Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions
Feb 24, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #1,456 of 3,608
Interesting Op Amps I measured & decided they wouldn't fit. The tolerance of the one near the edge looked too tight you didn't have to bend anything to get them to fit?

Reading the reviews at the website make them sound like the second coming. If you are primarily using the X7  for listening to music.

http://sparkoslabs.com/discrete-op-amps/reviews/

No need bending! They just fit and the cover goes closed.

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #1,457 of 3,608
Thanks for the reply I was reading this one review and I am curious if you removed the extenders. It doesn't sound crucial for a better sound but I think the opamp would seat better and make better contact. Definitely looking forward to getting these as now some one else figured out that they'd fit
L3000.gif
Thanks for recommending these. Was it hard lining up the legs?

http://www.dagogo.com/eastern-electric-minimax-tube-dac-supreme-discrete-opamps-survey

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #1,458 of 3,608
  Thanks for the reply I was reading this one review and I am curious if you removed the extenders. It doesn't sound crucial for a better sound but I think the opamp would seat better and make better contact. Definitely looking forward to getting these as now some one else figured out that they'd fit
L3000.gif
Thanks for recommending these. Was it hard lining up the legs?

http://www.dagogo.com/eastern-electric-minimax-tube-dac-supreme-discrete-opamps-survey

Not hard just put it in. If you think replace NJM2114D you need ss3602 duals and i think they fit too put then cover not go place.
i only replace those LME49710 single amps.

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #1,460 of 3,608
This is disappointing. I'm strictly a try hard. I was saving up for this beast. What year is your mixamp?

My current version is the 2015. 

But there's hope- based on the recommended settings from another forum:

SBX Studio- Surround 100%; Crystallizer 70%; Bass 20% (with Crystalizer and Bass being optional)
Cinematic- set to Full
Equalizer- set to Acoustic w/ level at 2dB

I gave this set up a shot for a while last night and I have to admit it was pretty darn good. However, I opted to stick with a custom EQ (tweaked for higher bass/mids and flat treble), 100% Surround, Bass setting off, and Crystalizer at 60%. This seems to give me not only better position, but a bit more depth in terms of 'how far' the enemy is. I tried the Scout Mode but wasn't impressed at all. I think I'm getting closer to my MixAmp, and I'm pretty confident I will find a setting I will ultimately be very happy with. Also, I will say the soundstage just sounds much more 'massive' with the X7 compared to my MixAmp. Even though the positional cues are not as 'pin-point' accurate, I'm hearing sounds that I just can't get with my MixAmp. I'm definitely happy overall with the X7 as it provides such an amazing audio experience for all my games, and obviously blows the MixAmp away when listening to music. Plus, I really love being able to tweak my settings in order to create that 'custom' sound that is pleasant to me- instead of just 'turning a knob' on my MixAmp (with only 4 'pre-set' eq settings). Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

Feb 24, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #1,461 of 3,608

My current version is the 2015. 

But there's hope- based on the recommended settings from another forum:

SBX Studio- Surround 100%; Crystallizer 70%; Bass 20% (with Crystalizer and Bass being optional)
Cinematic- set to Full
Equalizer- set to Acoustic w/ level at 2dB

I gave this set up a shot for a while last night and I have to admit it was pretty darn good. However, I opted to stick with a custom EQ (tweaked for higher bass/mids and flat treble), 100% Surround, Bass setting off, and Crystalizer at 60%. This seems to give me not only better position, but a bit more depth in terms of 'how far' the enemy is. I tried the Scout Mode but wasn't impressed at all. I think I'm getting closer to my MixAmp, and I'm pretty confident I will find a setting I will ultimately be very happy with. Also, I will say the soundstage just sounds much more 'massive' with the X7 compared to my MixAmp. Even though the positional cues are not as 'pin-point' accurate, I'm hearing sounds that I just can't get with my MixAmp. I'm definitely happy overall with the X7 as it provides such an amazing audio experience for all my games, and obviously blows the MixAmp away when listening to music. Plus, I really love being able to tweak my settings in order to create that 'custom' sound that is pleasant to me- instead of just 'turning a knob' on my MixAmp (with only 4 'pre-set' eq settings). Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

Oh, that's interesting, please share the setting when you are done adjusting, I'd really love to give it a try :)

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #1,462 of 3,608
Just got this device myself and just wondering if I could use the line out to connect to an amp or the line in from another dac to use the amp?

From earphonia's review, I got the impression you could do this. Has anyone tried this?

Feb 24, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #1,463 of 3,608
  Just got this device myself and just wondering if I could use the line out to connect to an amp or the line in from another dac to use the amp?

From earphonia's review, I got the impression you could do this. Has anyone tried this?

you could use the line out to connect to an external amp...but the line in goes through the ADC...it doesn't go straight to the X7's amp section.

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #1,464 of 3,608
Noticed I've been getting that weird issue of the X7 defaulting to speaker when I turn it on, and not reading that there is a headphone connected at all. Basically, every time I turn the X7 on after a long span of it being off, I have to always disconnect and reconnect my headphones for it to register.

So if you one day don't hear any audio, always check it's not on speaker/and reattach your headphones. I almost made the mistake of raised the volume thinking it was on mute or something. Creative, things like this seriously need to be addressed. You're gonna end up killing some gear because of these weird bugs. I'm talking $1500 headphones that aren't mine.

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #1,465 of 3,608
My X7 is currently doing the same thing but even plugging in the headphones won't make them register.
I have to use the control panel and manually switch it every time.

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #1,469 of 3,608
With the X7, I always use high gain if I can get away with it.

Archer,
Perhaps check the mixer settings... Make sure Bluetooth volume is set to full 100%, if so maybe reduce S/PDIF volume a little. I'm not sure why your BO3 sounds so thin and maybe even off-pitch (chipmunks and crumpling paper?!).

If all else fails, put the X7 and all in-game audio settings back to defaults. That should fix the audio balance problems. My review was mostly PS4 and gaming-centric, and BO3 sounds fine to me (with AKG K612 headphones), the only chipmunks I hear are 12-year-olds playing an M-rated game.

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #1,470 of 3,608
  Need some opinion, I'm using AKG's K7xx with the X7. I know they are a bit hard to drive but their impedance is 62 Ohm. Do you guys think I should use the high gain because of this, or will the normal gain drive them fine? Thanks

I agree with the others; go with the high gain. K7XX will probably be at about 25-30% on high gain. 

The only time I would use low gain is if I were using low-imepedance iems. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back