Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Mar 27, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #2,446 of 3,608
Has anyone experienced and issue when having another USB audio device hooked to the computer with the X7? 

I recently got some Bose Companion 5s for my birthday and ever since they also got hooked up my X7 has been acting weird. The X7 now only controls my system volume but not the volume of everything all at once like it used too. It's pretty annoying because now I have to go into the mixer menu to adjust the optical in when playing games vs just adjusting the over all system volume. Also it seems like the X7 is stuck at a certain percentage now and I cant get it too go lower or higher even when adjusting the mixer sliders. It will go higher only for any media played via the computer however, but nothing else.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #2,448 of 3,608

It's a vicious cycle, there needs to be a thread so the people hear about a particular product but the people first need to hear about said product to create a thread for it.
So, in order to break this cycle I've created a separate thread for discrete opamps discussion here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/842335/discrete-op-amps-discussion-thread

It's mostly placeholder now but I'll keep adding to it as the time goes

I'm eight reviews in and I still have no idea what I'm doing.
Is it okay if I link to Your Burson V5i review in the newly-created thread?

@mbyrnes - same question

If there is anyone else I forgot about who posted their review/impressions and would like it added to the thread please reach out.

You can absolutely use my review. I'll have the Burson V5 review up soon. They do make a difference and it is nice you are taking the initiative to get a thread going to talk about it!

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #2,449 of 3,608
  Does the sparko labs op amp reduce X7's hiss in any way ?

I get no hiss at all from the X7. My power supply is on the floor, so it is a good 3' away from the unit. I also listen at really loud volumes, so I am positive it is quiet. 

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #2,450 of 3,608
I get no hiss at all from the X7. My power supply is on the floor, so it is a good 3' away from the unit. I also listen at really loud volumes, so I am positive it is quiet. 

I specifically tested my X7 for hiss last night. Ramped up the volume to max (without music playing) and it was black. No hiss that I could hear at all.

As soon as my BT-W2 connects from my PS4, I do get an audible hiss. My guess is that the USB ports on the PS4 pro are noisy and that my headphones are relatively sensitive.

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #2,451 of 3,608
I specifically tested my X7 for hiss last night. Ramped up the volume to max (without music playing) and it was black. No hiss that I could hear at all.

As soon as my BT-W2 connects from my PS4, I do get an audible hiss. My guess is that the USB ports on the PS4 pro are noisy and that my headphones are relatively sensitive.

That sucks. I do not have a PS4, but I do have the BT-W2 (don't currently use it). I'd love a PS4 but no optical out on the regular version rules it out. I have no desire for a Pro at this time. Rumors are starting that Sony is going to release another updated model at E3. If I can get the PS4 regular with optical I am all in. Finally enough games that I can justify owning it along with my Xbox One that I adore. 

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #2,452 of 3,608

I can test with some sensitive IEMs later tonight. I use Sennheiser PC360 and HD 700 and haven't noticed a hiss.

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #2,453 of 3,608

Seriously, try plugging the X7 straight into a wall or a separate power strip. My noise problems disappeared after I did that. Interestingly enough, the hiss was audible only with V5i duals installed.

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #2,454 of 3,608
Seriously, try plugging the X7 straight into a wall or a separate power strip. My noise problems disappeared after I did that. Interestingly enough, the hiss was audible only with V5i duals installed.

The problem, in my case, is the BT-W2. It's minor and I leave it unplugged when gaming solo. Even the hiss is relatively minor, but it's there if go looking for it. Unless changing where I plug-in my PS4 would make a difference, I think it's probably a product of a noisy USB port. Had similar noisy USB issues in the past, back to my original PS4 and MacBook Pro.

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #2,455 of 3,608
Anyone ever try using a USB isolator for this sort of thing?  Itll break the ground loop between the PC and any subsequent equipment.  Plugging things into the same outlet strip helps and it sometimes helps to bust off the third prong on power cables.  Its likely not advised but - I do it all the time to float scopes and things. 

Things like this for the USB isolator. 

http://www.bb-elec.com/Products/USB-Connectivity/USB-Isolators.aspx

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #2,456 of 3,608
Nope, I unplugged the Bose and it started working fine. 

Looks like the X7 doesn't want to play nice when both of them are connected, the Bose work just fine when they are. 

Quote:
  Is it in Direct Mode?

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #2,457 of 3,608
  Anyone ever try using a USB isolator for this sort of thing?  Itll break the ground loop between the PC and any subsequent equipment.  Plugging things into the same outlet strip helps and it sometimes helps to bust off the third prong on power cables.  Its likely not advised but - I do it all the time to float scopes and things. 

Things like this for the USB isolator. 

http://www.bb-elec.com/Products/USB-Connectivity/USB-Isolators.aspx

Would it help to use a power strip with built-in ground loop isolation? Or is that going too far?

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #2,458 of 3,608
Depends on what they mean by "ground loop isolation" and how they achieve that.  Ive seen what are supposed to be "Isloation transformers" but the third prong ground goes across the isolation barrier as a piece of wire.  To me - that aint really isolated. Some may just put a large choke in that ground, and claim some type of high frequency or RF isolation and ground loop breaking, but again that isnt really what we are trying to do here.  Dont get me started on the evils of that third prong ground.  Ha.  

Do you know what they do to achieve this "built in ground loop isolation" ?

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #2,459 of 3,608
the best solution is to use an online UPS , it basically turns outlet's AC to DC and then regenerates a pure and clean AC from the DC using an inverter....I bought a used/cheap one (200 bucks) a few months back....

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #2,460 of 3,608
  the best solution is to use an online UPS , it basically turns outlet's AC to DC and then regenerates a pure and clean AC from the DC using an inverter....I bought a used/cheap one (200 bucks) a few months back....

Are those UPS isolated?To really check one would have to look for continuity between the third prong ground on the input side and the third prong on the output sides. If the ohm meter says its a piece of wire between those two - then to me its not really isolated.    Sometimes they dont isolate this third prong for safety regulation reasons - but to me, that is what we are REALLY trying to isolate. This aside, the claimed isolation for things like this tends to apply for the line itself - not the ground.  But remember that the third prong ground is connected to the Neutral (1 side of the line) back at the breaker box.  So right away, by virtue of this ground,  one side of the line isnt really isolated either if it sneaks through on the third prong ground by way of the breaker box. Such are the evils of this third prong ground and associated misnomers surrounding the terms "Isolation" as it applies to UPS supplies and "isolation transformers" and the like. 

If you do this ohm meter test though, unplug everything but know that the battery may be keeping the outputs live.  You can still check the continuity at this point - just be sure you hit the third prong ground with your ohm meter and dont "wrong hole it." 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back