Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
May 13, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #1,651 of 3,608
Hey guys.  Andrew from Sparkos Labs here.  I would like to thank Yethal for trying out the devices and posting his impressions.  If any of you would like to give them a try or if you have any questions, please contact me on my website. 

To answer Vinakro's question, yes, there are two single op amps that one would need.  I believe the other two stock op amps are duals, and my dual devices are a bit tall to fit in there and still be able to replace the cover - which is a shame.  If you dont care about the cover, One could replace the duals in there as well. 

May 13, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #1,652 of 3,608
Hey guys.  Andrew from Sparkos Labs here.  I would like to thank Yethal for trying out the devices and posting his impressions.  If any of you would like to give them a try or if you have any questions, please contact me on my website. 

To answer Vinakro's question, yes, there are two single op amps that one would need.  I believe the other two stock op amps are duals, and my dual devices are a bit tall to fit in there and still be able to replace the cover - which is a shame.  If you dont care about the cover, One could replace the duals in there as well. 

I bought earlier this spring those ss3601 singles and really like it! Now i thinking to try those dual amps too.

May 13, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #1,653 of 3,608
Great post! You've convinced me.

Do you think that it improves performance which might enhance gaming sound quality (sound stage, etc)?

If they do improve the soundstage, I haven't noticed. However the improved clarity should help to locate footsteps.

I noticed this as well with K712s and X7 that I use at work. I switched them over to high-gain and everything just sounded better. Of course I lowered the volume down to compensate for the gain, but everything just sounded just better, as if the low gain wasn't giving enough power to the headphones. 

I would gladly keep my X7 I use at home on high-gain, but I'm always scared that it make do one of those weird random noise things and blow out my K812s. 

From what I gathered, the gain switch on the X7 just unlocks the full voltage swing of the amp so You may be right about low gain being underpowered.

I think the duals would fit if both set of extenders were removed.

In this configuration (one of the two sets of extenders) there is still slight clearance between the single opamp and the cover. So if we remove both sets of extenders from the duals they should fit, if only barely.

@Evshrug - They're 80$ for a pair + shipping.

May 13, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #1,655 of 3,608
If You don't bend the pins it should be fine. I'd still listen to @earfonia's advice and test them with cheap headphones first.

Single opamps transmit a single audio signal and dual channel transmit two channels. In X7 case they perform a different function within the amp.

May 13, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #1,657 of 3,608
I would recommend you read earfonia's description of rolling opamps in his review and remember to put the number one pin in the correct position. He recommends to check with a voltmeter which I didn't do but I definitely used my cheapest set of headphones before I used my expensive sets.
I was definitely impressed with the Sparkos discrete opamps.  

May 13, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #1,658 of 3,608
I connected the X7 to a separate power circuit (different than the one all my other stuff is plugged into), connected the X7 to my phone via Bluetooth and played music for an hour on cheapest headphones I have. I recommend doing that just in case.

May 14, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #1,659 of 3,608

This could be an eventual thing. I'll google for your website, and bookmark it for future fun funds.

If they do improve the soundstage, I haven't noticed. However the improved clarity should help to locate footsteps.
From what I gathered, the gain switch on the X7 just unlocks the full voltage swing of the amp so You may be right about low gain being underpowered.

I think the duals would fit if both set of extenders were removed.

In this configuration (one of the two sets of extenders) there is still slight clearance between the single opamp and the cover. So if we remove both sets of extenders from the duals they should fit, if only barely.

@Evshrug
- They're 80$ for a pair + shipping.

Buying things for me? :p
But seriously, could happen some day. The X7 is pretty great with Mid-Fi headphones, but my new HD800s sound a little thin in the mids straight out of the X7. Would be cool to try it one day, even if it just helps my K612.

May 14, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #1,660 of 3,608
This could be an eventual thing. I'll google for your website, and bookmark it for future fun funds.
Buying things for me? :p
But seriously, could happen some day. The X7 is pretty great with Mid-Fi headphones, but my new HD800s sound a little thin in the mids straight out of the X7. Would be cool to try it one day, even if it just helps my K612.

You won't regret it. Pinky promise.

May 15, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #1,662 of 3,608
If direct mode is supposed to be pure, why do I hear nothing when I enable it on ps4?

Direct mode only works if two channel PCM is sent via optical. It will not work with Dolby Digital

Users who are viewing this thread

Back