Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
May 17, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #1,666 of 3,608
Getting annoyed with the adapter. Was testing mic level on ps4 and its all crackly and distorted. I known the mic is OK as it's fine on the mixamp.
Sometimes its OK. I moved the unit close to ps4 and no different

May 17, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #1,667 of 3,608
Getting annoyed with the adapter. Was testing mic level on ps4 and its all crackly and distorted. I known the mic is OK as it's fine on the mixamp.
Sometimes its OK. I moved the unit close to ps4 and no different

Mic levels on the x7 are the worst. On my pc I am either so low that no one can hear me or if I boost the mic it distorts and cracks and they get annoyed. I have tired 4 different mics, all the same problem. Def the crappy mic in on this thing

May 18, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #1,668 of 3,608
Mic levels on the x7 are the worst. On my pc I am either so low that no one can hear me or if I boost the mic it distorts and cracks and they get annoyed. I have tired 4 different mics, all the same problem. Def the crappy mic in on this thing

My experience has been the opposite. Friends on ps4 tell me that I'm much clearer now than I was with my mixamp.

May 18, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #1,670 of 3,608
Hopefully, someone can help, shed a little light etc.

Had it 2 days, updated the firmware, if I touch the calibration under speakers the front left sounds "robotic" almost, anything other than the preset of 7.2ft will distort etc

Always more than one problem, wouldn't be any fun otherwise, If I enable Surround in the SBX Pro it mutes the speakers, does the same for the Headphone. When reflashing I have speakers and headphones disconnected.

If anyone knows anything regarding those would be helpful, I have tried switching back to the older firmware, and trying again, and redownloading etc, still no luck.

And if I could have help with one issue, I split my Headphone/Speaker usage 50/50, I understand I have to have windows set to 5.1 for the proper surround effect etc when using headphones, but when I switch to speakers which is 2.0, it hard switches the windows setting, is this the norm and any workaround, as its a little tedious having to reset it every time, am I missing out leaving it permanently on 5.1 when switching over to speakers etc.

Otherwise, sounds great, but the Firmware issue and calibration problem are a good cause for RMA.

May 19, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #1,671 of 3,608
After the flurry of posts regarding the SS3601 from Sparkos Labs, I placed an order.  They arrived last night and the installation was a breeze.  Removing the stock LME49710 resulted in some bent pins, but i was able to straighten them out.  However, I won't be going back due the fact that the SS3601s sound so much better. 

Up to this point, I was completely happy with my X7.  It was a huge improvement in SQ over my mixamp/m-stage combo that I'd used before, but the SS3601's remove a veil that I didn't know existed.  Now the sound is crystal clear, full and the separation is improved.

I will stress what Yethal posted earlier, but take care when removing and installing the op amps.  The stock LME49710 op amps are very flimsy and sit more or less flush with the connection, so removal was tough.  Ended up bending a lot of the pins on the left op amp that is positioned close to the plastic casing of the X7.  Like I said earlier, I gently bent them back in place, but just a word of caution.

Same goes for the SS3601s.  It will be a very, very tight fit on the left side, and the silicon chip will literally hug the side of the X7 casework.  This means that it will be difficult to remove.  I attempted to remove the SS3601s last night, just to A-B with the old LME49710s, and ended up with a MINOR bend of a pin or two on the SS3601 on the left.  I was able to gently straighten it out, but be careful.

I assume a minor recorrection of a bent pin won't affect performance of the op-amp...anyone able to comment on that?  They're still pumping out amazing sound, at least.

May 19, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #1,672 of 3,608
  After the flurry of posts regarding the SS3601 from Sparkos Labs, I placed an order.  They arrived last night and the installation was a breeze.  Removing the stock LME49710 resulted in some bent pins, but i was able to straighten them out.  However, I won't be going back due the fact that the SS3601s sound so much better. 

Up to this point, I was completely happy with my X7.  It was a huge improvement in SQ over my mixamp/m-stage combo that I'd used before, but the SS3601's remove a veil that I didn't know existed.  Now the sound is crystal clear, full and the separation is improved.

I will stress what Yethal posted earlier, but take care when removing and installing the op amps.  The stock LME49710 op amps are very flimsy and sit more or less flush with the connection, so removal was tough.  Ended up bending a lot of the pins on the left op amp that is positioned close to the plastic casing of the X7.  Like I said earlier, I gently bent them back in place, but just a word of caution.

Same goes for the SS3601s.  It will be a very, very tight fit on the left side, and the silicon chip will literally hug the side of the X7 casework.  This means that it will be difficult to remove.  I attempted to remove the SS3601s last night, just to A-B with the old LME49710s, and ended up with a MINOR bend of a pin or two on the SS3601 on the left.  I was able to gently straighten it out, but be careful.

I assume a minor recorrection of a bent pin won't affect performance of the op-amp...anyone able to comment on that?  They're still pumping out amazing sound, at least.

I'm glad You're happy with them too. As for the bent pins, do You mean the actual pins on the chip or the extenders (there are two sets of extenders, not just one)? If all You bent is an extender then it's not a problem, these can be easily replaced.

May 19, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #1,673 of 3,608

I'm glad You're happy with them too. As for the bent pins, do You mean the actual pins on the chip or the extenders (there are two sets of extenders, not just one)? If all You bent is an extender then it's not a problem, these can be easily replaced.

Actual pin (sadly).  It was minor and I very carefully corrected it so that it was able to be installed correctly.

Mine only shipped with one set of extenders.  Pulled those off before installing because I was under the assumption that 1) I would need the clearance; and 2) SQ would be marginally better (from what I've read elsewhere).

EDIT:

Check the tape.  Looking back at your photos, it seems like I removed the very flimsy exterior extender with the silver colored prongs, but left the sturdier gold extender on for my installation, so if that is indeed a second extender, then that is where the formerly bent pins were.

May 19, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #1,674 of 3,608

Actual pin (sadly).  It was minor and I very carefully corrected it so that it was able to be installed correctly.

Mine only shipped with one set of extenders.  Pulled those off before installing because I was under the assumption that 1) I would need the clearance; and 2) SQ would be marginally better (from what I've read elsewhere).

EDIT:

Check the tape.  Looking back at your photos, it seems like I removed the very flimsy exterior extender with the silver colored prongs, but left the sturdier gold extender on for my installation, so if that is indeed a second extender, then that is where the formerly bent pins were.

Then it's not a problem, the second set of extenders can be safely replaced. I remember reading a review that mentioned slightly increased transparency after removing the second set of extenders and attaching the op-amps directly to the socket, however I'm not willing to risk trying that.

May 19, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #1,675 of 3,608

did you get dual or single stack?  in fact, does the duals work on the X7? Thanks

May 19, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #1,677 of 3,608
I talked with Andrew about that. Ss3602 with no extenders are about as tall as ss3601 with one set of extenders so they should fit. However they should be used on the I/V conversion stage and not the differential to single ended stage.

May 20, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #1,680 of 3,608
I'm willing to. Just tell me what I need to buy, then I'll test it. 

Edit: DAMN I'M WAVING THE FLAG. That's more than 260€ to Germany. 
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back