Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Apr 5, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #2,476 of 3,608
I did some further investigation using the udial.wav - resampling test. I think many of you know that - it's an audio file with 44.1 Khz sampling rate filled with a signal especially made to cause HEAVY distortion when going through (bad) resamplers. Actually so loud distortions that it can destroy your speakers.

So I connected some cheap speakers to the X7 line-out and tested in DSP mode with several Windows sampling rate settings. Most interesting result: When you set Windows to 44.1 Khz and play the udial.wav in DSP mode, you get extremely distorted sound. It is really screaming out of the speakers.

So with these settings Windows mixer is doing nothing and just sends the 44.1 Khz audio from the file to the X7. That you get distortion in this case means that the DSP is indeed doing some resampling.
I tested all sampling rate settings in Windows and found out that the only setting where you don't get any resampling artifacts is 48 Khz.

As a result, this means two things:

1. The resampling algorithms built into the sound mixer of Windows 10 are really really good, so that you don't even get distortions with a test file especially made to cause distortions
2. The DSP of the X7 is resampling everything to 48 Khz, and if the incoming signal is not 48 Khz, it does a worse job than Windows 10 software algorithms.

To rule out a problem with the DAC, I tested it as well in direct mode. There I got no distortion at 44.1 Khz output. That means the X7 correctly set the DAC to sampling rate of incoming audio signal, but only in direct mode!

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #2,477 of 3,608
Finally got my X7 back. They just sent me a new one. Wasn't as painless as I was expecting.

I need to test the dac section put vs my Schiit Mimby.

@lenroot77, how are you liking your Schiit Gumby? Is it a huge step up from the X7's dac and the Mimby?

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #2,480 of 3,608
Hi everyone. First of all, thank you for all of your comments and words of advice so far; to someone like me, who's very new to this world, it's been great to read.

I'm currently looking at purchasing an X7. My current setup for PS4 gaming is a V-Moda Boom Mic Pro on a pair of Phillips X2's plugged into an Astro MixAmp. And while that's okay, I know it could be a lot better.

I understand there's the Creative BT-W2 which allows mic chat on the PS4.

This is more than likely a really stupid question, so I do apologise in advance, but so I can fully understand how it'd look, am I right in thinking that the X7 could sit next to my PS4, connected via optical, with the BT-W2 plugged into one of the USB ports, and my X2's plugged directly into the X7? Is that it? So it'd only be one wire to the X7? My current setup has three wires running across the floor and it's really messy.

I sit about five metres from my TV so it'd mean getting some form of cable to extend the V-Moda cable, as it's relatively short, but any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #2,481 of 3,608
Hi everyone. First of all, thank you for all of your comments and words of advice so far; to someone like me, who's very new to this world, it's been great to read.

I'm currently looking at purchasing an X7. My current setup for PS4 gaming is a V-Moda Boom Mic Pro on a pair of Phillips X2's plugged into an Astro MixAmp. And while that's okay, I know it could be a lot better.

I understand there's the Creative BT-W2 which allows mic chat on the PS4.

This is more than likely a really stupid question, so I do apologise in advance, but so I can fully understand how it'd look, am I right in thinking that the X7 could sit next to my PS4, connected via optical, with the BT-W2 plugged into one of the USB ports, and my X2's plugged directly into the X7? Is that it? So it'd only be one wire to the X7? My current setup has three wires running across the floor and it's really messy.

I sit about five metres from my TV so it'd mean getting some form of cable to extend the V-Moda cable, as it's relatively short, but any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Yup, that's exactly how it works.

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #2,482 of 3,608
Yup, that's exactly how it works.

Many thanks Yethal. I thought so, but I wanted to double check to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

One last question, for anyone who uses the V-Moda Boom Mic with the X7 and PS4, how did you go about extending the cable? Would an adapter have any kind of impact on the sound quality? What's the best option?

Thanks again.

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #2,483 of 3,608
I'm debating whether I should upgrade my DAC from the X7, but keep it for gaming.

Can anyone compare their impressions of the X7's dac vs higher-end ones.

