 was dropping sound in games, but not playing audio. It turns out the original USB micro cable was failing, but during the troubleshooting process I used an optical cable from something else. I kept thinking the optical sounded better, but now that I am back to normal and can do A/B listening it is more or less the same, with one exception. Direct Mode on the optical is a clear head above direct mode over the USB. It isn't even very close. I tend not to use Direct Mode often. My HD 700's require some balancing, even with OP amp changes and a Black Dragon cable. Older tracks get too much separation and sometimes even use low level surround to balance that out. However the optical direct mode is wonderful. The difference in live music is astounding and so much more immersive. Absolutely no balancing required. I was sure I was imagining it, but now with a brand new USB cable and Direct Mode A/B listening, it is still a easy winner. This is at standard bit and sample rates and the difference carries over at 24-96K.

Can anyone think of a valid reason for this? The source is my main PC which has a lot going on a boatload of other USB connections. I am not sure if that factors in or not and in standard mode there is no real difference. Still, the optical cable is so much better when in Direct Mode. Could it be the cable is better? It's not audiophile grade, but probably better than a cheap mirco usb.
Maybe sub par power output over the USB port from your motherboard. Check out one of those "decrapifiers," like the Schiit Wyrd.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #2,634 of 3,608
I think that does seem the most likely. I have never quite been able to get the pops out of the X7 or my separate USB desktop speakers. Besides the mechanical click inside the X7, I always get a little pop in the ear when switching into direct mode on USB, but none when over optical. The whole things run on UPS, so I don't think line quality is an issue. I have tried all the other ports (there are 10 of them), but is more of the same. I suppose I could get creative and run an adapter from one of the onboard USB sockets, but at this point I might as well take the simple option and use the optical.

Aug 19, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #2,636 of 3,608
My pc (running on windows 10) detects my creative x7 but not creative software (http://imgur.com/a/P9PHD). I have updated the firmware and the creative software to the lastest. The x7 is working but i can't access the setting and function. will very much appreciate any help. thank you.
Try a reset. When the unit is on, press and hold the SBX button, then (while still holding the SBX button), press and hold the power button too. The buttons will flash a couple times, then let go. See if that helps.

Sep 2, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #2,638 of 3,608
I have a question about how I can hook up four passive speakers to my X7 (special edition). I currently have it set up with two passive speakers and a subwoofer, using banana plugs on the two main output terminals on the back of the unit and the sub on the line out. But I'm confused how I can hook up an additional two passive speakers. Do I have to run all of the speakers through the sub? I'm not sure if my sub can do this properly (it's a Sony SA-CS9). Can someone please help me? I have the manual for the X7 and googled around, but found nothing specific! /newb
thanks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back