Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
May 20, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #1,684 of 3,608
Neither Burson nor Dexxa are small enough to fit inside the X7.

May 20, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #1,688 of 3,608
  I'll wait til you get your hands on it before I make the purchase.  Don't want to plunge on the 3601 then find out 3602 also fits perfectly and sound superior to 3601 :p  Until then, I'll rock my OPA827's.  Thanks guys!

They aren't mutually exclusive. SS3602 are used on the I/V conversion stage and the SS3601 on the differential to single ended stage. They can be used together.

May 20, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #1,689 of 3,608
They aren't mutually exclusive. SS3602 are used on the I/V conversion stage and the SS3601 on the differential to single ended stage. They can be used together.

First post seems to indicate that the stock I/V op amp does more than a capable job against SOME competition (though the SS3602 was not tested). The SS3601 offers a considerable SQ improvement for half the cost of the SS3602. I'm sure, paired together, you would have ideal results, but it seems like the stock I/V op amp is sufficient (read: probably insufficient to us on Head-Fi).

May 20, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #1,690 of 3,608
They are pricy, I definitely agree on that. But despite the X7s flaws I consider it an overall great device. Versatile and great sounding.
I'd have to spend a considerable amount of money in order to achieve the same degree of functionality and SQ using separate devices. That's why I don't want to get rid of the X7, it fits my life too much.
However it seems that I've been hanging around on Head-Fi for long enough that I may have caught a disease known as "upgraditis". Even though I enjoy the way my setup sounds I am not 100% satisfied with it and always look for an improvement.
So now we have a conflict. On one hand, I want to keep the X7 as a core part of my setup. On the other hand, I want better sound. The only way to bring these two ideas together is by replacing the op-amps. Which is why I don't mind the SS3602 being so expensive. I'm going to buy them anyway. And I'll be damn happy about it.

May 20, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #1,692 of 3,608
  They are pricy, I definitely agree on that. But despite the X7s flaws I consider it an overall great device. Versatile and great sounding.
I'd have to spend a considerable amount of money in order to achieve the same degree of functionality and SQ using separate devices. That's why I don't want to get rid of the X7, it fits my life too much.
However it seems that I've been hanging around on Head-Fi for long enough that I may have caught a disease known as "upgraditis". Even though I enjoy the way my setup sounds I am not 100% satisfied with it and always look for an improvement.
So now we have a conflict. On one hand, I want to keep the X7 as a core part of my setup. On the other hand, I want better sound. The only way to bring these two ideas together is by replacing the op-amps. Which is why I don't mind the SS3602 being so expensive. I'm going to buy them anyway. And I'll be damn happy about it.

That's a good way. A remarkably better setup costs a lot more. Plus a new headphone anyway. Imo that Shure is right there with the X7. No need to go higher. 

May 20, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #1,694 of 3,608

Hey man, so if you were going for a better setup and get rid of the X7, which DAC / Amp would you go for? Thx

Also, when you bought the OP Amp, did u have to buy 2 x SS3601? that's $40 x 2 = $80.

May 20, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #1,695 of 3,608
I was wondering if there are any high quality dynamic microphones that would work with the X7 if I were to use an XLR to 3.5mm cable? I think the X7 provides 5V phantom power from what I've read but I'm unsure if any dynamic mic exists that 5V would be sufficient for...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back