I'm trying to figure out whether I should upgrade my DAC or headphones.

I'm currently rocking a Cavalli Liquid Carbon, E-MU Teak and ibasso It03. I might buy a MrSpeakers Aeon as well.

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #2,484 of 3,608
Anyone experience a raised noise floor with their x7? I used to only have a background buzz with the X2 or X00 above 50 volume high gain, but now I'm getting it with the K712 and HE400I which were silent up until 100 volume on high gain before. Really hoping it's not a op-amp D:

Apr 12, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #2,485 of 3,608
Anyone experience a raised noise floor with their x7? I used to only have a background buzz with the X2 or X00 above 50 volume high gain, but now I'm getting it with the K712 and HE400I which were silent up until 100 volume on high gain before. Really hoping it's not a op-amp D:

Only with v5i and only with the power supply of my router plugged into the same power strip as the X7.

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #2,486 of 3,608
Only with v5i and only with the power supply of my router plugged into the same power strip as the X7.

The V5i had a higher noise floor? I'll try a different power bar before trying the stock op-amps then, thanks!

Apr 12, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #2,487 of 3,608
The V5i had a higher noise floor? I'll try a different power bar before trying the stock op-amps then, thanks!

They don't, once I unplugged the power supply they became dead quiet. It seems they're just more sensitive to dirty power.

Apr 12, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #2,488 of 3,608

They don't, once I unplugged the power supply they became dead quiet. It seems they're just more sensitive to dirty power.

Ah yes, makes sense. I have the V5i in the LD1+ which has lowered the noise floor, so I was confused at first.

So, I fixed the issue with the buzzing. Maybe this short story will help someone, someday.

I started by using a new power bar with just the X7 plugged in, no difference. Then I used a different power adapter of the same power, no difference again.
Next, I removed all 4 Sparkos op-amps and put the stock op-amps in. Fixed the issue. I thought maybe the Sparkos has become a little loose, so I put them back in and the buzzing was also gone. I figured, problem fixed and it's not my Sparkos, whew.
Then, I plugged both digital optical cables, and the 4 RCAs into the input and output back in through a ground loop isolator. Problem came back, so I first unplugged the LD1+ from the output, then the ps4 chat adapter RCAs from the input. It was the input that was the issue, but it only seemed to be a big issue while running through the ground loop isolator, which has helped with the output (Little Dot). The problem is still there, yet lesser, when using the input without the isolator but it is strange as this was never an issue before. Either way, leaving the input unplugged when not in use, and won't be running them through the isolator.

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #2,489 of 3,608
Ah yes, makes sense. I have the V5i in the LD1+ which has lowered the noise floor, so I was confused at first.

So, I fixed the issue with the buzzing. Maybe this short story will help someone, someday.

I started by using a new power bar with just the X7 plugged in, no difference. Then I used a different power adapter of the same power, no difference again.

Next, I removed all 4 Sparkos op-amps and put the stock op-amps in. Fixed the issue. I thought maybe the Sparkos has become a little loose, so I put them back in and the buzzing was also gone. I figured, problem fixed and it's not my Sparkos, whew.

Then, I plugged both digital optical cables, and the 4 RCAs into the input and output back in through a ground loop isolator. Problem came back, so I first unplugged the LD1+ from the output, then the ps4 chat adapter RCAs from the input. It was the input that was the issue, but it only seemed to be a big issue while running through the ground loop isolator, which has helped with the output (Little Dot). The problem is still there, yet lesser, when using the input without the isolator but it is strange as this was never an issue before. Either way, leaving the input unplugged when not in use, and won't be running them through the isolator.

How high is the volume for you to hear the noise floor? Are you able to hear the floor during quiet passages of music or in quiet areas during gaming?

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #2,490 of 3,608
How high is the volume for you to hear the noise floor? Are you able to hear the floor during quiet passages of music or in quiet areas during gaming?

With the input plugged in with the isolator, the noise buzz started being immediately noticeable at about 40 volume on high gain with the 2 harder to drive headphones.
This was a little noticible in gaming, but with the line in unplugged its dead silent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back